Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-30-2018, 07:14 PM   #1

Exclamation Satellite Internet *and* DirecTV Coax Question

Greetings All!

Recently upgraded our trailer to a North Point 387 RDFS and have officially transitioned to FT living (LOVE IT!!!). Plan is to stay put for a year before splitting our time between a few spots each year, keeping our current site as home base.

My husband and I both work remotely so internet needs exceed our current Verizon mobile hotspot throttled caps. We decided to bite the bullet and get Viasat for our home base site, along with DirecTV. Install for Viasat is tomorrow and DTV is Thursday.

The question we can't figure out is what plugs into where?

On the outside, we have three distinct coax ports, one for TV, one for SAT, and one for AUX.

TV we understand, and currently use it, with the signal boost on.

SAT makes sense to me. AUX is a bit more of a mystery.... especially since the only corresponding outlet we can find inside is by the living room TV which is labeled "SAT/AUX". (Why would there be two plugs outside and only one inside?)

Our original thinking was that we could use the AUX outside connection for Viasat and the SAT for DirecTV - but since they both appear to route to one inside outlet (hopefully I'm just missing another one?), I don't see how that could work. Also, I have seen a few forum posts mention that the TV connection won't work for a SAT connection, even if you turn the booster off.

Bottom line - I'm hoping for a little shared expertise or experience on how the coax lines are routed... and/or whether or not we will be able to have to independent "satellite hookups".... one for internet and one for DTV of course.

Many thanks!

-David
c150flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:39 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the move to full timing.

Sorry. I got nothin' related to your question(s).
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:12 PM   #3

Easiest way to determine coax routing is to take a short piece of coax and connect it to each of the inputs you mention, ie, one at a time. Then on the end of the short coax, connect the center conductor to the outer shield (metal part of connector). Using a multimeter go to each coax connector in the coach and put one probe on the center and the other on the screw on part. When you get a short (zero reading) the two points have continuity. Move to the next input and repeat.

One connector in the coach, that is sort of disguised, is the one on the antenna power amplifier.

Also, it would be wise to pull the access panel and get some idea where the coax lines go. You may find, as I did, that one of the coax lines goes to a splitter (usually SAT input). SAT will not work with the splitter in the line. Remove and do more continuity checks and decide where you want SAT or ?? to go.
redjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:31 AM   #4

Welcome from Alabama.
On my 315 I have Sat/Cable/Aux on the outside. Sat goes to the living room TV, Cable to all TV's and Aux to bedroom and basement TV's.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:07 AM   #5

Contact Jayco with your VIN number and they'll email you a schematic of the coax showing where everything goes.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2naEagle View Post
Welcome from Alabama.
On my 315 I have Sat/Cable/Aux on the outside. Sat goes to the living room TV, Cable to all TV's and Aux to bedroom and basement TV's.
Thank you so much! I'd arrived at a similar conclusion. I guess this means that we could try to use the cable to get both TVs on the DirecTV and maybe Aux for the Internet and just route it through the basement or something.

Hoping the install guy might know...
Old 10-31-2018, 04:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Contact Jayco with your VIN number and they'll email you a schematic of the coax showing where everything goes.
I will definitely do that... thank you!!!
Old 10-31-2018, 05:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2naEagle View Post
Welcome from Alabama.
x2. On my 2018 293RKDS the coaxial cables were crossed from the factory and did not go the tv they should have. Had to change the cables around outside to get them going to the correct tv. From the factory, Aux was going to living room tv.
Bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:39 AM   #9

Update: Both Viasat AND DirecTV were installed yesterday!

The Viasat guy said the wires inside the camper would degrade the signal so he ran the cord from outside underneath the living room slide. The DirecTV guy utilized the SAT plug and was able to route it to both interior TVs, so all is good!

Thanks again for all the helpful replies and suggestions! I really look forward to becoming a more active member in this forum!

Warmest Regards,

David & Eddie

Tags
coaxial, directv, fulltimer, satellite internet