Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-29-2016, 09:04 PM   #1

Shaking while parked

Ok we just picked up our 2016 jayco eagle rsts and packed it at a campground on the way home! So we are a 1st time 5th wheel owner and are wondering if there any way to stabilize it better? All the jacks are down and when moving around it seems to resonate throughout ? Any thoughts??

Cheers
Larkn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:12 PM   #2

This product review may help:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...bar-33456.html

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:20 PM   #3

I see lots of people with pin stabilizers at our regular park but I've not tried one myself.

I used to use the BAL x chocks that go between the wheels on each side of our previous coach but haven't felt the need in our Eagle.

I'm assuming that you have the Lippert leveling system in yours? Even though the jacks have quite a bit of extension I still am in the habit of throwing down a stack of Legos under each one. My thoughts are that the less each jack has to extend the more stable it might be.

Also after I autolevel the coach and it does its thing I then put the system in manual mode and bump each jack just a bit more.

Just some things to try. I did ask a guy about his pin stabilizer the other day in the park. He was kind of ambivalent about whether it made a significant difference or not but said it's part of his required setup to keep the boss happy and that since using it nobody has hit their head on the pin....

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2016, 12:22 PM   #4

In order to remove most of the wiggling when parked, you have to use one and/or combination of options others have already stated.

Most folks install JT Strong Arm stabilizers, some use the king pin stabilizer tripod, some use BAL X-Chocks--and some use combination of three.

For us, we've been successful with using just the king pin stabilizer, which removes just about 95% of the wobbling coming from the front legs. We also have electric rear stabilizers, so we don't normally use our X-Chocks.

JT Strong Arms would work well, but our spare tire location prevents us from going this route. Take your pick and good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkn5 View Post
Ok we just picked up our 2016 jayco eagle rsts and packed it at a campground on the way home! So we are a 1st time 5th wheel owner and are wondering if there any way to stabilize it better? All the jacks are down and when moving around it seems to resonate throughout ? Any thoughts??

Cheers
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tularockstar View Post
Most folks install JT Strong Arm stabilizers, some use the king pin stabilizer tripod, some use BAL X-Chocks--and some use combination of three.

JT Strong Arms would work well, but our spare tire location prevents us from going this route. Take your pick and good luck!
I use X-Chocks and just 2 weeks ago installed JT Strong Arms. Those made a HUGE difference, removing I would say > 90% of the movement.

I have no plans to buy the king pin stabilizer based on < 50% of folks commenting that they make a difference

As for the spare tire, I had that issue too (we have the same camper lol) but it is relatively easy to work around, I just loosen the tire whenever I raise or lower the front legs, no issues other than it adds another 30 seconds to setting up.

EDIT: Link to my mods page to show anyone interested in how JT Strong Arms look on an Eagle HT. You can see they do touch the spare tire, but again, totally workaround-able

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:38 PM   #6

Shaking while parked

I've used BAL strong arms ... and the JT strong arms ... in my opinion neither is as well made or as good as STEADYFAST.

http://www.steadyfast.com

I have STEADYFAST on my 365BHS and it is as solid as a rock once it's tightened up. (And this is with a 9yr old and a 6yr old running through the camper all day...)

A kingpin stabilizer does nothing for us as we have a MorRyde pinbox.

PS - I always get a chuckle when I see folks using a king pin tripod on a MorRyde pinbox. Trying to stabilize an RV via a pinbox that is designed to flex and move.... hmmmmm... LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"

J.Lockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:41 PM   #7

Wasn't aware of those. My initial impression is they look like a better solution than JT Strong Arms for rigs with the automatic leveling system, and they cost the same.

I disagree that JT Strong Arms aren't well made, though

Old 08-30-2016, 02:28 PM   #8

I had the same problem, and also took a look at the StrongArm and SteadyFast products. They both work the same way---brace using angles to form a triangle. I didn't have close to $500 to throw down, so I made a set that works roughly the same from electrical conduit. Cost me about $40 or so. I'd say it removes a good 90% of the movement we experienced. For less than 1/10th the cost of a manufactured product, I'll deal with having 10% movement remaining.
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:47 PM   #9

Not sure how long ago you looked into them but my JT Strongarms were $250 via Amazon

Regardless, your point is sound, it's about creating triangles at each leg / stabilizer point. MacGyver's Law dictates you can do that in a variety of ways so credit to you for ingenuity!

Old 08-31-2016, 07:42 AM   #10

Did you see this thread on homemade stabilizers (posted by Campbellizer in June)?

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...ers-37539.html
Max & Mocha May - Chesapeake Bay Retrievers
MzLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:06 PM   #11

I have a 2016 eagle ht and I too installed the steady fast. it took out over 90 percent of the movement. love them and have a happy wife. steady fast will walk you thru the installation.
culleokapapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:21 PM   #12

Thanks!

Thank you for this question, Larkn5! We just picked up our Eagle HT 27.5RLTS and had the same problem. We only slept in it one night, at the dealers, but DH's walking around actually shook me awake in the bed. I'm a light sleeper, so I'll be reading/watching this thread. Thanks again!

~Lisa
Campin'_Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:36 PM   #13

Pick up a front pin stabilizer cost about 80 bucks simple to use, helps a lot.We have the same camper.We just store ours in the bed of pickup when we leave.

Brett
Phoenix,AZ
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:40 PM   #14

Don't waste the money on a pin tripod. JT Strongarms or similar with x-chocks are the way to go. I have a 325BHQS that is rock solid with that combo.
StaMic006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:48 PM   #15

I bought a pressure treated 6x6 and cut it into 1' lengths. I put two under each of the four jack so they only have to extend a little bit. It makes a huge difference and cost me $24 from HD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
I'm assuming that you have the Lippert leveling system in yours? Even though the jacks have quite a bit of extension I still am in the habit of throwing down a stack of Legos under each one. My thoughts are that the less each jack has to extend the more stable it might be.
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbreath View Post
I bought a pressure treated 6x6 and cut it into 1' lengths. I put two under each of the four jack so they only have to extend a little bit. It makes a huge difference and cost me $24 from HD!
Great advice. I have 8x8's under every jack. Also try not to release the front legs too far via the pin. Let them extend with the outside (heavier tube) for greater strength.
StaMic006 is offline   Reply With Quote