Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-15-2016, 10:10 AM   #1

Shopping for used 5er

We are just in the beginning phase of shopping for an upgrade, & looking for info and opinions.

Right now, we have an old Fleetwood Widerness 29ft. in usable shape. It's been good for weekends and short trips, but it's just not worth fixing all the structural issues that it has. We are nearing retirement and want something comparable in size for snow bird cross crountry trips.

What has caught our eye were some of the late 90's Designer 3030 units that are for sale. They seem to be well made, just one slide to maintain, not too big.

The 3030 is just an example and starting point, not what we're set on. We would like to keep gross Wt. Below 10,000, decent tank capacity, solid frame and build quality., easy to maintain. We tend to spend a lot of time outside, so no need for enough room for a square dance. Our tow vehicle is a 3/4 ton set up for easy off roading.

Opinions? Ideas?
RossAnabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:20 PM   #2

If you are looking for something older take your time and look them over real good from top to bottom. The last thing you want is a handyman special that has leaked and has hidden mold, rotted floors, etc.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:55 PM   #3

It's a crapshoot purchasing a 15-20 year old RV.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:46 PM   #4

Yeah, the one we have now has water damage in the roof and walls, but the floor is solid. It's over 20 years old, but everything is still working on it. It's just not worth putting any money into.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:15 PM   #5

If you plan on camping in the south, like florida ,gulf shores or any good campground.it can't be more then 10 years old.
culleokapapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by culleokapapa View Post
If you plan on camping in the south, like florida ,gulf shores or any good campground.it can't be more then 10 years old.
Thanks for the heads up. We'll stay away from the good campgrounds.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:42 AM   #7

We picked up a good deal on a well maintained 1999 Designer 2930 this summer. Got if from an individual. My only issue was that it didn't have a pin box extender and I have a 6.5' truck bed. That's being taken care of now. It made for some wide turns on the 6 mile trip from the previous owner's place to mine.
I don't know about your area, but some RV dealers around here don't bother even cleaning up units that they take in on trade. They put them on the lot just as they got them. And then put some ridiculous prices on them. We saw some pretty mangy looking stuff before we purchased.
Inspector 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:49 AM   #8

Just my view, but if I was planning long periods away from home and cross-country trips I'd want something of a lesser vintage than 20 yrs old. Not sure what you are budgetting but breaking down a long way from home would mean I can't fix it myself.

I can see where campgrounds use the 10yr rule to deny entry to junk but there are some good looking old trailers, just depends on the upkeep by the owner.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
Just my view, but if I was planning long periods away from home and cross-country trips I'd want something of a lesser vintage than 20 yrs old. Not sure what you are budgetting but breaking down a long way from home would mean I can't fix it myself.

I can see where campgrounds use the 10yr rule to deny entry to junk but there are some good looking old trailers, just depends on the upkeep by the owner.
I'd agree with that statement. All of our use will be relatively local, so we opted for the older one. For our annual Florida vacation we rent a home because we haul 2-4 motorcycles with us.
Inspector 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:47 AM   #10

I understand about the 10 year rule, mine is 27 years old and in passable condition. The frame is structural C channel, better than a lot of new one. Anything rusty gets painted. I keep it washed, nothing hanging off it. I'm not embarrassed by it. Last weekend at Pentwater (Mears SP), there was an older Jayco Designer, at least 20 years old, immaculate condition, one of the nicest looking rigs in the place.

My idea is to find a well built trailer in excellent condition, update all the running gear and major coach systems. I'll still have less into it than a new one, and it will have what I want on it, not what some marketing guru thinks will be most profitable.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:54 AM   #11

Sounds like a good plan. I'd like to restore an older Airstream at some point and set it up the way I want it for 2 people.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossAnabel View Post
Thanks for the heads up. We'll stay away from the good campgrounds.

I agree !

We recently went through the same process.

Starting with an 88 Wilderness 25 foot 5er with no slides. We have enjoyed it immensely but plan to do more extensive travels in the future, so we started looking around for something newer with a little more room and features.

First we looked online, camping world, dealers, eBay, to get an idea of the features and layout we liked.

I really liked the rear kitchen and my wife liked an enclosed bathroom and an island bed. One slide on the L/R and possibly one on the B/R.

From there we built a list of units to look at and set up a long weekend to travel and check them out.

We looked at a lot of crap. It's amazing how nice things look in photos!
All the dealers wanted to sell us a brand new rig. We didn't want to spend that much and honestly weren't that impressed with new rigs.

Finally we got to the rig we liked best online, it was the furthest away, had all the features we liked, and was in good shape. It is now ours

It is a 2010 Jayco HT 29.5 RKS and we are quite happy.

It's a lot bigger than our old unit and we had to trim trees to get it in the driveway, and it won't fit in some of the old places we used to go, but it will be perfect for some extended travels.

Good luck with your search.

GTAEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:44 AM   #13

One thing to consider and I think is most important to the overall integrity is the roof.
Our old unit was a 2003 gulfstream mako tt and we loved it but the roof was getting old and I knew that it had deteriorated to a point of letting moisture wick under it because I had 2 soft spots on the roof and a couple of light stains inside. To replace the roof and rotten wood including removing vents, a/c unit and skylights would have cost roughly 5000 to 7000 dollars including labor and even though I probably could have performed the repair myself I had neither the time or place to undertake such a project so we traded it in realizing 10000 for trade beat having 7000 dollars more invested that we would never recoup. One has to consider all things including money invested initially, then what it will cost to make it structurally sound and any upgrades to make it yours then weigh that against the cost of a new unit.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAEagle View Post
I agree !

We recently went through the same process.

Starting with an 88 Wilderness 25 foot 5er with no slides. We have enjoyed it immensely but plan to do more extensive travels in the future, so we started looking around for something newer with a little more room and features.

First we looked online, camping world, dealers, eBay, to get an idea of the features and layout we liked.

I really liked the rear kitchen and my wife liked an enclosed bathroom and an island bed. One slide on the L/R and possibly one on the B/R.

From there we built a list of units to look at and set up a long weekend to travel and check them out.

We looked at a lot of crap. It's amazing how nice things look in photos!
All the dealers wanted to sell us a brand new rig. We didn't want to spend that much and honestly weren't that impressed with new rigs.

Finally we got to the rig we liked best online, it was the furthest away, had all the features we liked, and was in good shape. It is now ours

It is a 2010 Jayco HT 29.5 RKS and we are quite happy.

It's a lot bigger than our old unit and we had to trim trees to get it in the driveway, and it won't fit in some of the old places we used to go, but it will be perfect for some extended travels.

Good luck with your search.

Sounds like a well thought out and executed plan. I'm trying to put cash away to follow. Hopefully next year.
Enjoy!!
Old 09-17-2016, 11:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintinfool3 View Post
One thing to consider and I think is most important to the overall integrity is the roof.
Our old unit was a 2003 gulfstream mako tt and we loved it but the roof was getting old and I knew that it had deteriorated to a point of letting moisture wick under it because I had 2 soft spots on the roof and a couple of light stains inside. To replace the roof and rotten wood including removing vents, a/c unit and skylights would have cost roughly 5000 to 7000 dollars including labor and even though I probably could have performed the repair myself I had neither the time or place to undertake such a project so we traded it in realizing 10000 for trade beat having 7000 dollars more invested that we would never recoup. One has to consider all things including money invested initially, then what it will cost to make it structurally sound and any upgrades to make it yours then weigh that against the cost of a new unit.
Yeah, that's pretty much what we are up against too. We only paid 1500 for what we have, and it will never be worth much more than that, no matter what repairs or updates are done. Half of the roof is soft and about 12 ft of wall. It would take a couple grand and a big chunk of time after retirement to rebuild it, but I already have too many projects. I wanna have some fun too. I call this the handyman curse.
So we'll get something structurally sound and worthy of sinking a "little" time and money into.