Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-31-2019, 09:47 AM   #1

Saving the paint job?

Hi, we have a 2019 Pinnacle 36FBTS. We are in New Mexico presently for DH job. As I look around the campground I'm seeing a LOT of units that are bleached and faded. Is there some kind of UV resistant wax or something we can put on our unit?
Zuzieq981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:33 PM   #2

This is on my list to buy, I want to protect my paint also.

303 SiO2 Based Touchless Sealant for Paint, Glass, Wheels (30394CSR), 32oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NJXYQBW..._58KqDbBM50WGY
Jayco 19XUD 2016 (traded-in)
Tundra 2014 (traded-in)
Dargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:06 AM   #3
Site Team

Not sure if the UV resistant wax will keep the cap from oxidizing. That is a characteristic of the GEL-Coat/Clear Coat. I am not trying to be negative, but something you need to keep in mind with these GEL-Coat caps is that you need to keep a very close eye on them.

The nice thing of JAYCO is that they have a 2 year warranty that will cover the cap (lately someone said $1500 limit). It is not only JAYCO that has this issue, when I had my cap redone (2013) there were a few Prevost motor homes being done at the service center.

What you need to do is, if at any point you notice that there is a small spot that is oxidizing, you take pictures and send it to JAYCO (not dealers but corporate). This way you are on record. Hopefully they have the issue resolved, but TIME will tell.

Check the cap, especially the top, the first day of each month.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:21 PM   #4

I've been using Turtle Wax ICE based on comments elsewhere here on JOF. Washed and Waxed the truck 2 weeks ago, then washed today and the water still beaded up. Of course then it rained, but the water is still beading on the hydrophobic wax. I did not have to use the bug and tar remover at all prior to washing as the front of the truck was so easy to wipe clean without bugs sticking.

To your original question, Turtle Wax claims that this stuff offers UV protection.

The flavor of ICE that I used first was the ICE liquid wax, that comes with a microfiber towel and requires gentle buffing, but then the newer "Seal and Shine" stuff just sprays on and wipes off with no buffing at all. The stuff was so easy to use that I was suspicious, but it seems to hold up and protect.

Our park does not allow washing RV's but I think I can work under the radar and hand wash a panel/ Slide/ hatch at a time followed by the ICE wax.

Oh and the stuff is inexpensive, too - about half or less than 303.

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:43 PM   #5

I think I would consider covering the front cap with some kind of cover while you are in this location. It could save you a lot of pain later. Might do a little research and find something that would be suitable.
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:15 AM   #6
Site Team

I am not saying that ALL the GEL-Caps will oxidize over time (but mine did), I guess I would be more concerned that the oxidizing would take place after the 2 year warranty ends, placing the entire cost of repairs out of the owners wallet.

My thoughts are, as I did, wax it 2x a year in the spring/fall and leave it to the elements. If the cap is going to oxidize, so be it. I would not cover it, possibly prolonging the inevitable past the end of the 2 year warranty $$$$.

Just my thoughts,
Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote