Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-18-2018, 10:34 AM   #1

Schwintek slide issue

Our Jayco Pinnacle 36FBTS kitchen slide out starts to go in on the end opposite of the refrigerator while the refrigerator end does nothing. It doesn't happen every time and it sometimes happens during closing and sometimes when trying to open slide. Most recently we were trying to close the slide and after numerous tries, it somehow started to work, but it doesn't sound like it normally does and it really seems to be (for a lack of a better word) straining. It moves much slower than normal. Wondering if there are any suggestions or remedies?
Pinnacle 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:45 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

One suggestion would be to only run the slide when you are plugged into the tow vehicle and the vehicle is running - or - only run the slide when plugged into shore power and the converter is switched on. Either one of those should help rule out a low battery or low voltage as part of the problem.

Please let us know if doing the above changes anything...
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:55 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I've eliminated the low voltage question by always leaving my RV plugged into shore power before running the slides or using the leveling system.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:58 AM   #4

I agree with the old man (LOL!! just had to do it!), one of the problems with Schwintec slides is that they need a constant supply of good power to work right. If they don't have good, solid power, they can act just like you describe. Then the motors get out of sync and things just go downhill from there.

Either in your manual or on Youtube, there are instructions on how to re-sync the motors. Once you know you have plenty of good power to the motors, I would make syncing the motors my first order of business if I were you.

Thankfully I only have Schwintec on my small bedroom slide. I would be a bit uncomfortable with one on my larger living room slide. From what I understand, many manufacturers (not just Jayco) have been known to under-spec the Schwintec equipment for the size of the slide.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:11 AM   #5

Have you cleaned and lubed the motor and rails. Make sure the sides are clean and smooth. Take a look underneath with the slide out to see if anything looks to have been hanging up.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:56 AM   #6

Yes I have cleaned and lubed and investigated any type of blockage that could be causing the issue. I have found no issues and keep hoping for a quick and simple fix since we have a lot of plans for the remaining camping season, and the last thing we want to do is to be without our camper for most likely weeks, while its in the shop. Thanks for your input.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinnacle 1 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I've eliminated the low voltage question by always leaving my RV plugged into shore power before running the slides or using the leveling system.
Don't slap me, but just to be clear...
When plugged into shore power and running the slides, you have the breakers turned on, correct?

I had to ask 'cause the DW and I have tripped each other up from time to time by the breakers being off when the other expected them to be on.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:01 PM   #8

Lippert walked me through a couple problems 574-537-8900! Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:41 PM   #9

your slide is out of time, it happened to mine, there is a button you push under your bathroom and then you run your slides in and out to re sync them, you will have to look on the control or your swintek mauual for the correct procedure, its like bringing it in out like 10 inches back and forth so many times to correct it.
gowesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:41 PM   #10

Mine does the same thing. It's always struggled, creaks and pops but after I've opened and shut it 5 or 6 times it stops working on end opposite the fridge. when closing that end stops about halfway in and I have to push it from the outside to get it in. I do a re-sync and its works again for a few times. They looked a mine and said it was installed incorrect and needed to be removed and reinstalled. I will have that done over the winter.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:46 PM   #11

What year is your Pinnacle?
Old 08-18-2018, 09:56 PM   #12

Mine does the same thing as yours. Been in for this problem 5or 6 times.
Had the Schwintek replaced $2500.
Going in next weekend to have the fridge side motor and harness replaced.
I’m not hoping for too much.

Usually I have to push the button 6 times on the controller trick and it works for a couple times, but it always comes back.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Our Jayco Pinnacle 36FBTS kitchen slide out starts to go in on the end opposite of the refrigerator while the refrigerator end does nothing. It doesn't happen every time and it sometimes happens during closing and sometimes when trying to open slide. Most recently we were trying to close the slide and after numerous tries, it somehow started to work, but it doesn't sound like it normally does and it really seems to be (for a lack of a better word) straining. It moves much slower than normal. Wondering if there are any suggestions or remedies?
Had the same exact problem with our bedroom slide on our HT 28.5RSTS. Ended up being a loose conection where the wiring plugs into the motor which turned out to be a simple fix. Also, you will need to retime the slide which Schwintek has a video explaining this. The motor is located behind the rubber seal on the inside of the slide and is easy to get to. Hopefully that turns out to be the problem with yours
Quick Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:28 AM   #14

If a resync will fix it, here is the procedure:

I spoke with a Lippert Engineer. Here is how to fix out of sync Shwintec slides.

1. Move the slide all the way out. If one side stops as you are moving it out, release the button. Then continue to move it out. You may have to do this several times to get the slide out.

2. With slide fully extended, push button to retract.

3. Immediately upon hearing the motors whine, release button.

4. Press button to extend and hold for 5 seconds after all motor whine stops.

5. Repeat steps 2-4 for 5-6 times.

Now retract the slide fully. Same as extending, if one side stops, release button and then retract more until slide is fully in.

6. Press button to extend slide and stop as soon as motor whine is heard.

7. Retract slide and hold button 5 seconds once all motor whine stops.

8. Repeat steps 6 & 7 for 5-6 cycles.

Enjoy your new working/synced slideout. ��
Old 08-20-2018, 06:33 PM   #15

Not a bad question at this point. Yes I have good power at the pedestal because I have an indicator on my power cord. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:35 PM   #16

Thanks- I believe that may be a good place to try to resolve this issue.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:36 PM   #17

It is a 2017.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:44 PM   #18

Just curious is the slide mechanism the Schwintec or the Slim Rack
Old 08-20-2018, 06:55 PM   #19

Well I was told it was Schwintec, but noticed yesterday it has Slim rack sticker on the rails. I may have mis-stated the system type.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Well I was told it was Schwintec, but noticed yesterday it has Slim rack sticker on the rails. I may have mis-stated the system type.
Here is a manual on the Power Gear SlimRack if it helps.
https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...3010002588.pdf
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote