Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-03-2021, 12:11 PM   #1

Schwintek slide motor sync

'16 pinnacle le 38 fsla. Our big slide with the fridge has had problems with the slide motors staying synced for a couple years. I've tried several fixes to get them back together with no luck. When extending the slide the motor on the fridge side stops after about 6 in of travel. If you push the stopped side it will start moving again. When retracting the slide it's the same but the other slide motor on the opposite side stops. Same fix, push it a little and they go together. Anybody got a fix that works?
Kevin and Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 01:58 PM   #2

this was on another forum.. Worth giving it a try
https://www.qwant.com/?client=brz-br...%3AfJC1YQ50eeo

or

https://www.qwant.com/?client=brz-br...%3AK7ooxh3IE8s
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 02:06 PM   #3

Thanks...I've tried that several times but it doesn't help. I'll give it another shot.
2002 Dodge 2500
2019 Ram 3500
Kevin and Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 02:06 PM   #4

Does your slide have 3 tracks on the outside wall?
Old 11-03-2021, 02:11 PM   #5

On our 2017 Eagle the factory repair was to replace the 4 metal plates on the inside wall. The plates reinforce the H channel the motor and gears are mounted in. Ours was twisting. They also replaced the front motor wire leads from controller. The lead had been twisted badly when a wire clip was installed.
If your plates are thin metal then that could be the issue. Should be steel and about 3/16 thick
Those of us with that big kitchen slide and swinteck mechanisms have had issues. Between the new plates, the lubing the motor shaft blocks yearly and using silcone slide rubber seal conditioner, lubing the rollers under the slide and most important always holding the Extend or Retrack button 5 seconds after full extend or retract the slide seems to work fine. The 5 second thing ensures the two motors stay sync'd. When they get out of sync the slide gets moving crooked and binds. If it is crooked (racked) there are videos on how to resync the motors

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 03:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadrunnerII View Post
lubing the motor shaft blocks yearly and using silcone slide rubber seal conditioner, lubing the rollers under the slide and most important always holding the Extend or Retrack button 5 seconds after full extend or retract the slide seems to work fine. The 5 second thing ensures the two motors stay sync'd. When they get out of sync the slide gets moving crooked and binds. If it is crooked (racked) there are videos on how to resync the motors
RoadrunnerII

I have a 19 32 RSTS and I've been following the same practice, it seems to be working. I also avoid loading up the pantry and fridge until we are parked for camping to avoid adding extra weight. I baby that big slide like i did my first child. Also got an extra motor off Ebay for stand-bye.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 05:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
I have a 19 32 RSTS and I've been following the same practice, it seems to be working. I also avoid loading up the pantry and fridge until we are parked for camping to avoid adding extra weight. I baby that big slide like i did my first child. Also got an extra motor off Ebay for stand-bye.
Funny. With our issues (bent outriggers among other things), we sent a customer concern to Jayco. Their response was a joke. The CS recommended jacks under the slide when extended for a long period of time; moving the slides in & back out again, after an extended period of time.

She replied with the following regarding his response to being overloaded: "Overloaded? Are you stating that the residential fridge (installed by JAYCO) should be empty until we reach our final destination, because that is where the weight would be? Perhaps Jayco Engineers did not take into consideration the weight of the residential fridge? The television does NOT travel in the televator - in fact we do not use the televator at all. What other weight would be in the slide?". Of course, there was no response.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 04:16 AM   #8

My 2015 Eagle is back in the shop because of the failure, AGAIN, of the large kitchen Schwintek slide. It was completely rebuilt in 2019, new motors, rails, the works. Before that the slide had failed and left me stranded multiple times. These slides simply are not good for heavy, long slides. LCI says that, and points the finger at Jayco for installing them in heavy slides. Jayco points the finger at LCI for not engineering them correctly. That leaves me literally holding my breath whenever I push the button to open or close it. If there was a way to replace it altogether with another kind of slide, I would. It is what it is. I bought a warranty just to deal with it because I know it's going to fail. And sooner rather than later.
Old 11-04-2021, 01:13 PM   #9

The schwintek slide system works fine on the smaller slides. They even added a third rail on the outside of the slide to help with the weight and sometimes it didn’t even help. The Power Gear above floor slide system is a much better system for heavy slides.
Old 11-04-2021, 02:35 PM   #10

Here is some good info from the past issues.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f281/new...201301-28.html
Old 11-04-2021, 08:55 PM   #11

I posted this before. U have an older FW like I have. Ur controller has a force control adjustment, newer units do not. Look at ur control unit ( I moved mine for easy access. U will see on the label a small circle that u can push out with a small (big jewelers straight slot screwdriver). Turn screw 1/4 turn clockwise. See if that fixes ur problem. U can go more but 1/4 at a time. My slide fully opened or closed would push the slide trim and bend it. I adjusted the force screw cc less and that went away. After fully loading my Norcold for a two month trip I went to close my slide. It stopped about a ft out. Adjusted 1/4 turn more force and that fixed it.
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 02:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
I posted this before. U have an older FW like I have. Ur controller has a force control adjustment, newer units do not. Look at ur control unit ( I moved mine for easy access. U will see on the label a small circle that u can push out with a small (big jewelers straight slot screwdriver). Turn screw 1/4 turn clockwise. See if that fixes ur problem. U can go more but 1/4 at a time. My slide fully opened or closed would push the slide trim and bend it. I adjusted the force screw cc less and that went away. After fully loading my Norcold for a two month trip I went to close my slide. It stopped about a ft out. Adjusted 1/4 turn more force and that fixed it.
Is your slide a Schwintek?
Old 11-05-2021, 02:56 PM   #13

Kitchen and bedroom schwintec, dinning room under floor rack.
Old 11-05-2021, 04:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Kitchen and bedroom schwintec, dinning room under floor rack.
What brand controller has the force control adjuster?
Old 11-05-2021, 05:45 PM   #15

What r u talking about? Brand controller is Schwintec. Google the controllers they have like 4 or five over the years. The older ones like mine u can adjust the newer ones u cannot. The newer ones have an amp draw that shuts off the motor. Go to LCI or call them.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:24 PM   #16

I have the same 2016 38FLSA that you do and I used to have the same issue with the heavy slide in the kitchen the first couple of years we had the FW. I would have to push on one side or the other to get the slide fully extended. To re-sync the slide, I would retract the slide about 4 inches (at this point both sides are moving together with no lag), stop and fully extend holding the button until the motor stops or give a whirl sound like it cannot go any further. I repeat this step 3 or 4 times. On the 5th time, I fully retract the slide and note whether both corners retract at the same speed. Be sure to hold the button the entire time until the motor stops for a second and then sounds like it re-engages. To confirm the slide is now synced, I extend the slide and hold the button until fully extended (motor stops and then starts again) let go of button. These are the instructions I found in the manual and it works every time. Our slide would seem to get out of sync once or twice in a camping season the first two years we owned it. I later learned that one of the major causes is from only partially extending the slide and then retracting it. We would do this sometimes to be able to sneak something in the fridge or one of the kitchen drawers. Repeatedly doing this overtime will cause the slide motors to get out of sync. Once I broke that habit, the slide has not been out of sync since.

Good luck! I hope this helps.

RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:48 PM   #17

I know all about that. I am talking about when ur slide goes in or out level on each side but than stalls on the fridge side. That is what the adjustment is for. Newer controllers do not have the adjustment and work off of amp draw. So if all is good, no bent outriggers, floor not sagging, seals lubed, gibs lubed, rollers lubed and clean, motors good, than if u stall or have to much force fully open or closed where u can see the trim bending that is what I am talking about.?
Old 11-10-2021, 01:33 PM   #18

Schwintek slide

We have a 25 ft class c and never have a problem. We follow the in/out procedure to the letter. Hold the switch after it is in and out completely for 5 to 7 seconds to keep motors in sync. Small bedroom slide. The bigger slides are just too much for motors...
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 02:12 PM   #19

As folks mentioned previously in this thread, Schwintech and big slides create a lot of challenges for alignment, motor torque, and just general reliability. If you really plan on keeping your rig for some time, I would reach out to Vroom Slide Systems in the Tuscon area.

If you go on the Thor Forums under C-Class Motorhome discussion, someone just did this conversion on their Omni with a very large full wall slide and seemed to be the only real solution for eliminating future problems. They designed the system that should be the standard on all new RV/Trailers, but as you know, the almighty dollar will always win out. Even though I am positive the warrantee repairs and general disapproval for the Schwintech slides far outweighs the upfront cost of doing it right the first time. Beancounters vs good engineering. Somehow the business degree tools always win.

Vroom Slide Systems - RV Slide Out Replacement, Fix RV Slide Out Fix

Regards,

Eric
E_Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 02:23 PM   #20

I like that Vroom system. My entire kitchen slide schwintec system has to be replaced after my major failure. I would love to try this system. Problem is I am still under my 7 year aftermarket warranty. Anything that breaks has to be replaced with what was there.