Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2016, 05:36 PM   #1

Schwintek Slides?

With all the problems we have with Schwintek slides why does Jayco continue to use them? I just can't figure it out. I will never buy another camper that has a Schwintek slide on it. Just wondering.

Dave
Ultratravler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:46 PM   #2

A lot of manufacturers use them. Honestly, I have not had problems with mine.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
A lot of manufacturers use them.
X2

This past winter I counted at least 12 different brands, including Grand Design and Winnebago, with Schwintek slides.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:38 PM   #4

I am sure there are a few that have few problems. My dealer said that the Schwintek slides are the biggest problems they see. It seems if you get a good one you are fine, but if you have a problem slide it stays a problem. We have two of them on our new Designer and have problems with both of them. Thank goodness for the two year warranty, but how about after we are out of warranty?

Dave
Ultratravler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultratravler View Post
I am sure there are a few that have few problems. My dealer said that the Schwintek slides are the biggest problems they see. It seems if you get a good one you are fine, but if you have a problem slide it stays a problem. We have two of them on our new Designer and have problems with both of them. Thank goodness for the two year warranty, but how about after we are out of warranty?

Dave
There has to be more than a few without problems or the many companies using them would stop. There are basically 3 parts and all are replaceable if bad. The right rack, the left rack and the controller, so how can it be a long term problem?

What problems are you having?
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:08 PM   #6

At last year's Harrisburg RV Show, they were one of the big "improvements" that a number of mfgrs were bragging that they now used... Knock on wood - No problems so far with my 3 Schwintek's... I make sure that I hold the button for an extra couple of seconds when extending or retracting, and I NEVER stop mid-extend or mid-retract.... From my readings, these steps seem to be key.

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:27 PM   #7

Of our 3 slides one has is Schwintec. It's the bed slide and after just over 2 years we've had no probs. I have the perception that the issues are with larger, heavier slides (JMHO). On the surface, they look like a clever mechanism but as reported, there seem to be more problems vs the older style (the name escapes me).

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:41 AM   #8

My six month old 36fbts is in the shop now and has been for over three weeks . This is the third time it has been in with slide issues . Now as it sets in the shop Jayco and LCI are arguing who's fault it is . They determined yesterday that it is out of measurement and it needs adjusted . Then was told maybe will get back this week but I am not holding my breath that it is repaired .
kfpd404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:01 AM   #9

I had a 2010 that had major slide problems and a 2013 that was just horrible with slide problems. Motors, rack and wiring harnesses. Never again.
bad99ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Instructor View Post
I make sure that I hold the button for an extra couple of seconds when extending or retracting, and I NEVER stop mid-extend or mid-retract.... From my readings, these steps seem to be key.
My dealer said 90% of their Schwintek problems are because of user's not following exactly what you stated. My Schwintek slide starting binding when coming in and I later found out my wife partially opened to get something out. Once I got it recalibrated it has worked great every since (fingers crossed just like everyone else).
estesbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:12 AM   #11
Site Team

My 2011 has never had any problems other than minor with the big slides and none ever with the Schwintek bedroom slide.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by estesbubba View Post
My dealer said 90% of their Schwintek problems are because of user's not following exactly what you stated. My Schwintek slide starting binding when coming in and I later found out my wife partially opened to get something out. Once I got it recalibrated it has worked great every since (fingers crossed just like everyone else).
But what if the that direction is ridiculous? I don't have slides, but I read here often enough of people making that last minute realization that the tree is a little too close; hopefully before the crunching sound is heard. That situation will always require a stop short, retract, move the rig, and redeploy. Do these darn things break every time you do that? Seems to me that partial deployments are common enough that a slide should be able to handle it without self destruction!
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:14 PM   #13

I've never had a problem with my slides. I have three and two of them are 12 footers. I've stopped them several times mid way out then brought them in. I too have heard to hold the button until it clicks twice...in and out. But one thing I have noticed is, they are some heavy cumbersome slides, I tell ya what.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
I read here often enough of people making that last minute realization that the tree is a little too close
Or the power pedestal.

So far so good with the single Schwintek in our WhiteHawk 27DSRL. Would rather deal with an electromechanical issue than leaky hydraulic pump and pistons that started to afflict the fifth wheel we previously owned. Did I mention those slides were a Lippert product...........
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:57 PM   #15

How do you tell what brand slider you have? We have a 2015 27DSRL and it is normal for us to partially open the slide to gain access to the rear of the coach without having to go outside each time. So far we have not had any problems (knock on wood!). I believe the slide is mechanically driven via an electric motor with gear reduction so I don't understand why partially opening would be a problem. Someone please educate me.
Russ661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:23 PM   #16

I know with my slide, the entire thing seems to change shape as it is sliding in or out, the floors flex, the entire 'box' doesn't just go directly out, it rises and falls as it's being extended. It doesn't seem to be 'happy' until it is all the way out. The whole thing concerns me honestly, but no issues really yet. I've been told to never stand on the slide unless it it fully extended, which makes sense.. so if you aren't supposed to put weight on it unless it's fully open, I can see how letting it hang partially open puts weight and stresses things where it really isn't designed to be, and it shouldn't be in that half open condition for very long. That's all I can think of anyway.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:23 PM   #17

If your slide motors are in the wall(the slide has visible aluminum rails on each side) it's a SCHWINTEK.

I personally think this is partially why SCHWINTEK gets so much press. They are the only 'brand name" readily identifiable. Most people don't know what brand is through or under the frame driving their slides.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:25 PM   #18

I have seen problems with every type of slide mechanism. But overall they all work most of the time. I am liking the Schwintek slides on our new rig.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad99ram View Post
I had a 2010 that had major slide problems and a 2013 that was just horrible with slide problems. Motors, rack and wiring harnesses. Never again.
Were they Schwintek?

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 05:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
Were they Schwintek?

Yes they were
bad99ram is offline   Reply With Quote