Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-15-2017, 09:04 AM   #1

Sewer Drain Pipe Pitch

I have Jayco 2017 fifth wheel, model number 355MBQS. This rv has 2 grey water tanks and 1 black water tank. The drain valves are wire controlled. When I first drained the tanks all seemed well. But then I moved to another campground. When I removed the plug at the end of the sewer pipe, I got a bath of about one to two quarts of water. The dealer was informed and suggested they adjust the valves. This did not correct the problem. After many conversations and many put offs to service the NEW unit, they inspected the ABS piping and discovered a bow in the pipe. I asked if they replaced that section of pipe and they told me they were able to put pressure on the pipe and remove the bow. (Seems like a bubble gum fix to me). This attempt did not fix the problem. Has any one experienced a similar problem? If so, what was the solution?
44raymondj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:48 AM   #2
BCK

It may be the gate valves leaking a little. There was a thread on here a while ago about it and seemed several people had similar issues. Someone mentioned buying an aftermarket gate valve and putting it on where the cap goes for added insurance.

Occasionally I have a little but never more than about a cup of water behind the cap. I have the habit from watching my dad when I was a kid of holding the sewer hose under the cap and opening it very carefully then tipping the bottom out slightly first so any drips go into the hose rather than making a mess.

The only time I had any amount of water was when one of my kids pulled the grey dump handle. Fortunately I saw them and closed it but there was still a lot of stinky water waiting behind the cap.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:04 AM   #3

Use one of these You will have less drip if the pipe is fill

bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:03 AM   #4

As BCK mentioned might be worth investing in a Valterra T58 Twist On RV Waste Valve while continuing with the dealership to get if corrected properly.

Good Luck.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:17 AM   #5

My 377 does the same thing, I mentioned it to service and they said that is normal. My other trailer never did that.

2017 NorthPoint 377RLBH
2017 F350 FX4 DRW 6.7 PSD
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGW...jCx2yKWbNHxFpQ
MadJoker TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:15 PM   #6

Camp soup!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:09 PM   #7

Yep. Mine does it too. I did put a twist on gate valve to 'fix' the problem.

What happens is there is a long section of pipe under the trailer. I have determined that my rear grey tank valve has a slight leak. It fills the pipe which holds a couple gallons.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:12 PM   #8
Site Team

If you dump properly and the valves are not leaking. All you should have is a small amout of shower water.

That would not gross me out.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:43 PM   #9

Mine has the same issue. FWIW, the gate valves do not leak. I know this because I have filled all tanks purposely with water (FULL) and then capped the pipe. If the valves leaked then the pipe would eventually fill and it doesn't . There is definately a low point where whatever is in the pipe collects and then as you travel it makes it's way down to the exit.

I chose the gate valve on the end of the pipe rather than have the underbelly torn apart.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:51 PM   #10

Does your trailer ride at all nose high? I have a very similar problem and i think it's because i use the front valve to try and empty the rear tank. That water has to travel a long way to get to the drain. I sit high so even after closing the valve that water's sitting there. I've actually moved the trailer forward and stopped and water sloshes out. I don't remember having the issue when i've stayed at a place with full hook ups.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikefan7 View Post
Does your trailer ride at all nose high? I have a very similar problem and i think it's because i use the front valve to try and empty the rear tank. That water has to travel a long way to get to the drain. I sit high so even after closing the valve that water's sitting there. I've actually moved the trailer forward and stopped and water sloshes out. I don't remember having the issue when i've stayed at a place with full hook ups.
I typically am in full hookup sites (actually always) and am levelled during the dump process. But regardless, I've had the issue since new and I know that when I arrive at the next stop there will be liquid.

Now one of the things I also did to test was dumped, then drove, then removed cap to drain residual, the recapped and drove more. Upon arriving at next destination (with partial full tanks) there was no liquid. I'm confident that there is a low point somewhere in the plumbing post valve.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:00 PM   #12

I guess the "bend" would explain it. It is a major annoyance for me as well, have to wear gloves and grab a bucket each time i undo it. Have you ever not opened that middle valve and only dumped from the rear? I haven't tried that yet.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikefan7 View Post
I guess the "bend" would explain it. It is a major annoyance for me as well, have to wear gloves and grab a bucket each time i undo it. Have you ever not opened that middle valve and only dumped from the rear? I haven't tried that yet.
No I have not tried to isolate which of the grey tanks causes the issue. When I went through the exercise I described I really thought that I had a valve issue. Once I was confident that the valves were sealing I simply added a gate valve to the end of my discharge and moved on.

Likely for me it's just going to remain the way it is unless something else comes up that requires the dealer to go into the underbelly to that extent. I really don't know how much work would be involved to "fix" it.

It's a fairly common problem as I do recall reading about it in several threads. Probably a long pipe that isn't supported as well as it should be that has developed a sway over the run.

Seriously though, rather than be frustrated everytime you go to hookup you can solve the issue for under 20$

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Sewer/Va...xoCY94QAvD_BwE
Old 09-16-2017, 06:37 PM   #14

Yeah I have the secondary valve but it's not a very solid connection and I'm worried it will fall off in transit. I think the gasket is too tiny that came with it
Old 09-16-2017, 07:57 PM   #15
Site Team

I know a few who leave the twist on valve installed all the time. They put a dab of silicone on it in several places to hold it from coming loose.

Be sure and orient it so that when the slides close it is not knocked off.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:02 AM   #16

I have done the same testing with the same results. Now, for the third time in five months, I am having the dealer remove the underbelly to again check the pitch on all the pipes. The frustration is the dealer and the Jayco rep claim never to have heard of such a problem. Yet I have videos and pictures to back-up the situation.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:37 AM   #17

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
If they have done the check the last time why do you think the dealer would do it again? Yes it will be sitting in the lot for a day or two..........Just think of that for a minute. Unless he allows you to watch when the work is done.
Most of the time this problem will exist is: if a valve seal is leaking or if one of the valves is not closed properly. In my over 50 years of RVing I never heard of a bow in the plumbing drain. Valves are usual close enough to the discharge outlet. Thus the problem has to be from the valves and on. If you find your bow please make a picture of the situation.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:54 AM   #18

I added the valterra twist on. It has been great. I leave it on all the time. Never a problem since (well it may still be there but I nothing comes out due to the secondary valve). As far as the valves being close to the exit not so on my trailer. I had one of the valve handles come unscrewed from the valve. I assumed it was just inboard cut a hole in the coroplast to find it and no it was not there it was well over 3 feet inboard it was approximately at the center line of the trailer for that valve anyway.
barryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:05 AM   #19

ALJO, Thank you for your input. I have a 40 foot fifth wheel with 3 holding tanks. The valves are operated by cable pulls because they are some distance apart. The distance allows for a possible bow in the ABS pipes. The dealer confirmed they found a bow. They took the inexpensive way to correct it; they tried to pressure the bow out of the pipe. Obviously, that didn't work, because I still have the discharge. As most dealers, this one does not allow viewers while they are working.

In the past, we had some smaller TT's. The pipes were considerably shorter and did not lend themselves to this kind of problem.

The reason for my post is to see if others have had a similar situation and to hear how it was corrected. It seems the popular solution is to install another valve at the end of the run. This may be the way I will go, but I would like for the unit to work as expected. After all, we spent mega bucks for this 5er.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:14 AM   #20

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
I always do the jobs myself and look what are causing the problem. Jayco should have a schematic from the tanks and plumbing situation. Hopeful your dealer will fix it right for you. A bit dishwater isn't bad, but black tank liquid I wouldn't like either. Cable pulls are OK as long the cables are oiled, but they install them dry. So keep us posted about the solutions.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote