Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-26-2019, 03:40 PM   #1

sealing roof

my 2017 eagle 29.5BHDS is two years old and think i should reseal the roof.... ive never done it before on a camper... Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated... materials brands tips etc... thank you
VaCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:32 PM   #2

Forget the Dicor sealant like they used at the factory, and use Eternabond Tape. Far better. Do a few searches on it, and get yourself a good education on it. Don't forget youtube.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:38 PM   #3

Thank you. That was my plan. I’ve read a lot of different opinions on sealing the entire roof. It’s only two years old. It’s in good shape few places where the lap sealant bubbled up. Do you have thoughts on sealing the entire roof I’m guessing it’s almost like a rubber compound
Old 03-27-2019, 08:44 AM   #4

Your roof is a fabric, and you can expect to easily get a decade or more out of it. It will do a good job of keeping water out.

Water is only going to get in at the edges of the fabric, such as openings for skylights and hardware, and along it's edges. Eternabond tape will provide an excellent barrier around the openings, and at the forward and rear edges of the roof. Some people use it on the side edges of the roof material, but most prefer to use sealant there. OSI Quad Sealant is very popular for this.

The roof fabric can be damaged by overhanging branches, and any tears in it have to be repaired immediately. Eternabond tape again.

I wouldn't seal the entire roof. There are sealant/systems available for that, and are typically used when the roof fabric has reached the end of it's useful life. I'm a belt and suspenders type when it comes to maintenance, but I'm comfortable with simply maintaining the existing fabric. Inspect it at least twice a year, and anytime it gets scraped by overhanging branches.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:53 AM   #5

That was what I was wondering. Thank you. I’m on it before each trip and upon return(almost every weekend). As of now no water damage or leaks. I do have some bubbled caulk. Will be replacing this weekend. Should I remove the old and apply the tape?
Old 03-27-2019, 09:26 AM   #6

You can put the E-tape over the existing Dicor. That's what a lot of owners do.

I prefer to remove the Dicor to create a flatter surface for the tape. Getting the old stuff off is easy. Just scrape it with a plastic putty knife (to avoid cutting the fabric). I removed all the Dicor on my new 26BH, and I removed all the putty on my friend's thirty year old motorhome. Surprisingly, the 30 year old stuff wasn't much more difficult to remove than the new stuff on my 26BH.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:32 AM   #7

That’s what I was thinking. Good deal thank you. Familiar with wheels and tires by any chance? I’ve several threads on her but don’t feel 100% comfortable yet. I have 225/75/r15 want to go to 16”
Old 03-27-2019, 10:38 AM   #8

Nope
Old 03-27-2019, 12:46 PM   #9

hi.I have used self leveling dicor..I find it very good..i comes in a regular caulking tube..
hainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 07:47 PM   #10

Fixing roof

So got everything cleaned up upon inspecting the roof I found several small cuts in the roof smaller than 1/4” how should I go about repairing them. Should I use “roof tape” or just a touch of lap sealant. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:09 AM   #11

Sounds like the Etape would be good for those small areas. I touch up any areas that need caulk every year, and many people put Etape over the caulk for a second line of defense from water. The transition seams at the front, and back are the main ones to secure.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:39 AM   #12

If the small cuts you mentioned are in an area where you're already replacing the Dicor with Eternabond, then there's nothing you have to do other than put the Eternabond on top of them.

Eternabond is also an excellent repair solution for cuts and damage that occur elsewhere on your roof. I had to make a 3/4" cut in my roof because there was something (actually, a big chunk of sawdust) under it that I wanted to remove. To repair the slice i'd made, I cut a 4" circle out of the Eternabond tape and put it over the cut. Cleaned with acetone first, of course. That repair will last the life of the roof fabric.

Eternabond is the first line of defense for your roof. Doesn't need Dicor under it.

So, why don't Jayco and others use Eternabond at the factory? It would cost more. The product itself costs more, and takes longer to apply. Fortunately, the Dicor's easy to remove and applying the Eternabond yourself isn't difficult.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:22 PM   #13

Roof repair

Here’s another question took go along with this Q&E, what about the flex seal stuff you see, calk and tape; it says it can be used on roof to fix areas? The chemicals in the flex seal are compatible with the vinyl roof. Thoughts? Experiences using it? Thanks.
JKnox8688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCamper View Post
my 2017 eagle 29.5BHDS is two years old and think i should reseal the roof.... ive never done it before on a camper... Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated... materials brands tips etc... thank you
Its not difficult. Decide the right tools and equipment, and proper sealer, and get started...

JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
If the small cuts you mentioned are in an area where you're already replacing the Dicor with Eternabond, then there's nothing you have to do other than put the Eternabond on top of them.

Eternabond is also an excellent repair solution for cuts and damage that occur elsewhere on your roof. I had to make a 3/4" cut in my roof because there was something (actually, a big chunk of sawdust) under it that I wanted to remove. To repair the slice i'd made, I cut a 4" circle out of the Eternabond tape and put it over the cut. Cleaned with acetone first, of course. That repair will last the life of the roof fabric.

Eternabond is the first line of defense for your roof. Doesn't need Dicor under it.

So, why don't Jayco and others use Eternabond at the factory? It would cost more. The product itself costs more, and takes longer to apply. Fortunately, the Dicor's easy to remove and applying the Eternabond yourself isn't difficult.
Instead of acetone you may want to try white gas (camp fuel). It really cleans well and is not as harsh as acetone. This was suggested to me by my rv tech. and it works great.
rhersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 02:22 PM   #16

I have used Aerospace 303 twice a year for the four years I have owned my Whitehawk and it looks new. It is a 2 hour job but worth the money and effort. You can get a gallon of 303 on Amazon for around $50 and it will do the roof and tires several times. I have used it on kayaks and anything plastic/rubber with good results.
GScott is offline   Reply With Quote