Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-17-2019, 09:57 PM   #1

Satellite reception

Just bought a new 2020 317rlok fifth wheel and am having a problem getting satellite reception. We have the Dish Playmaker and the Wally receiver. The thing works if I hook it up directly to the receiver but when I hook it up to the RV connection it does not work. Had any out had this issue?
Tvpimentel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 06:53 AM   #2

VERY common issue. One thinks since cable TV signals pass ok, why not satellite. There is one MAJOR difference that needs to be addressed and that is that satellite receivers need to be able to power the dish thru the coax and anything that blocks or drastically attenuates that ability causes the setup to fail.

RV builders, even though they label connections as "Sat", regularly ignore this need and install components or wire the RV as such that this power passing requirement isn't possible without further modification on your part. That's why it works when direct connected and doesn't when you hook it up to the RV.

The challenge, if your up to it, is to find out what is blocking or attenuating this power requirement enough so things don't work when directly connected to your RV. It can be one or a combination of a couple things. Here are a couple of things I have found that were causes for others, including myself.

OEM splitters used are not "power passing".

Both Dish and DirecTV need to power their receivers thru the coax connected to the dish and anything in the coax run that either blocks or attenuates this power will cause things to fail. Locating and replacing any splitters in the RV's coax run with "compatible" ones from Dish or DirecTV can resolve this issue. Don't worry, these splitters will still work with traditional antenna or cable TV signals also.

Too long of a coax run and/or quality of coax run outside.

You need to not only make sure your accounting for the length of coax used in the RV as well as what runs between your RV and the dish to determine the "max length" recommended by the manufacturer or Dish but make sure your using high grade RG6 coax outside as well. Basic rule, higher grade coax is best and the shorter the run between the RV and dish the better to help with attenuation of power and signal passing between the dish and receiver.

Using barrel connectors to connect more than one coax piece together.

These barrel connectors are used not only in wall plates behind the TV but in the docking station as well so you usually have at least 2 in the coax path already. Adding more outside to connect shorter lengths of coax together just compounds the issue. Although it's not much, they do attenuate both the dish signal and the power needed to pass between the receiver and dish. If there are too many, they combine to attenuate the power and/or signal to a point where it won't work.

Hooked up to the wrong port/connector either behind the TV or in the docking station. Manufacturers are notorious for not using a lot of "logic" when connecting and labeling their coax connections. On our Eagle, the Sat2/Aux port went to the LR where the "Sat1" connection went to the BR.

Only one outside connection. If you only have one single port on the outside of the RV or in the docking station, chances are high that this feed is going to a wall plate behind your TV with the antenna amplifier built into it. Regardless of whether the amplifier is turned on for the antenna or off for cable TV, it simply will not allow the necessary power to pass from the receiver to power the dish so it won't work in any instance.

So some find and replace splitters, limit the barrel connectors and coax length. Some just fish a new coax run to use solely for satellite and others just give up and direct connect their stuff thru a slide out seal, window or door. Hope this helps.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:02 AM   #3

Lots of satellites dishes out there. Your Playmaker (I believe) needs to have power to find the signals. Wally box has to send that power through the coaxial wire. My Pathway has a diagram on the last page showing how to connect to the side of your RV. I gave up and just ran the coaxial cable thru the window (Like many do).

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:08 AM   #4

Good information above. Also, Jayco uses or used cable that has a copper plated steel center conductor; and uses crimped connectors. Both of which are not recommended by Dish or DirecTV: the center conductor should be pure copper and the connectors should be compression connectors.

The best solution, I think, is to run your own dedicated satellite cable connector - much easier than trying to track down and repair what the trailer manufacturer messed up.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:27 AM   #5

On my 317rlok I have to hook the satellite up to the aux to get it to work in the living room and satellite to get it to work in the bedroom.
bender88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
Good information above. Also, Jayco uses or used cable that has a copper plated steel center conductor; and uses crimped connectors. Both of which are not recommended by Dish or DirecTV: the center conductor should be pure copper and the connectors should be compression connectors.

The best solution, I think, is to run your own dedicated satellite cable connector - much easier than trying to track down and repair what the trailer manufacturer messed up.
Yep, why I mentioned "high quality" coax outside as well. The coax in our 2017 Eagle TT has copper core and factory type compression fittings akin to what you would find on coax purchased from HD or Lowes. Definitely supplied to Jayco that way vs. line crew cutting coax and crimping on ends. Ours was also easily accessed under our bathroom vanity along with the water pump and water heater so easy swap out.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender88 View Post
On my 317rlok I have to hook the satellite up to the aux to get it to work in the living room and satellite to get it to work in the bedroom.
That's backwards and mine was like that too. But I switched them on the backside of the docking station so they are now correct. AUX should be the bedroom sat connection.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:52 PM   #8

On my 2020 321rsts I had to hook it up to the Aux port to work in the living room. I drove my wife to the brink of divorce working on it. Even bought a coax cable tester to verify connectivity. Now that I hook it to the Aux port it works great
rmorrison9773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorrison9773 View Post
On my 2020 321rsts I had to hook it up to the Aux port to work in the living room. I drove my wife to the brink of divorce working on it. Even bought a coax cable tester to verify connectivity. Now that I hook it to the Aux port it works great
Same here on my 2019 Jayco 355mbqs! Satellite connection would not work. Tried the auxiliary, Dish came on. Exact same thing happened on our Open Range where the cable and satellite were reversed. That one took me days to find out what the problem was. Totally ridiculous.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:55 PM   #10

I was lucky........my "satellite" hook up in the docking station actually fed the living room. Now the bedroom was a whole bag of worms. The only thing I could get to the bedroom was either cable or OTA. Finally gave up and got a HDMI extender. Can now get satellite to the bedroom and outdoor TV. Works flawlessly!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 05:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
I was lucky........my "satellite" hook up in the docking station actually fed the living room. Now the bedroom was a whole bag of worms. The only thing I could get to the bedroom was either cable or OTA. Finally gave up and got a HDMI extender. Can now get satellite to the bedroom and outdoor TV. Works flawlessly!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
How does the HDMI extender work? Do you have to have an additional receiver?
Old 10-18-2019, 05:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
How does the HDMI extender work? Do you have to have an additional receiver?
It works great. I only have one receiver, a Wally. The HDMI transmitter is hooked up to the Wally and the HDMI receiver is portable. I can move it from the bedroom to the outdoor TV which we do not use that much. But when we do it's very easy to move it.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 06:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
It works great. I only have one receiver, a Wally. The HDMI transmitter is hooked up to the Wally and the HDMI receiver is portable. I can move it from the bedroom to the outdoor TV which we do not use that much. But when we do it's very easy to move it.
Ok thanks. Gotta look into that.