Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-24-2014, 02:49 PM   #1

satellite meter

Boy, talk about the cat's meow, I just found a birddog satellite meter on eBay for less than $130. It was the USB Plus made by Perfect 10. No more having the DW holler back and forth 90, 93, 85, etc. LOL. Came in the mail in a couple days and I practiced out in the yard and got it all figured out. Can't wait for the next trip. I know all you guys that like to bike, hike, and all the other outdoor stuff are probably laughing your heads off now, but I have done all that! Now I like to sit back, enjoy my campfire, and watch a good football game with a cold brew! I may start me a sideline business of lining up the satellites in the park for all those guys having trouble!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:24 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Please educate me. I am thinking about buying a Pathway X2 system. Is there an advantage to just buying a much cheaper conventional dish on a tripod and manually setting up besides the cost?
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:22 PM   #3

There are plenty of signal meters that cost $20 or less. No need to spend big bucks. Tuning in the sat is really pretty easy if you do your homework and take your time. A cheap signal meter will zero in the signal after you have leveled the tripod, set the skew and elevation [Dish] angles, and rough aimed the Dish. The cheap ones may kick the bucket after a year or two but so far mine have lasted 3 + years and the ones I'm using were purchased on line for less than $10 each. Leave one connected in line right next to the tripod. The one on my houseboat has been out in the weather on top of the boat for the last 2 seasons.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 05:43 AM   #4

I use this inexpensive TONE meter that still works like gangbusters for us...
Made by winegard...

I got one of these portable dish for my HOME DIRECTV acct. This has a compass on it and also AZ marks etc. Being flat on the bottom it sit on my truck folding hard plastic bed cover just fine. being on my truck always reminded me to store the dish before leaving the area.

This one came with a two port head for DIRECTV.

As you can see you can wind up a good couple hundred feet of RG6 antenna cable. It also mounts to to almost anything. It also folds up for storage while in route.

I would run one RG cable port to the living room TV area and the second RG cable port to the bedroom area. Here I would hookup to a SAT RCVR I brought along with me from home.

The I would hook the VIDEO OUTPUT cables of the SAT RCVR to the VIDEO INPUTS on my VIZIO 22-INCH HDTV.

Now I can watch SAT TV or CABLE/OTA TV by using the TV remotes.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:22 AM   #5

I have used the inexpensive satellite finder like the one in Roy's pictures for years. I still have two of them and the audio has crapped out on one. Signal meter still works. Those still work fine as long as you know what you are doing. Its not that I really need one of the professional grade meters, it is more of a "want". LOl
As for wwsmith's question, the biggest advantage of the portable dish besides cost is that you can move the dish around to get a clear line of site to the SW to receive a clear signal. Not sure if the pathway dish you mention is permanently mounted or not. We like to camp in secluded spots with lots of shade and being able to move the dish is paramount! Hope that helps, and thanks to all for your posts. This is by far one of the most informative and fun forums I have been on.

Joe Hinson
Old 10-25-2014, 06:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwsmith111 View Post
Please educate me. I am thinking about buying a Pathway X2 system. Is there an advantage to just buying a much cheaper conventional dish on a tripod and manually setting up besides the cost?
wwsmith, I just looked up the pathway. That is one you just set on the ground. That would work great for you if you are on dish network. The one drawback for me is most of the portable dishes like that do not work on high definition for direct TV. I love my direct TV because I am also a football nut and get the NFL package. That is not available on dish network so that is a deal killer for me. We get sorta vain in our old age! LOL

Joe Hinson