Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-23-2015, 01:43 AM   #21

We have 2 Schwentek slides on our unit that have worked flawlessly. My friend has the Pinnacle with the large kitchen/entertainment slide which has given him some trouble. Mostly not retracting without binding up occasionally. The tech supervisor came out to his home one day as he was getting ready to leave on a trip and the slide hung up. I went over to watch the tech fix the slide. He went right over to the wiring harness inside the unit on the floor in the corner of the slide. He pushed on the harness and moved it so it would not be pulled as the slide operated. He then pushed the retract button in and moved the slide in about 6 inches. Then he extended it until it was open fully and held the button a few seconds after the slide quit moving. He says this will recalibrate the motors. He could recreate the problem to prove his method. He said almost all of the problems are with the wiring harness connections. If the slide is just a little out of whack it will quit as the pressure sensors in the slide controller are very sensitive. This is designed so the slide protects itself from damage to the slide or if you leave something in the way of the slide it will not crush it. If you bind up the slide and can't get it out of the bind by pushing on the slide you can disconnect one of the motors at the control panel and jog the slide until it is straight and then plug in both motors. He says open and close the slides without stopping after the RV is level and be sure to hold the buttons a few seconds after the slide stops. If you notice the slide is out of sequence such as both sides of the slide are not fully extended you can bring the slide in 6 inches and extend it until it opens and the motors should synchronize.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:06 PM   #22

Angry Followup on Schwintek slide 36KPTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanerickson View Post
Having the kitchen/entertainment slide worked on for the fifth time on our 2013 36KPTS bought new 06-101-2014 . Had an interesting conversation with Larry, service tech with Jayco. He asked how I set up our unit. I said I would disconnect from the truck, pull out from under the unit, hit the auto button to level up the unit and then connected shore power. After the unit leveled itself we would go in and extend all the slide outs. He instructed me that from this point going forward after pulling out from the unit with the truck, the next thing to do is to extend all of the slide outs. When the slides are installed at the factory only the front stabilizers are on the ground and the unit sets on the tires. Apparently a jobber in California hit upon this solution and according to Larry solves the problem with the big slide binding up. He said that the tolerances are so close on the Schwintek that when the unit levels itself the body flexes and binds the tracks on the slide mechanism. I know this is counter to everything we have ever heard about when and how to extend slides but after this next fix I am going to give it a shot.
As a followup on my previous post following the last repair attempt. When I took it back to the dealer for the sixth repair in two years the service manager and I discovered that the slide was extending to the point that it would fall off of the rollers at the exterior wall. When we tried to retract the slide it would bind up and not retract. Their fix was to reverse the position of the rollers which put them further outboard and would not allow the slide room to fall behind the rollers. They then replace the entire Schwintek system for the sixth time and I was on my way. The slide operated flawlessly, for two weeks at which time it failed for the seventh time. By this time we had lost all confidence in that system in a large slide and made the decision to ditch the unit and trade it. At this time Lippert Components has been contacted and is scheduling service techs to come to the dealer's shop to repair the unit. I wish the best of luck to the next owner of this unit as we had only a bad experience. We loved the layout of the unit but became completely dismayed with the entertainment/kitchen slide and felt we could no longer have confidence that it could be fixed.

deanerickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:05 AM   #23

I have owned Jayco Fifth Wheels (5) since 1998. With that being said the last two were very troublesome. The 2010 321TSMS I had nothing but problems with the Schwintek slide. I traded that in on a 2013 351MKTS. I did everything according to the book leveling, holding the slide button the required time ect. I had one motor go bad, the wiring harness go bad and the latest was the entire rack assembly had to be replaced. After paying out over $2200 over the last few years in repairs I traded it in on a Non Jayco brand that doesn't have the Schwintek slide system.
bad99ram is offline   Reply With Quote