Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-23-2020, 07:45 PM   #1

Service Advice

Hi all-
We have a Jayco 5th wheel that we really enjoy. It's still under warranty, and there are some issues that we need fixed asap.
We have what appears to be a wheel/axle out of whack that is grinding up the tire rapidly, and cracks in the welds on small braces on top of the frame above shackles. The frame cracks and axle issues might be related.
I have contacted both Jayco and Dexter, and I assume that Lippert will get involved at some point. Still waiting for initial replies.
We prefer taking it to the factory instead of local dealership.

So my question- how do we get this taken care of quickly without losing a travel season? I've thought of maybe going to a truck/trailer frame shop locally and seeing if Jayco will work with them.
What's the best way to proceed to get back on the road the fastest?

Thanks.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:56 PM   #2

Call Jayco and get authorized to take your 5er into an RV repair shop that has the capabilities of correcting the frame. The shop can then send Jayco an estimate and Jayco will authorize the repairs. Fully document all the problems with photographs as Jayco will want to see the damage and issues.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
Hi all-
I have contacted both Jayco and Dexter, and I assume that Lippert will get involved at some point. Still waiting for initial replies.

So my question- how do we get this taken care of quickly without losing a travel season? I've thought of maybe going to a truck/trailer frame shop locally and seeing if Jayco will work with them.

Thanks.
They will probably want to know why you haven't contacted the dealer. In order to set up a Service Appointment your owner's manual says it should be done by the dealer. With that said contact Brighton Spring in Fairfield. They used to work on trailers.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Call Jayco and get authorized to take your 5er into an RV repair shop that has the capabilities of correcting the frame. The shop can then send Jayco an estimate and Jayco will authorize the repairs. Fully document all the problems with photographs as Jayco will want to see the damage and issues.
GOOD ADVICE ^ ^ ^ ^ not always does your mom/pop Rv dealer know anything about welding/ frame damage or all the things you describe. You have to be fully informed as to what the defect is - not always will you get a straight answer from a single dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
They will probably want to know why you haven't contacted the dealer. In order to set up a Service Appointment your owner's manual says it should be done by the dealer. With that said contact Brighton Spring in Fairfield. They used to work on trailers.
I don't know how he knows all the "most up to date authorized Jayco repair places - across the USA" but you also have a right to have it inspected and estimated at any place you choose.

But you surely need to contact Jayco and the dealer via paper written mail with all the certified mail receipts to back up your claim. More than a medical procedure with a "Second Opinion" you need one with your RV with this issue.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
I don't know how he knows all the "most up to date authorized Jayco repair places - across the USA" but you also have a right to have it inspected and estimated at any place you choose.
He lives in Cincinnati and that is one of the BEST spring shops in the area. He asked for a place to get it fixed quickly without going to the dealer. NOBODY SAID IT WAS AN AUTHORIZED JAYCO SERVICE CENTER... They did all the spring work on the fleet that I managed when I lived there........

GET A LIFE.....
Old 07-23-2020, 08:56 PM   #6

Good advice

I appreciate all the good advice so far. I could see going to a place like Brighton, working through Jayco, of course.

Jayco has a ticket # on this so far, but that's it.

I think it will take me contacting some of these places and kind of facilitating getting it done. The other option is sitting on a list for months, then maybe getting turned down and having to find a place myself anyway.

All along, my wife and I knew that the service end of this was going to be a challenge, and that people miss entire seasons waiting for service. We are determined to not let that happen to us- we don't know how many seasons we have left

If they made us go to the local dealer we would, but are willing to drive 5 hours to the factory to get it done where all the manufacturers are right there to help.

So again, thanks for ALL the advice.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Thanks, I sent them some photos, I'll take some more and have them ready.
Old 07-24-2020, 10:28 AM   #8

We are in TX now getting our sidewall crack repaired in part because Jayco was booked 10 months out. I was not anxious to have the factory do it since they have had several come back for repeats. They referred us to Vogt RV in Ft. Worth. They have done 45+ of these and claim no repeats. Point being, there is qualified talent out there that is not the factory (but they have to approve it obviously).
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:41 PM   #9

if it is bad enough I would make it a point that you need to get it someplace close to get it fixed.. not driving half way across the country.. it sounds like there is enough wrong with it that you shouldn't be towing it down the road at 60+MPH but that's just me....
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 02:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
if it is bad enough I would make it a point that you need to get it someplace close to get it fixed.. not driving half way across the country.. it sounds like there is enough wrong with it that you shouldn't be towing it down the road at 60+MPH but that's just me....
I agree with you, if we made the trip, it would be all secondary roads, more like 45mph. But if we can find a truck/frame repair place that can properly deal with RV's here in town, that would be good too. Our closest Dexter dealer can't do it due to height of trailer.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:55 PM   #11

Update

Update.
Today Dexter responded that they will send me a new axle and springs to the repair place of my choice, as a good will offering even though they consider this a non-covered issue.
I appreciate that, and I have notified Jayco of that and asked for them to advise on next steps.

Tonight, I'll contact Lippert about the frame welds, and try to get them together with Jayco. They can fix it, or between Lippert and Jayco, they can work on a plan to have it fixed, whether they do it themselves, or it's sent to a trailer shop.

Anyway- progress. Keeping positive. I'm not going to let this sit on a waiting list while our "golden years" are ticking away. lol
Old 07-24-2020, 08:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Update.
Today Dexter responded that they will send me a new axle and springs to the repair place of my choice, as a good will offering even though they consider this a non-covered issue.
I appreciate that, and I have notified Jayco of that and asked for them to advise on next steps.

Tonight, I'll contact Lippert about the frame welds, and try to get them together with Jayco. They can fix it, or between Lippert and Jayco, they can work on a plan to have it fixed, whether they do it themselves, or it's sent to a trailer shop.

Anyway- progress. Keeping positive. I'm not going to let this sit on a waiting list while our "golden years" are ticking away. lol
Good news...
Old 08-05-2020, 11:17 PM   #13

Well the latest is that Lippert will fix our frame issue Aug 19. We have to take it to Goshen IN, but it's worth it to me to get it done correctly. I've asked Dexter to send the free axle to Lippert.
As to Jayco's involvement, they are reluctant to commit to anything unless we take it to our local dealer first. They're booking appointments sometime in October, and that's just to look at it.

So Lippert saying they can fix it in one day is encouraging.

Lippert and Dexter have both been very helpful.

I'm thinking with Dexter supplying the axle, Lippert fixing their welds, and Jayco (hopefully) taking care of the costs to install/align the axle, we'll be good.

Still keeping positive and friendly with all, and so far so good.

Our goal is to not let service issues make us miss out on traveling too much. We've lost a month on this, but not a season like some of the horror stories.

As far as Brighton, our neighbor swears by them too, and has had springs added to his trucks there twice. Unfortunately, they didn't want to work on our RV, as they have had too may of them sitting in their shop waiting for parts. Brighton referred me to another truck place, but in the meantime, Lippert came through.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Hi all-
We have a Jayco 5th wheel that we really enjoy. It's still under warranty, and there are some issues that we need fixed asap.
We have what appears to be a wheel/axle out of whack that is grinding up the tire rapidly, and cracks in the welds on small braces on top of the frame above shackles. The frame cracks and axle issues might be related.

Thanks.
I would think I would have to be fixed by an authorized dealer or your warranty would be void. I called Jayco because my Camping World was useless and they told me I would have to go to a dealer they authorized about 50 miles away. I stayed at mine after they replaced everyone in service and they still had it a total of 7 months
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 06:31 PM   #15

We also swear by Dsuban...they found a problem that the dealership totally missed.

https://www.dsuban.com/

Good luck.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 06:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I would think I would have to be fixed by an authorized dealer or your warranty would be void. I called Jayco because my Camping World was useless and they told me I would have to go to a dealer they authorized about 50 miles away. I stayed at mine after they replaced everyone in service and they still had it a total of 7 months
Yes, it's kind of murky. There was no way I was going to make an October appointment at the local dealer just to look at it, then who knows how many months until they actually fix it. So I started calling and emailing around. Jayco said they work with independents, but I suppose they would expect me to pay, then try to get reimbursed. So the Lippert factory with the free Dexter axle hopefully will be ok with Jayco, and they might have to chip in on the labor. We'll see how it all works out in 2 weeks. Lippert says they do all repairs in 1 day.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine71-76 View Post
We also swear by Dsuban...they found a problem that the dealership totally missed.

Good luck.
I will definitely call them next time, when out of warranty. Never heard of them. They even have a fifth wheel pictured on their site! Thank you!
Old 08-12-2020, 07:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine71-76 View Post

Good luck.
Quote:
I will definitely call them next time, when out of warranty. Never heard of them. They even have a fifth wheel pictured on their site! Thank you!
They are another great shop. Never went there for springs, but they did our alignment work including my MH's.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:21 PM   #19

Good luck
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:52 AM   #20

Good news update!
We dropped our Jayco at Lippert in Goshen IN. on Wed. morning at 7. They had it fixed by 12 noon. All covered under warranty.
In 5 hours they: Dropped the axles, removed underbelly, found a detached crossmember, welded it plus added several more braces between the main frame I-beams, rewelded the frame stiffeners above the axles, reinstalled one old axle and the new axle provided by Dexter. Checked all measurements for straightness. Just for fun they installed all new wet bolts on the springs.
Did I tell you that it took only 2 weeks to get an appointment, and 5 hours to fix? Not 5 days, 5 weeks, or 5 months, like some of the horror stories we've read about.

We are happy customers, ready to take off on a long voyage. Glad we kept calling and emailing until we found someone to take it in under warranty. Losing an entire travel season was not an option. I realize that people who are still working can't drop everything and drive to the manufacturer like we did, so many are at the mercy of the local RV dealers schedule.
Thanks to Lippert/LCI for stepping up and providing great service.
Thanks to you guys for advice.