Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-01-2015, 06:08 PM   #1

Satellite TV Connections

I'm getting ready to purchase a Winegard Travler SKM-SWM3 roof top satellite for my Jayco 361REQS. I would like to hook up to the TV in the rear living area and the TV in the bedroom (as well hookup to the coax in the storage belly for using a tv outside). Does anyone have experience hooking one of these up? The installation instructions from Winegard indicate that the splitter can be used inside or outside. So what is the best way to get cable to the front of the unit? I will mount the satellite close to the rear and drop cable down to the entertainment center next to the fireplace. But then how do I get cable to the front?

This is not my area of expertise, but I follow instructions real well. Any help would be appreciated.
Cheetah053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:37 AM   #2

The first thing I would do is to contact Jayco and get them to send you a wiring schematic for your a/v system. This way you will know for sure what your wiring looks like and where wiring is already run that you can use.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:43 AM   #3

There is something you may or may not have considered here. If you primarily go to race track or sporting events and commercial campgrounds where there are no trees to block your view of the piece of sky you will be looking at your should have no problem. However, if you generally use state parks and campgrounds where shade trees are predominant you will probably find you won't be able to use the satellite. When you are camping in these places you need a portable dish so you can position it where trees are not blocking the satellite signal.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:11 PM   #4

Thanks Ed. I don't know why I didn't think of that. They were closed today, probably due to all the snow they have but I plan to call again tomorrow.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:14 PM   #5

Most of our favorite campgrounds have a good view of the southern sky without much in the way. I do know what you mean though. We had a travel trailer before we bought our 5th wheel and we had a portable dish. We camped at one campground that was so wooded we couldn't get a clear view to the satellite no matter what we did.

Thanks for your advice.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:29 PM   #6

Thumbs down Electric Wiring Diagram

I wrote Jayco and requested a electric wiring diagram for my 2014 33RLDS and they said they would not send me one as my unit is under warranty and I should be taking it to my dealer with any wiring problems.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy W. View Post
I wrote Jayco and requested a electric wiring diagram for my 2014 33RLDS and they said they would not send me one as my unit is under warranty and I should be taking it to my dealer with any wiring problems.
x2
NO way would Jayco send me any diagrams in regards to my unit until the warranty has expired. I was just trying to get the diagram for the television cable routing.

Trial and error is the way I figured it all out.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:17 AM   #8

I didn't write to Jayco. I called them and persisted until I got to engineering. My unit was less than 30 days old and definitely still in warranty. I told them I was hooking up a satellite TV system and just needed to see which cables ran where. I found that an RG6 coax was already run to the bedroom TV and the color code was included in the schematic. It was a piece of cake to hook up.

I have read several times that they won't send the schematic while in warranty, but that isn't always the case. But my recommendation is call, don't write. I gave my email address to the engineering guy and I had the schematic in a few minutes.

It is very easy to say no when responding to an email or letter. It is much harder to say no to someone you are talking to, because the next question is "why won't you". Hard to answer.

Anyone interested in my schematic, PM me and I will email you a copy. It won't do a lot of good with your unit, but you might get an idea of how yours is set up.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
Old 02-15-2015, 11:13 PM   #9

I found an easy way to make them all work. I called an installer and for a hundred bucks he had everything working with the wires already inside the trailer in about an hour. No exposed wires. Worth every penny and he even gave au some useful tips on resetting the dish locations.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah053 View Post
Most of our favorite campgrounds have a good view of the southern sky without much in the way. I do know what you mean though. We had a travel trailer before we bought our 5th wheel and we had a portable dish. We camped at one campground that was so wooded we couldn't get a clear view to the satellite no matter what we did.
I still carry one of these,
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...FdgOgQodCUoAAg
and one of these to find the holes in the trees, came in very handy numerous times. Just use it free hand and not attached to the dish
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...e-finder/31690
Old 02-16-2015, 10:49 PM   #11

I think that's the best idea I've heard. It's encouraging that you found someone who could do this, especially since we have the same model. Did you contact a DISH installer or just a local satellite company? My local RV dealer doesn't have much experience with hooking up two receivers.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:39 PM   #12

There are several contract installer sin the phoenix area on craigslist. Most likely the same in your area. Ask for a name of someone in your area that the person has done business with and check him out.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:28 PM   #13

I did finally contact Jayco today and they did agree to email me a schematic for my unit of the coax cable connections. They also emailed me a wiring schematic. I was told that you could not get these, but they were very agreeable.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:19 AM   #14

I'm glad they helped you out Cheetah053. They definitely worked with me, but I called them as I stated previously vs an email.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:28 PM   #15

I am a DirecTV and DishNetwork dealer that deals with RV's on a regular basis. I am also a owner of a 2012 36REQS. I upgraded from a 31RKS JayFlight G2. After close to 30yrs in the Satellite and Electronics business, I can honestly say for the comparable classes, Jayco does a better job with TV wiring than almost all the manufactures. On my rig, I replaced the TV in the fireplace lift to a 42", I used the existing wiring in the rig to run my 3 receiver DirecTV SWM system, which is the same system that you are talking about, with the exception that I don't need the expensive roof mount Winegard because I have the knowledge to align my Slimline dish wherever I go. Saying all this I know it doesn't help the do-it-yourselfers, but I said this because there are very few installers that understand RV's. I wasn't near as good at figuring them out until I personally bought my first one. I have come to the conclusion that most employees that install the TV cable and the designer that tells them how to install the cable at the factory have to be crack heads. We have found f-81 barrel connectors in the frame on Heartland built units, coax with screws through it on Keystone, Thor's, Forest Rivers, and the list goes on. At least Jayco, on my Pinnacle ran a different colored coax to each location. This is not necessary for us guys that do this for a living but it's great for do-it-yourselfers. With that DirecTV system, I would run the single wire from the Dish into the compartment behind the Jensen unit next to the fireplace because the rest of the coax is there as well as the roof top antenna. Someone that knows what they are doing can send the DirecTV and the roof top antenna down the same cable if your interested in having a DirecTV box at the 3 locations. I also spread out the shelving on each side of the TV in the bedroom and was able to put a larger TV there as well. Be thankful you got a better built Jayco vs the other brands in its class. Also wish the manufactures would get a professional to show them the best way to do the wiring which would save the end user from all the aggravation that RV owners have to go through. Also the dealers are not good with the TV wiring, installation of electronics as a general rule. Don't know how many RV's a satellite customer has had to have me come back to fix after Camping World and many more of the dealers have screwed up. The Winegard works great, I've installed several, and it is the only automatic unit that I' am aware of that does DirecTV in HD. Good Luck!!
gaserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:09 PM   #16

Thanks for all the info and a 'thumbs up' for Jayco and welcome to the forum.

Please don't be a stranger. There are a lot of folks here that want to see input from professionals like yourself.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote