Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-11-2016, 02:51 PM   #1

Sealing the bottom

Well now that after three months and it is back from dealer spent yesterday sealing for critters. I kind of think that is a lost cause. You can probably do 90 percent but has anyone looked at the power real. U can use a light an mirror and see into the back cap. I taped and foamed as much as possible but you will never get it all. I have predator pee fox urine and pellets so that will be used underneath around jacks and tires.
My last four year old TT had corner rot on the slide floor from water getting under the lower trim rail. So I started looking at the wheel wells and under the slide. Both main slide lower bottoms are wood that is wrapped in metal and stapled. The metal piece to protect from you tires from slinging rocks is stapled thru into the wood that is covered in the black tyvec type material. U can take your hand and push the inner material along the frame up and that is the sub floor. My metal is all ready missing about six big staples. So I am going to seal the metal wrap, all staples and the floor seam with clear, white and black silicon. Next time u drive in heavy rain look at the wheel well area looks like a water falls spraying out. U know water is going thru all the metal over lap seams and thru all the staples. Even my bedroom slide under the lower Schwintec rail at the end on the bottom had an open spot with no sealant. So u all need to look and seal around the slide bottom trims and every seam in the wheel wells. Not good having missing staples that are very big by the wheels. Flat tire in the making
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:58 PM   #2

Stick your head into the stair hole. Mine has a big square hole that an angle iron goes through. I noticed it while crawling around with the basement wall taken down. Any holes in the steel of that indent the stairs fold up into is wide open into the basement area behind your grey wall basement separation.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:16 PM   #3

klassic
My stairs have a vent into the basement but no way my head would fit thru their. Looking with a flashlight it is nothing but wires and duct work. I went to check my water leak at the back of the service center and so far so good. I can see the heater but the basement wall needs to be removed. I did find all the wires in a bundle going to the water heater were wedged under the water heater. I had to use a crowbar under the foam insulation to lift it enough to pull the wire harness out from under it. I am sure that would of wore thru in a year or two
Rock
Old 04-11-2016, 04:27 PM   #4

Haha.. The outside stairs.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:30 AM   #5

klassic
I was thinking your rig must be different than mine or u have one hell of a small head. Lol. I will have to check that out
Rock
Old 04-20-2016, 04:02 PM   #6

Bringing this back up to the top. AZ posted on the FBTS thread about a bent frame support. I talked with him and looked at pictures. Read my post on what I have sealed in the wheel wells. It looks like wheel well water has gotten thru the tyvec material and his floor is bending down from the slide weight and bending the support. He said his inside floor is bubbling and soft. He has a lot of miles driving in heavy rains. When I was looking for critter spots to seal the wheel well area caught my attention. The tyvec material looks like it is the vapor barrier over insulation with staples. The metal stone guards have huge staples holding the metal to the floor. Half of mine were already missing. I just went thru four tubes of sealant in all the seams to frame, metal stone guards and the slide metal overlap joint seams. He might of found another major issue to add to his lifting roof that he said is getting worse. I know he will make a post as soon as he gets time. Everyone needs to look under the slides mine had exposed wood where the wires come out and this is in the wheel well when closed
Rock
Old 04-20-2016, 04:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
klassic
I was thinking your rig must be different than mine or u have one hell of a small head. Lol. I will have to check that out
Rock
I have nothing to add to your last post... But this makes me lol every time I read it and ever time I go up the stairs, thinking about my tiny head getting into those vents.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:11 PM   #8

klassic
I was like what is he talking about. I was like he must have different steps in his since it is a different model or one hell of a small head. Lol