Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-06-2019, 09:52 AM   #1

Schwintek slide question...

I've seen such horror stories about the Schwintek Slides!!!

We have a 2017 Eagle HT, and I'm wondering how to identify those crummy slides? What do you look for? I have no idea who made the 3 slides on my Eagle.

If my Eagle has them, I'm inclined to get rid of it near the end of the warranty. Way too many "stuck-out and no way to retract" comments here.

Dave O.
daveobieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:09 AM   #2
PMC

They will have a track like this on each side, top and bottom. You should always completely open and close them each time you move them. Also hold the button for a few seconds afterwards when it's stopped to keep motors in sync.
They work pretty well on smaller slides but from what I've read are problematic on the really big heavy slides.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:30 AM   #3

I posted one of those threads last week regarding the big heavy slide. I wouldn't discount the entire RV just for the Schwintek slide system. I have it on 4 out 5 slides on my Pinnacle FW. They have worked flawlessly until I had my issue with the heavy slide in the kitchen. What I learned from the responses I got on this forum is I did it to myself. The heavy slide as the residential fridge and there have been many times that we would only open this slide far enough to open the fridge door and then retracting it again. Doing this is most likely what got the motors out of sync. A 3 minute procedure which has been described here in many threads and is in the Jayco manual (I now found) and the Lippert Schwintek manuals will re-sync the motors.

Of course any moving part can have catastrophic failure. If man built it, it can break! By the time you get through your 2 year warranty period, you will have already resolved most if not all of your major issues if you have any. Why start over if you are happy the other 98% of the RV?

By then, all you have to do is sit back and relax!

RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:39 PM   #4

All of mine look like those tracks in the pics. Thanks for the ID, even though it's not what I wanted to see.

I should mention that we've had zero problems with the slides on our almost new Eagle HT...but we've only had it out for one season.

My dealer told me nothing about not stopping mid-way with the slides, and I haven't been especially careful about that...but I will in the future. My slides aren't especially heavy. No residential fridge or anything. Perhaps they didn't wish to spook a new customer, or perhaps they just don't know.

My largest (dining area) slide makes a pretty ugly sound when it reaches the end of it's travel, so I haven't stayed on the button for fear I'd break something. Perhaps that was a mistake.?. The other two don't make that sound. Does anyone think that's the sound of the motors syncing-up? Do they make a popping/growling sound when syncing-up?

Dave O.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:52 PM   #5
PMC

Are you sure that one is a Schwintek? That sounds like the dining slide on our pinnacle that has the large gear tracks underneath. Totally normal and when you hear the gear jumping sound just let off the switch. My understanding is on lighter slides the schwintek works fine, ours is on our bedroom slide and it’s never had an issue.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:23 AM   #6

I'll check the dining area slide again. I know the Kitchen has the same tracks shown in the earlier pic. That only holds the RV fridge, and stove/oven. I assumed that they all would be the same, but I'll check.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:48 AM   #7
PMC

I'd guess you have an electric through frame slide system on the Dining side. You will likely have no tracks on the side of the slide but two large racks with gear teeth underneath the slide. I don't think these have the same issues with timing but I still don't stop my half way out or in.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:50 AM   #8

I would agree that most of the time the issues are self inflicted. If you are thorough in your use of them meaning you always hold the buttons down 3-5 seconds past in or out that eliminates 90% of the issues. Also if you identify early on if a slide is not moving square you should perform a reset function that squares the unit up before it gets progressively worse or bound up.

That said there is an override to get the slides in or out if you have an issue that you should familiarize yourself with so when and if you do need to perform this function you know exactly what to do.

All my issues to date (5 yrs) have been broken wires at the motor which has been re-engineered by Lipert to help eliminate the constant breaking. This was right at the motor from road shaking. I also repaired one and keep as a spare now. I also had a few out of sync issues early in ownership before I new better.

Is it a perfect system, no. Can you repair it, yes under most cases it is a an easy fix as long as is it not structural.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMC View Post
I'd guess you have an electric through frame slide system on the Dining side. You will likely have no tracks on the side of the slide but two large racks with gear teeth underneath the slide. I don't think these have the same issues with timing but I still don't stop my half way out or in.
X2. Your dining slide should be a different system than the Schwintek slide. As you move it to its full extension either fully out or in, it will make a wratchting sound which is normal. As soon as it makes the sound, let off the switch.
2nOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:07 PM   #10

We have a 16 Eagle RSTS no issues with any of the slides, knock on wood!
brettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:27 PM   #11

My Schwinnies have been fine on my 2016.. but I'm seasonal and extend and retract only once a year!
Old 01-08-2019, 10:19 PM   #12

All of the units we have had with slides, we always go fully in or out and try to avoid any stopping in between. Our toy hauler had and our North Point have the Schwintek slide mechanisms in the slides. (Our dinette/theater sofa has the geared teeth mechanism) We had no issues except one on our toyhauler when I caused the motors to be out of sync and so far (knock on wood!!) no issues with our North Point. We have the Norcold RV fridge in our unit. Don't throw away the baby with the bath water for a non issue!!

2019 North Point 377RLBH
2017 KZ Venom Toy Hauler (STOLEN, Recovered, CRUSHED)
2010 Sabre 32BHOK (Traded in on Venom)
1978 StarCraft PopUp (Long gone)
artoo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:28 AM   #13

Thanks everyone!
I'm still trying to get enough of a break in my work schedule to get over to visit my Eagle and check the slide types. Perhaps this weekend, if we don't get too much snow. Will report back.
Thanks again,
Dave O.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:11 PM   #14

I have a 321RSTS. 2 of the 3 slides are the Schwintecks. We have had no problem with either of them. We watch the video on Schwintec slides that said to hold down the button 3 to 5 seconds after slide is completely extended or retracted. This keeps the eclectic motors scycronized.
DavidSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:41 PM   #15

We have had the same issues with ours as others have noted herein. We have resynced numerous times. We have had them jump the rails and get out of line. The last time we had an issue we disconnected the motors, waited five minutes , reconnected and it went right in. Sometimes it will go in crooked and we have to resync several times. It’s annoying but as I understand it many of the manufacturers use these same slide systems.
Cc0951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:47 PM   #16

We have a 2015 Jayco Eagle FW with 4 slides, 1 hydraulic and 3 schwintek. Of the 3 schwenteks, two are small, one is large. Only one of the small ones has failed to the point we had to call a mobile mechanic 4-5 times. The other schwenteks have only failed once each in maybe 150 setups. The hydraulic slide has never failed. What's note worthy is the really good independent shop I found will no longer work on schwenteks, stating they are just too problematic. If this becomes a trend,,,,,. My advice, learn to get really good at resyncing the motors. Be patient.
Moving Along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:30 AM   #17

Does Any of these known slide motor issues involve the motorhome line or just TT’s?

John
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:23 PM   #18

Seneca has the same operators. If you keep the button pressed as described it will be fine. Don’t try to guess at where it needs to stop. Continue pouring the coals to it a few seconds after a reasonable operator would stop and it will be fine.
Purdue 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:47 PM   #19

Good question. If you are looking at either type, and it has the schwintek slides, I would definitely research the issue using the appropriate forums. My guess is that MHs, having perhaps a sturdier frame, may result less frame torque and fewer issues. Still its obvious a single drive motor and mechanism would eliminate the syncing issue altogether. Slideouts should not be rocket science. This is doable. I fear these slides represent the cheapest mechanism with an acceptable failure rate that was ultimately designed to maximise profits. From my own experience I have to wonder why hydraulic systems are not used more often. I never read of hydraulic slide failure. First manufacturer to put forth the solution will no doubt find experienced RVers interested.
Moving Along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Along View Post
Good question. If you are looking at either type, and it has the schwintek slides, I would definitely research the issue using the appropriate forums. My guess is that MHs, having perhaps a sturdier frame, may result less frame torque and fewer issues. Still its obvious a single drive motor and mechanism would eliminate the syncing issue altogether. Slideouts should not be rocket science. This is doable. I fear these slides represent the cheapest mechanism with an acceptable failure rate that was ultimately designed to maximise profits. From my own experience I have to wonder why hydraulic systems are not used more often. I never read of hydraulic slide failure. First manufacturer to put forth the solution will no doubt find experienced RVers interested.
I had three hydraulic slides on my SOB. Never an issue for 7 years... there was a cabinet door, that if left ajar, would get in the way of closing the slide. It was partially open one time, and the slide crushed it to pieces and kept on moving. Those were the days...
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote