Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2022, 07:04 AM   #1

Schwintek down again

For those familiar with me on here, you might remember my Schwintek breaking multiple times over the years.
Well it going in to the dealer for its 5th time now. Love my extended warranty!
Warranty is up in August, then I start replacing it on my own.
I’m pretty sure I can do the job. Seems simple enough.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 07:54 AM   #2

Is it the same issue each time? What is the specific issue causing the repetitive repair? I am aware of all the common issues with the Schwintek's just curious about what your issue(s) are.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 08:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
Is it the same issue each time? What is the specific issue causing the repetitive repair? I am aware of all the common issues with the Schwintek's just curious about what your issue(s) are.
I totally forget what the first two were.
That last two and now this time is the shoe snaps off the top bearing block.
This time I’ll tell the dealer that I think it’s because the floor and rollers are in an arch shape. So when the slide is in, bouncing down the road… the middle of the slide is slightly higher than the fridge side. So I think there is some up and down stress on the bearing block.
Just my theory. Didn’t much care, besides the inconvenience, because I get new parts all the time, so I always had a fresh system.
I’m starting to care now that extended warranty is up though.
Attached Thumbnails
48866E60-D4A3-4B0D-8066-C1EB4E425274.jpg  
Old 06-05-2022, 09:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
For those familiar with me on here, you might remember my Schwintek breaking multiple times over the years.
Well it going in to the dealer for its 5th time now. Love my extended warranty!
Warranty is up in August, then I start replacing it on my own.
I’m pretty sure I can do the job. Seems simple enough.
The extended warranty are worthless. I would cash it in, take what you can get and go with the VROOM upgrade.. Their system is 100% bullet proof, you'll never have to worry about you slides again.. Only problem, they are booked 60 days out.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 09:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
The extended warranty are worthless. I would cash it in, take what you can get and go with the VROOM upgrade.. Their system is 100% bullet proof, you'll never have to worry about you slides again.. Only problem, they are booked 60 days out.
My extended warranty has covered my residential fridge problem, two ground control jacks, and 3 schwintek racks
Warranty was $2000 CAD..I’m around $10k in repairs.
Maybe something else will break before August too.

That Vroom upgrade looks good though
Old 06-05-2022, 10:25 AM   #6

Does your slide have supporting rollers on the bottom to take some of the weight?
Old 06-05-2022, 11:57 AM   #7

Quote:
My extended warranty has covered my residential fridge problem, two ground control jacks, and 3 schwintek racks

the warranty won't cover anything structural including the roof. My roof went to hell within the first year after buying my 19 RSTS new. Of course i got the run around from the dealer service dept during the manufacture warranty period.. At 26 months the membrane came completely loose and needed replacement. The extended warranty would not cover the replacement. The Schwinteks will give you a lifetime of problems. I've babied mine and they still are a pain. Got an appt in Aug for the VROOM's
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 01:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
Does your slide have supporting rollers on the bottom to take some of the weight?
Yes. And I think the middle rollers are taking more of the weight. Thus my theory.
I’m of the first generation slide supports, that Jayco redesigned 2 or three times after, and my middle ones bent before I even drove it off the lot. The dealer welded it all back up nice, but wouldn’t weld any of the others. Now I can see a the floor bowing up in the middle or sinking at each end.
Old 06-05-2022, 04:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Yes. And I think the middle rollers are taking more of the weight. Thus my theory.
I’m of the first generation slide supports, that Jayco redesigned 2 or three times after, and my middle ones bent before I even drove it off the lot. The dealer welded it all back up nice, but wouldn’t weld any of the others. Now I can see a the floor bowing up in the middle or sinking at each end.
Have you asked your dealer about the 3 track schwintek slides system. I know earlier some had theirs updated under warranty.

Here is some good reading on it. Been a problem for a long time especially on the larger heavier slides.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f281/new...em-201301.html
Old 06-05-2022, 05:17 PM   #10

YouTube video

Old 06-06-2022, 09:27 AM   #11

Thor and Lippert? Not my idea of trouble free camping.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 12:21 PM   #12

Quote:

Klassic,
I am also around 10k in repairs. Mine runs out in Nov and already have a list for them. My outriggers bent just like yours.Than after the factory replaced there welds broke. Had to fix on my dime. Do you have that hidden outrigger, mine is up by the center jack and it was bent big time since it is longer than the ones in the wheel well. Did u ever install those teflon/plastic pads on bottom of slide? Between the outriggers and the rollers pushing up into the floor could be your issue like u said. They had to chisel out my lower side tracks. Jayco had to install them before the slide was put in. It is pretty stupid to put screws in the underside of the lower tracks full length. Last three screws stay between the floor and slide. They did the same thing to my bedroom slide. The only way the bedroom tracks can be removed is to remove the slide.
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 02:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Klassic,
I am also around 10k in repairs. Mine runs out in Nov and already have a list for them. My outriggers bent just like yours.Than after the factory replaced there welds broke. Had to fix on my dime. Do you have that hidden outrigger, mine is up by the center jack and it was bent big time since it is longer than the ones in the wheel well. Did u ever install those teflon/plastic pads on bottom of slide? Between the outriggers and the rollers pushing up into the floor could be your issue like u said. They had to chisel out my lower side tracks. Jayco had to install them before the slide was put in. It is pretty stupid to put screws in the underside of the lower tracks full length. Last three screws stay between the floor and slide. They did the same thing to my bedroom slide. The only way the bedroom tracks can be removed is to remove the slide.
I don’t have the hidden one, I looked a long time ago. It’s basically like yours, except the rail, that rides across the supports, that the rollers sit on (which I understand is wood) cantilevers off my last support to inside the hidden area with no support.
All the rollers, that are above where the original supports bent and the dealer welded new supports, have deeply imbedded a dent on the bottom of the slide, when the slide is closed. Then it’s not quite as indented along their rolling path..but they are much more indented than under the fridge area and the fireplace area.
I can see the arc in the floor from front and back where no welded supports are, and the hump is were they welded the supports.
That’s why I think the fridge end is banging around when driving. And this time like last time, I was on bad trailer banging roads. I’m usually on smooth roads.

If the floor is perfectly flat and supported properly so it can’t bend and flex, and the rollers weren’t able to gouge into the floor of the slide…perhaps also a wider roller too. Then I can’t see how this system can give a problem. It’s just pushing and pulling a box in and out smoothly. Once things start bending and sagging, without the bearing blocks being able to move up and down with the slide, then it has to break.
Old 06-07-2022, 02:53 PM   #14

That is why the slimrack has rarely an issue, it floats. The only thing floating on ours is the slide up and down bouncing. I am thinking why not buy a few more rollers and mount them bolted to the slide floor inside. That way when slide is in the roller will give some support to the slide. That gib block takes a lot of weight holding slide while it travels in and out. It basically keeps the slide from tipping until full in or out. I wonder if the roller would leave marks on the vinyl floor if I added a few inside.
You should add those thick roller pads to the bottom. The factory did mine. Two of my rollers pushed into the floor and than the roller bracket ends starting ripping that floor material.
Old 06-07-2022, 03:24 PM   #15

I’m going to have the discussion about putting on pads, and supporting the floor better.
I still don’t know how they put your pads in without taking the schwintek columns out and adjusting them up the thickness of the pads.
Now is a good time for me because they will be getting changed out and adjusted to wherever the slide is sitting.
Looks like I’ll be paying for anything other than putting in the new Schwintek columns.

My appointment isn’t until November, so I have to put the slide in and out carefully until then. With the upper shoe broken off, the gear doesn’t touch the top rail. Only the bottom is moving the fridge side.
And I need to wedge a 2x4 in the top to stop the top from tipping when it’s closed and driving
Old 06-07-2022, 04:55 PM   #16

That is what I had to do top and bottom when shaft feel out. Those pads are probably 1/8 -3/16 thick. Wider than rollers and they run from bottom outer edge in past roller. Screws down both sides on bottom with slide fully extended. I have seen posts with some using aluminum or stainless. I have seen a bunch of three track class c slides that also had pads from factory. Call Jayco maybe they have a part number. They installed mine.