Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2016, 07:08 PM   #1

Sattelite Dish ?

Does anyone know if it's possible to get the Eagle prewired for the Winegard Traveller dish on the roof from the factory?

Old 04-28-2016, 07:56 PM   #2

Don't know about prewiring, but I would not do it. Why? A permanent roof mount is by design in a fixed position. It greatly restricts your site selection. A portable winegard unit can be placed where it can see the sky. I know several folks with high end MH's who also have a portable unit in addition to the one on the roof.

Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Don't know about prewiring, but I would not do it. Why? A permanent roof mount is by design in a fixed position. It greatly restricts your site selection. A portable winegard unit can be placed where it can see the sky. I know several folks with high end MH's who also have a portable unit in addition to the one on the roof.
X2

Don
2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:30 PM   #4

x3
2014 Dodge Ram 2500, Diesel

TEBechtold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:42 PM   #5

x4
2011 jayco 33rlds, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2008 Suzuki sx-4, hers. Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:19 PM   #6

Well dang... What are my other options for HD with directtv?
Old 04-29-2016, 07:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
Well dang... What are my other options for HD with directtv?
Like others have already stated, If your content in always trying to find that campsite that has a clear view of the southern sky, then the Travl'r will work.

The only other option right now for DirecTV in HD is to obtain a portable sat setup that you will have to setup/align yourself. It gives you the greatest flexibility for receiving a signal regardless of the site you are on. Unless there is total cover from tress, etc. you can usually find a "spot" to set it up and once you have done it once or twice, one can usually set the dish up in less than an hour. After doing it a dozen times or so, I personally have it down to about 20 minutes using the setup I purchased. Is it as "convenient" as the Travl'r? Not by a long shot but if you are adamant about being able to get DirecTV in HD then those are the choices right now.

For me, the hardest part was not getting the dish setup and aligned, but rather finding a way to get the sat signal into the RV because the coax connection on most RV's that says "satellite" or "cable" use components such as non power passing splitters and amplifiers that that are still incompatible with DirecTV's newest SWiM hardware/receivers. If you have older "non SWiM" receivers, then the provided RV connection may still work.

If you decide to go the tripod route, I recommend taking a gander at a site called TV4RV.com (TV4RV: Satellite - Tripod - Slimline - Dish - DirectTV: satellite and Internet for RV - Recreational Vehicles - RVers - DishTV - Satellite Dish - FTA - Tripod). They have everything you could possibly need to get going and are great at answering any and all questions you might have. You most likely could build a portable setup somewhat cheaper than their prices but that depends on how much you know about DirecTV sat dish setups and the parts needed to get one working. There are also multiple YouTube videos out there that show you how to setup and align the dish.

Otherwise, like many others have done, you might want to consider a "pay as you go" Dish HD account for the RV and choose from a number of portable and automatic "dome" dishes that can be placed just about anywhere. For some, the additional cost associated with paying for that is much less of a hassle than setting up their own dish. Only you can make that call. Good luck.
blujay40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay40 View Post
Like others have already stated, If your content in always trying to find that campsite that has a clear view of the southern sky, then the Travl'r will work.

The only other option right now for DirecTV in HD is to obtain a portable sat setup that you will have to setup/align yourself. It gives you the greatest flexibility for receiving a signal regardless of the site you are on. Unless there is total cover from tress, etc. you can usually find a "spot" to set it up and once you have done it once or twice, one can usually set the dish up in less than an hour. After doing it a dozen times or so, I personally have it down to about 20 minutes using the setup I purchased. Is it as "convenient" as the Travl'r? Not by a long shot but if you are adamant about being able to get DirecTV in HD then those are the choices right now.

For me, the hardest part was not getting the dish setup and aligned, but rather finding a way to get the sat signal into the RV because the coax connection on most RV's that says "satellite" or "cable" use components such as non power passing splitters and amplifiers that that are still incompatible with DirecTV's newest SWiM hardware/receivers. If you have older "non SWiM" receivers, then the provided RV connection may still work.

If you decide to go the tripod route, I recommend taking a gander at a site called TV4RV.com (TV4RV: Satellite - Tripod - Slimline - Dish - DirectTV: satellite and Internet for RV - Recreational Vehicles - RVers - DishTV - Satellite Dish - FTA - Tripod). They have everything you could possibly need to get going and are great at answering any and all questions you might have. You most likely could build a portable setup somewhat cheaper than their prices but that depends on how much you know about DirecTV sat dish setups and the parts needed to get one working. There are also multiple YouTube videos out there that show you how to setup and align the dish.

Otherwise, like many others have done, you might want to consider a "pay as you go" Dish HD account for the RV and choose from a number of portable and automatic "dome" dishes that can be placed just about anywhere. For some, the additional cost associated with paying for that is much less of a hassle than setting up their own dish. Only you can make that call. Good luck.
X2
TV4RV is a great place. That is where we got our tripod. Set up improves as your skill does. Does not take long at all. As for the RV connections, I installed a separate satellite input right next to my tv. Bypass all the RV cables and go direct to the receiver and in to the tv. Works great for me.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:07 AM   #9

We have a VUCUBE satellite. It is mounted on the ladder and the wires are routed into the belly and into a drilled hole in the floor in a hidden area. After six years we have only encountered a few times of not getting a signal. We always look for satellite friendly sites. Setup time 30 seconds. The wife pushes a button.
hunter1393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:07 AM   #10

Thanks for all the reply's. I've done the tripod thing and am sick of it, I don't even take it anymore... the key words used were the "about an Hour part" not a direct quote but you get my point. We are still a working family and we don't get to camp for weeks at a time, sometimes we can only get out for a day and a nearby park. We go for fun and to relax, not an experiment in how quick can Dad get the TV working. I know that sounds contradictory as for many getting away from the TV is what they are looking for... but for us we enjoy the luxuries of home while not being at home.

I can continue to do what we are already doing, but at the same time I'm looking for convenience and sky clearance is just something to consider when pulling into a site.

Primarily I was wondering if Jayco will run the wiring in the coach during a factory build that terminates to the roof?