Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2016, 06:08 PM   #1

Sattelite Dish ?

Does anyone know if it's possible to get the Eagle prewired for the Winegard Traveller dish on the roof from the factory?
Old 04-28-2016, 06:56 PM   #2

Don't know about prewiring, but I would not do it. Why? A permanent roof mount is by design in a fixed position. It greatly restricts your site selection. A portable winegard unit can be placed where it can see the sky. I know several folks with high end MH's who also have a portable unit in addition to the one on the roof.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:15 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Don't know about prewiring, but I would not do it. Why? A permanent roof mount is by design in a fixed position. It greatly restricts your site selection. A portable winegard unit can be placed where it can see the sky. I know several folks with high end MH's who also have a portable unit in addition to the one on the roof.
X2

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:30 PM   #4

x3
2014 Dodge Ram 2500, Diesel

TEBechtold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:42 PM   #5

x4
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:19 PM   #6

Well dang... What are my other options for HD with directtv?
Old 04-29-2016, 06:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
Like others have already stated, If your content in always trying to find that campsite that has a clear view of the southern sky, then the Travl'r will work.

The only other option right now for DirecTV in HD is to obtain a portable sat setup that you will have to setup/align yourself. It gives you the greatest flexibility for receiving a signal regardless of the site you are on. Unless there is total cover from tress, etc. you can usually find a "spot" to set it up and once you have done it once or twice, one can usually set the dish up in less than an hour. After doing it a dozen times or so, I personally have it down to about 20 minutes using the setup I purchased. Is it as "convenient" as the Travl'r? Not by a long shot but if you are adamant about being able to get DirecTV in HD then those are the choices right now.

For me, the hardest part was not getting the dish setup and aligned, but rather finding a way to get the sat signal into the RV because the coax connection on most RV's that says "satellite" or "cable" use components such as non power passing splitters and amplifiers that that are still incompatible with DirecTV's newest SWiM hardware/receivers. If you have older "non SWiM" receivers, then the provided RV connection may still work.

If you decide to go the tripod route, I recommend taking a gander at a site called TV4RV.com (TV4RV: Satellite - Tripod - Slimline - Dish - DirectTV: satellite and Internet for RV - Recreational Vehicles - RVers - DishTV - Satellite Dish - FTA - Tripod). They have everything you could possibly need to get going and are great at answering any and all questions you might have. You most likely could build a portable setup somewhat cheaper than their prices but that depends on how much you know about DirecTV sat dish setups and the parts needed to get one working. There are also multiple YouTube videos out there that show you how to setup and align the dish.

Otherwise, like many others have done, you might want to consider a "pay as you go" Dish HD account for the RV and choose from a number of portable and automatic "dome" dishes that can be placed just about anywhere. For some, the additional cost associated with paying for that is much less of a hassle than setting up their own dish. Only you can make that call. Good luck.
blujay40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay40 View Post
Like others have already stated, If your content in always trying to find that campsite that has a clear view of the southern sky, then the Travl'r will work.

The only other option right now for DirecTV in HD is to obtain a portable sat setup that you will have to setup/align yourself. It gives you the greatest flexibility for receiving a signal regardless of the site you are on. Unless there is total cover from tress, etc. you can usually find a "spot" to set it up and once you have done it once or twice, one can usually set the dish up in less than an hour. After doing it a dozen times or so, I personally have it down to about 20 minutes using the setup I purchased. Is it as "convenient" as the Travl'r? Not by a long shot but if you are adamant about being able to get DirecTV in HD then those are the choices right now.

For me, the hardest part was not getting the dish setup and aligned, but rather finding a way to get the sat signal into the RV because the coax connection on most RV's that says "satellite" or "cable" use components such as non power passing splitters and amplifiers that that are still incompatible with DirecTV's newest SWiM hardware/receivers. If you have older "non SWiM" receivers, then the provided RV connection may still work.

If you decide to go the tripod route, I recommend taking a gander at a site called TV4RV.com (TV4RV: Satellite - Tripod - Slimline - Dish - DirectTV: satellite and Internet for RV - Recreational Vehicles - RVers - DishTV - Satellite Dish - FTA - Tripod). They have everything you could possibly need to get going and are great at answering any and all questions you might have. You most likely could build a portable setup somewhat cheaper than their prices but that depends on how much you know about DirecTV sat dish setups and the parts needed to get one working. There are also multiple YouTube videos out there that show you how to setup and align the dish.

Otherwise, like many others have done, you might want to consider a "pay as you go" Dish HD account for the RV and choose from a number of portable and automatic "dome" dishes that can be placed just about anywhere. For some, the additional cost associated with paying for that is much less of a hassle than setting up their own dish. Only you can make that call. Good luck.
X2
TV4RV is a great place. That is where we got our tripod. Set up improves as your skill does. Does not take long at all. As for the RV connections, I installed a separate satellite input right next to my tv. Bypass all the RV cables and go direct to the receiver and in to the tv. Works great for me.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:07 AM   #9

We have a VUCUBE satellite. It is mounted on the ladder and the wires are routed into the belly and into a drilled hole in the floor in a hidden area. After six years we have only encountered a few times of not getting a signal. We always look for satellite friendly sites. Setup time 30 seconds. The wife pushes a button.
hunter1393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:07 AM   #10

Thanks for all the reply's. I've done the tripod thing and am sick of it, I don't even take it anymore... the key words used were the "about an Hour part" not a direct quote but you get my point. We are still a working family and we don't get to camp for weeks at a time, sometimes we can only get out for a day and a nearby park. We go for fun and to relax, not an experiment in how quick can Dad get the TV working. I know that sounds contradictory as for many getting away from the TV is what they are looking for... but for us we enjoy the luxuries of home while not being at home.

I can continue to do what we are already doing, but at the same time I'm looking for convenience and sky clearance is just something to consider when pulling into a site.

Primarily I was wondering if Jayco will run the wiring in the coach during a factory build that terminates to the roof?
Old 04-29-2016, 07:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1393 View Post
We always look for satellite friendly sites. Setup time 30 seconds. The wife pushes a button.
This is what I'm talking about....
Old 04-29-2016, 07:15 AM   #12

Think Direct tv is the real problem. Dish portables are HD and most support 2 receivers. Direct only offers SD on its portables ????????? Maybe time to switch to Dish.

Contact Dish and ask them what they will offer you to switch from Direct. I would expect free equipment, free HD for life, and extra dish antenna for home and lake cabin. They might blow you off when you first call, but hold your ground. They will give you incentives to switch.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Think Direct tv is the real problem. Dish portables are HD and most support 2 receivers. Direct only offers SD on its portables ????????? Maybe time to switch to Dish.

Contact Dish and ask them what they will offer you to switch from Direct. I would expect free equipment, free HD for life, and extra dish antenna for home and lake cabin. They might blow you off when you first call, but hold your ground. They will give you incentives to switch.
While I understand exactly what your saying after my last go-round with the Dish people I cannot wrap my head around doing business with them. Yes, I thought about it. Wife reminded me why we fired them and that was that.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:41 AM   #14

I'll have my dealer call his rep and see if Jayco will run the wires. Whether I go with the system or not, Id like to have the wires there.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:50 AM   #15

Rusty, When I purchased my 2012 Eagle FBHS I had the dealer install the Winegard Traveller dish on the roof. The dealer hid all the wiring inside. I've only been to one camp site where I could not receive signal. Last July I was in a pine forest in SE OKLA and had no problem receiving signal. I've never had the other type of receivers, but the Traveller is soooooo easy. Push a button and it finds signal. FYI I have Dish Network, just that the receiver box out of the house.

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:30 AM   #16

I purchased the winegard pathway 2x last fall and have used it in my back yard [initial test], with my White Hawk on a 6 week trip earlier this year, and recently on my houseboat. It is a great device but again it supports Dish only but HD and dual receivers.

I also have gone the tripod route and took it on my recent trip. It never came out of my truck bed. Tripods get easier with use. There are 2 keys to simplifying the set up. Pre set your dish at home by checking for the zip where you will be camping. Then spend the time necessary to get the tripod post perfectly vertical. Too many people skimp on this step and that's why they have so much trouble getting a signal. Once the post is vertical, not close but center bubble vertical, and you have preset the dish, all you have to do is point it to the proper Az direction. A Signal strength meter [less than $15 for one that will work great] placed inline on the coax near the tripod will help with fine tuning. Its not rocket science. Most people fail because they don't get the thing vertical. Will never be as quick as one of the auto devices but I'll still take my tripod with me as backup. The tripod set up is also unlikely to grow legs. I will use mine when I'm set up for a long stay that justifies the longer set up process.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:29 PM   #17

The elevation on a portable unit is the key. You don't actually need to have your tri-pod perfectly level. Set it up and anchor the tri-pod. You can get a level app for your phone with a level that shows degree of tilt. Set it on the bracket on the back of the dish that attaches to the dish and adjust the dish until you get the right elevation. You can also get a needle sweep type of angle finder for around10 bucks. Does the same thing as the phone app. Then just swing the dish to azimuth and SLOWLY adjust either direction to fine tune. I use a Genie receiver from Directv and run 2 TV's and record up to 5 channels at once. You can plug into your existing cable/satellite connector. Call Jayco and ask them to send you the wiring diagram for your rv TV's. It is an easy way to go.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 04:28 AM   #18

Quote:
I campground host 8 months out of the year and I can't count the times campers with roof mount sat dishes want to move to another site or they have a portable dish (manual on a tripod or automatic) and have to use it. I wouldn't want anymore holes through my roof either.

I have a Slimline dish and on DirecTV so I get HD. If someone would come out with an automatic portable that will do HD for DirecTV I would buy one tomorrow. I can set my dish up in minutes so that isn't the problem, I'm just getting lazy in my old age.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 04:33 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
tv4rv.com

They have a tripod system I have used full time for almost 6 years now. It is a great system and very easy to find the sat. I set mine up 4 days ago at Talladega Superspeedway and had a 94% signal on sat 101 without even tweaking it. A small tweak and I had 96% or above on all sats. I don't use a traditional signal meter. I use a wireless baby monitor. Set the DirecTV sat strength screen and watch that screen outside on the monitor while the camera is aimed at the TV screen. Works great and is a bunch cheaper than a signal meter. If you have the DirecTV SWM system you can't use a cheap meter or at least not easily. Baby Monitor works like a champ.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by skijlw View Post
The elevation on a portable unit is the key. You don't actually need to have your tri-pod perfectly level. Set it up and anchor the tri-pod. You can get a level app for your phone with a level that shows degree of tilt. Set it on the bracket on the back of the dish that attaches to the dish and adjust the dish until you get the right elevation. You can also get a needle sweep type of angle finder for around10 bucks. Does the same thing as the phone app. Then just swing the dish to azimuth and SLOWLY adjust either direction to fine tune. I use a Genie receiver from Directv and run 2 TV's and record up to 5 channels at once. You can plug into your existing cable/satellite connector. Call Jayco and ask them to send you the wiring diagram for your rv TV's. It is an easy way to go.
My reference to set up for a tripod was about setting up a traditional tripod mounted dish ant. Agree that most portables do not require perfect vertical. The traditional manual dish ant set up does and like I said it is key to getting the signal quickly. An auto mobile will beat a manual every time, but if you don't have one and are having trouble tuning in your ant, you should follow my advice.