Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-07-2019, 02:16 PM   #1

Service Tire Pressure System

Hello Jayco family. This question is for all Dodge Ram tow vehicle owners (or anyone who can offer an answer). I had a flat on driver side front. The valve stem had a slit in it. Repairman said when replacing stem also would need to replace sensor inside tire that would need to be programmed at dealership. Went to Advanced Auto and got stem/sensor and had it replaced. My truck is showing Service Tire Pressure System on dash. Went by local Dodge dealer shop and was told it should register automatically or I may have gotten a bad sensor. Called Advanced Auto and they said all sensors have to be programmed. Has anyone else had this issue?
Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:35 AM   #2

Grunt; A vehicle relearn has always been required during sensor replacement and various other sensor or tire service work. But now, some ‘universal’ aftermarket sensors also require sensor programming or cloning prior to installation and relearn. This is a new, added step beyond the vehicle relearn, and it requires a manufacturer-specific programming tool and specialized software for the sensor programming or cloning process. The tool and software are additional costs for the technician, above and beyond the tools needed for OE-style vehicle relearn procedures.
Aftermarket “universal” sensors that arrive blank have to be programmed for the vehicle application before you can use them. Technicians need to follow specific sensor programming instructions, some of which are complex enough to require their own training module. The only one that I am aware of at the moment is, the multi-application VDO REDI-Sensor arrives preprogrammed and follows OE vehicle relearn procedures, saving you time and money.
2022 RAM 3500 6.7L
Ruger, Rhodesian Ridgebacks
ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
Skidawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidawg View Post
Grunt; A vehicle relearn has always been required during sensor replacement and various other sensor or tire service work. But now, some ‘universal’ aftermarket sensors also require sensor programming or cloning prior to installation and relearn. This is a new, added step beyond the vehicle relearn, and it requires a manufacturer-specific programming tool and specialized software for the sensor programming or cloning process. The tool and software are additional costs for the technician, above and beyond the tools needed for OE-style vehicle relearn procedures.
Aftermarket “universal” sensors that arrive blank have to be programmed for the vehicle application before you can use them. Technicians need to follow specific sensor programming instructions, some of which are complex enough to require their own training module. The only one that I am aware of at the moment is, the multi-application VDO REDI-Sensor arrives preprogrammed and follows OE vehicle relearn procedures, saving you time and money.
Does anyone know at what point the RAM TPMS system will notify you of a low pressure situation? 10 lbs, 20 lbs, 30 lbs below recommended psi? I asked my RAM dealer/servicer and they had no clue!
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:12 PM   #4
PMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Does anyone know at what point the RAM TPMS system will notify you of a low pressure situation? 10 lbs, 20 lbs, 30 lbs below recommended psi? I asked my RAM dealer/servicer and they had no clue!
My understanding is the 3500 DRW Ram uses a TPIS vs TPMS meaning you can view pressure but it gives no warning for low pressure.
Some like it, some not so much.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMC View Post
My understanding is the 3500 DRW Ram uses a TPIS vs TPMS meaning you can view pressure but it gives no warning for low pressure.
Some like it, some not so much.
I can't find anything that refers to TPIS systems.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 01-08-2019, 12:22 PM   #6
PMC

Quote:
I can't find anything that refers to TPIS systems.
All the forums refer to it as a Tire Pressure Information System and that it gives no warnings.
I've never had a flat but I've also never received a notice I was low.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMC View Post
All the forums refer to it as a Tire Pressure Information System and that it gives no warnings.
I've never had a flat but I've also never received a notice I was low.
I found this: RAM TPMS readings are provided by pressure sensing transmitters ,TPMS, mounted inside each tire and sent to a central computer (ECU) for display on the dashboard. A warning indicator light on the instrument panel and a RAM trouble warning notify the driver if a 25% drop in pressure occurs.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 01-08-2019, 12:50 PM   #8

Quote:
I found this: RAM TPMS readings are provided by pressure sensing transmitters ,TPMS, mounted inside each tire and sent to a central computer (ECU) for display on the dashboard. A warning indicator light on the instrument panel and a RAM trouble warning notify the driver if a 25% drop in pressure occurs.
After looking at my manual it states that the 3500 series does in fact have the TPIS system and no warning indicators unless there is a system malfunction. No warnings for a low pressure situation..........that sucks!!
Formerly from Sequim, WA