Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-20-2019, 09:57 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
Just throwing it out there. You'll get your diesel option money back on trade on.
Not really, you pay 9k more upfront so the resale opinion is mute. Plus the added expense to operate and maintain, my calculation shows it as a loss unless you tow constantly for over 200k miles, then it is a break even (Excel is a great number crunching tool)
kenc.main is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:25 AM   #42

Another fact is today’s gas engines have increased towing power. Trailer life magazine had a good article showing that today’s gas engines are equal to what a diesel was 5 to 7 years ago. They also compared the cost difference for maintenance and added cost for diesel fuel over gas. The key is make sure you do not exceed the towing capacity of your truck with what ever engine you go with.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:11 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenc.main View Post
Not really, you pay 9k more upfront so the resale opinion is mute. Plus the added expense to operate and maintain, my calculation shows it as a loss unless you tow constantly for over 200k miles, then it is a break even (Excel is a great number crunching tool)
You are correct Excel is a wonderful numbers crunching tool. But it works a lot better if you're not entering fictitious what if's.
I get a kick out of the responses that say "I've crunched the numbers," or "I read an article." The fact is, you don't know squat if you ain't owned both a gasser and a diesel.
Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:29 PM   #44

I think most of the gas engines in more recent HD trucks have excellent longevity. One thing eluded to at the beginning was fueling with a trailer.... I recently installed a 60 gallon auxiliary tank for my 6.7 Ram 3500 and we are loving it. It is so convenient to drive all day and not worry about finding a gas station, we just pull in rest stops where it is easy to get in and out of. I know to get auxiliary fuel tanks rated for gasoline usually cost quite a bit more.
Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:59 PM   #45

13k is going to take you very close to out of the gasser options. 6.4 with the 4:10 is good for 14k tow rating - that's awfully close. You're at that level where I say go diesel.

I just had the same issue. Luckily, mine is only 8500 dry (same fifth wheel) but no boat, so the 6.4 diesel worked out for me. Same thing, though, I didn't want to spend the extra for the diesel or buy an older diesel...
specialK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:31 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
I think most of the gas engines in more recent HD trucks have excellent longevity. One thing eluded to at the beginning was fueling with a trailer.... I recently installed a 60 gallon auxiliary tank for my 6.7 Ram 3500 and we are loving it. It is so convenient to drive all day and not worry about finding a gas station, we just pull in rest stops where it is easy to get in and out of. I know to get auxiliary fuel tanks rated for gasoline usually cost quite a bit more.
Who did you get your auxiliary tank thru? Or is it the usual diesel bed tank?
Old 05-21-2019, 09:07 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCBray View Post
Who did you get your auxiliary tank thru? Or is it the usual diesel bed tank?
It is in the bed and plumbs into the fill neck. I actually got it through camping world when they had a good sale. Ended up installing it myself and only took an hour or so.
Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:04 AM   #48

Diesel....
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:05 AM   #49

I'm not finding any tanks for regular fuel. Seems it's more flammable than diesel, maybe?
specialK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:17 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialK View Post
I'm not finding any tanks for regular fuel. Seems it's more flammable than diesel, maybe?
I believe the available larger tanks for gasoline tanks mount where the factory tanks mount, but hold more than the factory tank(s).

'Back in the day' when I bought my auxiliary in-bed diesel fuel tank, in-bed gasoline tanks were not allowed by the DOT. It's likely that has not changed.

And, yes, gasoline is MUCH more flammable than diesel.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 02:36 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraftonGuns View Post
Gunner, I have a 2016 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab with the 6.5' box, It's a gasser with the 6.2 liter engine. It is also my daily driver. I get 12-13 mpg combined. I have got over 13 on straight level road. Now, when I tow my 5er I average around 10 mpg combined. I can't see spending close to $10K for a stinky smelly Diesel. Oil changes are really expensive not to mention the cost of Diesel fuel plus the DEF additive. Yeah, They run at a lower rpm and have a lot of torque but, I'm happy with my Gasser....

We have the same set-up! Except my Ford is a 2017 XLT (not Lariat). Great minds...

Tom
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:11 PM   #52
DDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialK View Post
13k is going to take you very close to out of the gasser options. 6.4 with the 4:10 is good for 14k tow rating - that's awfully close. You're at that level where I say go diesel.

I just had the same issue. Luckily, mine is only 8500 dry (same fifth wheel) but no boat, so the 6.4 diesel worked out for me. Same thing, though, I didn't want to spend the extra for the diesel or buy an older diesel...
Ford Superduty with 6.2 and 4:30 gear can tow up to 15k. It is all about startabilty, once going all is the same with the 3:73 except for Hill climb. May drop a gear lower that the 4:30.
DDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:31 PM   #53

I pull with a 2017 6.2 gas F350 (4:30 gearing). I’ve got a 30.5MBOK 5th Wheel. Pulls just fine, I’ve been through The Rockies and often through the mountains in North Georgia and Tennessee. No trouble, no regrets, it is plenty powerful.

If I was to wish for a diesel, it would be for the range not the power. I can only go about 200 miles between gas stops while towing. But with four kids, pee stops usually come before that anyway.
Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:35 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper906 View Post
That's a good point that has worked out well for me. Resale is great on diesel trucks.

We picked our truck after we bought the 5'er. 7 months a go, all I knew about trucks was from Jeff Foxworthy jokes. I picked our truck based on the math. Dodge dealer never paid attention to me the two times I went.

I'm told that the truck will likely outlive us and at least one knowledgeable truck owner said that I might get even more than I paid. If true then just dumb luck on my part.

Joan was furious when she saw the price tag. Then she drove it and said "Now I get it..."

-Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:00 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
We picked our truck after we bought the 5'er. 7 months a go, all I knew about trucks was from Jeff Foxworthy jokes. I picked our truck based on the math. Dodge dealer never paid attention to me the two times I went.

I'm told that the truck will likely outlive us and at least one knowledgeable truck owner said that I might get even more than I paid. If true then just dumb luck on my part.

Joan was furious when she saw the price tag. Then she drove it and said "Now I get it..."

-Angus

Now that's what I'm talking about, I'm looking to get a new 1 ton but don't let my wife know, lol.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:44 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Now that's what I'm talking about, I'm looking to get a new 1 ton but don't let my wife know, lol.

Hah! I just related this to Joan and she said "Have her call me". She loves the truck and is good at driving it with the RV. Lucky for me, when I start talking about safety features such as TPMS, Air bags or Timberens, she will cut me off mid-sentence and just say "Buy it!". We have the 4 dogs and 4 cats in the truck and she values safety.

Now about that really really safe beer cooler....
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote