Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-08-2014, 07:31 AM   #1

Scary moment-Have you had one????

Took my 2007 Dodge Ram in for new brakes Monday. Yesterday in to Warner Robins for new tires. Getting ready to leave for Hiawassee in the morning. As luck would have it, on the way home from Warner Robins after getting my new tires, I lost power steering and power brakes suddenly on Interstate 75 Southbound. Could hardly control the rig and was in the passing lane. Managed to get over to the right hand traffic lane shortly as there was an exit coming up. Did manage to safely exit the interstate and waited for over an hour for a wrecker. Got towed back to Vienna, Ga to my local shop and found out my water pump had seized up and thrown the serpentine belt. The Good Lord must have been looking out for me because I can only imagine what would have happened had I been on a narrow 2 lane road in the mountains tomorrow pulling our 5th wheeler! Praise the Lord!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:19 AM   #2

That sounds just like same Lord that watches over me every day. Many times I would have been in deep trouble if he was not watching out for me. Well I say, Praise the Lord, for his grace and his merciful hands being upon me. He's the best friend I've ever had!

Old 10-08-2014, 09:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch Pin View Post
That sounds just like same Lord that watches over me every day. Many times I would have been in deep trouble if he was not watching out for me. Well I say, Praise the Lord, for his grace and his merciful hands being upon me. He's the best friend I've ever had!
X2
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:30 AM   #4

Amen
2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:11 AM   #5

I just had a very similar issue to this. I was pulling our camper for a weekend outing to a goat show. For whatever reason our GPS took us kind of a weird way. As soon as I got off the freeway to make the turn I heard a funny sound. I proceeded to round the corner. I stop and get out and all of sudden it got quiet. The bearings had gone out of the water pump and kicked the belt off. Ended up having to have the truck towed and another truck brought to me to finish towing the camper to our destination. Only about a 2 1/2 hour delay.
jwstewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:10 PM   #6

I also had the same experience years ago pulling a pop-up with my durango. The car stalled as we were coming to a stoplight and I had to literally press against the back seat standing to stop the TT/TV. Almost ploughed into the car in front. After that, I bought my Prodigy. I'll never forget the helplessness of that moment and the relief after it was over.
Sold 1999 Durango
fmichaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:15 PM   #7

I have had a couple issues over the years. Many many years ago, while in college, I worked for a neighborhood pharmacy delivering prescriptions. My company van broke a rear brake line. no big deal. As I am returning to the shop, I lost the front brake line. No brakes at all, in heavy traffic, behind a line of cars coming up to a stop sign. I was glad the E brake held up.

The only time with the trailer was last year in the mountains going over some mountain pass. My 23B in the morning has very touchy brakes and lock up really easy until they are warm. That particular day lime many others backed off the sensitivity of the controller for a few miles then put it back. Well, I forgot to reset it. Yhe brakes felt good, as we were climbing almost all morning. Well what goes up must come down. As we are comedown out of the pass, I was on the brakes a fair amount (I was in first or second gear too). It was just about lunch time and all of a sudden we could smell, burning rubber. Immediately I know it was the front brakes. Cranked up the controller, and pulled over at the first spot. The front brakes were smoking. Ate lunch, while the brakes cooled. The rest of the trip was just fine.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch Pin View Post
WELL SAID!

OP, I was sick as a dog on a family vacation in North Carolina a couple years ago. We left and were driving back, it was a miserable hot day. As I was driving I felt a little wiggle and just assumed it was wind. The roads were pretty crowded (I95 in northern NC). I had just gotten off onto I295 to swing me around Richmond and traffic was suddenly sparse. My rear left tire blew out in my SUV and I went sliding out of control. Thankfully I have some training in aggressive driving and was able to maintain control and not flip or hit the Jersey wall. If that tire had gone 2 miles earlier it would have been horrible. I can only assume that I picked up a road hazard and quickly lost tire pressure. The wiggling sensation when I changed lanes should have alerted me to a problem... but I was sick and just wanted to get home.

But for the grace of God, it happened where it did and we didn't flip. I now have TPMS in all my vehicles!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:53 PM   #9

I had an alternator go out on a trip out west. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but this was in Utah, on I70, on Sunday, on Memorial Day weekend. Ever try to find a parts shop open in southern Utah on a Sunday? Ain't happening. I made it to Richfield and found a shop open, unbelievable. He had the keys to the parts stores in town. Only lost an hour and a half. I thought we were going to be stuck in Utah for a couple of days.

We were coming home from another trip and it was pouring rain. I was almost home, only doing about 45 when the back wheels of my Trailblazer let loose and slid sideways. The trailer went bananas. I thought for sure it was going to dump. Scariest 10 minutes of my life. It seemed like 10 minutes. The entire thing only lasted about 30 seconds.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:04 PM   #10

I posted this in the bonehead thread, but I think this is a better place.

2 weekends ago we went to a camp site about 40 miles away. After backing in and getting ready to pull the TT off of the hitch I noticed my emergency brake cord was lying on the ground. (No big deal of course unless the TT got loose from the TV.) I hook up the cable to the lock pin that holds my hitch pin in. Well I guess I didn't push the lock pin all the way in because it was gone and my hitch pin was just barely sticking into the slot that holds the entire hitch to my vehicle.. I can only guess that the pressure of the camper kept the pin from fully sliding out.. The next morning we found a u-haul and purchased a new hitch pin lock and a d-ring to attach my emergency brake cable to the vehicle.. No more hooking to the lock pin for me.. I was pretty scared knowing that at any moment I could have lost the entire camper at 60mph and no emergency brakes to stop it... I felt like a complete idiot for not checking that as well as I should have, I usually try and do a thorough walk around before we head out.. At least this wake up call didn't injure anyone.. I was almost to embarrassed to post this close call here on the forum, but I figured my almost major screwup might help someone in the future to always check their hitch connections.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote