Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-24-2019, 02:16 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
I have been able to avoid any sort of disastrous situation by simply waving a hand gun out the window at the offending driver. It's amazing how effective it works!
I've thought of doing the same but have been afraid that the SOB might start shooting at us
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 02:26 PM   #22

A little off the orig. topic but drove semi's for over 3 million miles in my younger days. 80,000 LB rigs don't stop quickly or easily make evasive moves either.

Then I went to the Sheriff's Academy. Try responding to a bank robbery in progress at 90 plus mph, or dozens of of other similar calls and have a car either refuse to pull to the side or even more entertaining pull out in front of you

Then add while on traffic stops cars that wouldn't slow down or merge left. The year my Son graduated from the Highway Patrol Academy there were FIVE Troopers killed by cars while on traffic stops. I finally went to a passenger side approach on stops.......much safer.

Point being (finally) Drive defensively, high visibility safety vest when changing a flat tire roadside. Dash cams. are a great addition.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 04:06 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
I have a set of train horns and dash cam. Since I travel thru Atlanta most of the tine I'm thinking my next purchase should be a bulldozer.
Oh how I wish I had a set of train horns on my truck! My son does and I’m jealous!
2nOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:45 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Happens all the time.........I'll have someone pass me just to pull right in front of me to exit within 100 yards or less onto an exit..........only one word for that STUPID!

I will AMEN to this.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:54 PM   #25

Quote:
I have been able to avoid any sort of disastrous situation by simply waving a hand gun out the window at the offending driver. It's amazing how effective it works!
That will get you arrested in Pennsylvania. Plus that wouldn't help prevent you from being cut off or such. Might help end a road rage situation, but I'm sure it's illegal in more states than just Pennsylvania.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:32 PM   #26

Just a FYI. Waving a weapon out the window is a felony in most states. Not trying to be a downer here. If anyone reports it. Get ready for a felony stop. LEO will not be friendly. You may never get your weapon back.

Cell phone use while driving may put us all in the ditch. We’ve been cut off, drifted into, and my favorite is someone turning from the wrong lane across your bumper. 90% of the time it is someone on their dam phone.
OCBray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:45 PM   #27

Quote:
Are you putting us on? That's "brandishing", and leads to jail-time.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:31 PM   #28

I'm sure it was a joke.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:48 PM   #29

If he says you pointed it at him then your vacation is over!
Old 02-25-2019, 05:42 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
That will get you arrested in Pennsylvania. Plus that wouldn't help prevent you from being cut off or such. Might help end a road rage situation, but I'm sure it's illegal in more states than just Pennsylvania.

Earl
You are very correct. Every State probably. In Missouri it would be a Felony "Armed Criminal Action" and a Pros. Atty would probably go for a "Assault With A Deadly Weapon"
In other words "Go to Jail, do not pass go"
That's the best case scenario.
Worse case scenario is the person you just tried to impress is armed (very common) and a good shot. His plea would be " I felt In Danger My Life"
He just passed Go and Collected $200.00 No beans & rice every day for him.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:29 AM   #31
Site Team

SPOILER ALERT!!!

Everyone is aware or should be of the forum rules about talking about firearms. Let's move this conversation back to traffic and scary experiences quickly!!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:07 AM   #32

Probably the scariest was driving in Southern California where NO ONE drives the speed limit - it is really under or really over. Some "lady" was getting on the freeway & we had no where to go. From what wife said she never looked in her mirror or over her shoulder and then had the nerve to flip us off because we didn't move out of her way. There are places I prefer to drive at night because of less traffic...still doesn't help.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 02:40 PM   #33

I'm pushing 60' bumper to bumper towing our FW. My biggest issue other than what the OP mentioned is when I'm trying to change lanes. I will turn my signal on way in advance of changing lanes and people will literally accelerate to pass me before I change lanes or they will race from behind me to "beat me to the spot". It is no fun to miss an exit and have to go out of your way to turn around and come back. It is especially not easy on a divided highway when you need to get to the left hand turn lane.

I like the dash cam idea. I will have to look at GPS units that have the dash cam as a combo. The DW will have a fit if I put something else on the dashboard of the truck. I don't understand at all. I only have a tire monitor, rear observation monitor and a Garmin GPS.
RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:18 PM   #34

just think,truckers put up with this 5-6 days a week, 8-10 hours a day!!
Steve1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:26 PM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1152 View Post
just think,truckers put up with this 5-6 days a week, 8-10 hours a day!!
Reasons why many professional drivers prefer to drive at night when their delivery schedule allows.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:29 PM   #36

Scariest Experiences Pulling your 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
One of the most common problems that occur is when you are approaching a interstate merge and the vehicle merging appears to be hesitating about accelerating or braking. They often do neither and expect you to slow or speed up.

We are aware of these things and try to change lanes if possible well before the merge. If not, we assume the right of way and do not attempt to take rash measures like braking to allow some dummy who does not know the basics of driving to cause a accident.

A fifth wheel/ trailer driver has to be aware of whats happening and anticipate it early.

Your correct. The traffic on the interstate has the ROW. Your merging and it’s your responsibility to match the speed of traffic an merge safely. Why would you think folks have to make room for you when your the one deciding to join the party.
nighthawk87 is offline   Reply With Quote