Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-04-2023, 01:46 AM   #1

Exclamation Seismic 359 Propane tank securement.

Hello all. This is my first fifth wheel. Coming from two conventional pull trailers, I find the securement of my propane tanks on the fifth wheel to be in inadequate? I have metal straps that wrap the circumference of the tanks...loosely? On top of the straps being metal and scratching the tanks the hell up, there's no adjustments for these straps to make them tighter? I'm about to ditch these metal straps and use ratchet straps to an anchor point?

My pull trailer's had a much more positive tank securement with a top tank clamp screwed downed to the platform base.

Am I the only one with this issue? Can anyone tell me their propane tank setup or remedy?

Best regards
Janky Seismic 359
- 2002 Fleetwood Jamboree 23e, Class C (Sold)
JDsRVcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 08:35 AM   #2

Every 5th wheel I have owned has the steel straps with the flip clasp. Yep, they all were loose fitting and scratch the tanks, but that doesn't bother me. By changing the straps out you loose the ability to lock them which would only slow a determined theif anyhow. If yours are too loose for your liking, find some adhesive backed felt and line the inside of the straps, or split some clear hose and slide on them to take up the slack.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 10:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
Every 5th wheel I have owned has the steel straps with the flip clasp. Yep, they all were loose fitting and scratch the tanks, but that doesn't bother me. By changing the straps out you loose the ability to lock them which would only slow a determined theif anyhow. If yours are too loose for your liking, find some adhesive backed felt and line the inside of the straps, or split some clear hose and slide on them to take up the slack.
ARoamer! Thanks for responding!! Funny you mention the lock on the strap. I inquired during the walkthrough how to secured (lock) the tanks on the fifth wheel? On my pull trailer, I ran a a steel cable lock through the tank handles then through the bottom mount plate. Anyhow, he gave me no idea that the strap had lock holes. My only remedy was to swap the door latch for a lock and I bought keyed locks right then and there. It wasn't till I got the traveler home and going through it that I noticed the lock holes..

My second thought of remediation is to unscrew the strap at the mount holes, cut it in half and reduce length. Then reinstall reduce the strap to size and locate rubber material I can wrap the tank circumference where the strap meets the tank to avoid an more damage.

By the way, the tanks are out and I sprayed clear coat krylon on the exposed metal to keep rust "at bay" for now..

I'm working on shoring up plumbing and electrical right now, as well, as finishing up the cabinetry. They crazy shorted me some cabinet space in the master bathroom with a false wall so they place loose plumbing behind it. hahah.. The lazy S.O.B.s ran flex water lines through there too instead of pex pipe. It flex lines WERE rubbing on wall panels in multiple places too. The space was too tight or too challenging I guess.. Anyhow, plumbing to spec. and securement and adding more cabinet space to boot!! Win!! Win!!
- 2002 Fleetwood Jamboree 23e, Class C (Sold)
JDsRVcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote