Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-08-2017, 07:57 PM   #1

Should I Worry?

Temp. on Friday will be 35 and will drop down to 16 overnight. Following day will be 40 and drop down to 24 overnight. I don't believe l'll have a problem. Will be camping so we'll have heat. Does anyone think I should be concerned? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my 9020A using Tapatalk
richie t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:15 PM   #2

To be safe, I would sleep with my socks on ��. Stay warm.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
To be safe, I would sleep with my socks on ��. Stay warm.
Thanks. Think water will be ok?

Old 11-08-2017, 08:36 PM   #4

We are camping as well. Lows in the 20’s at night. Typically the campground will still have water on this weekend. I will though probably un hook the water at night. Hose on the ground will freeze. I will have water in the tank to flush with and such. Past that i think you should be okay. What are you camping in??
Cflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie t View Post
Temp. on Friday will be 35 and will drop down to 16 overnight. Following day will be 40 and drop down to 24 overnight. I don't believe l'll have a problem. Will be camping so we'll have heat. Does anyone think I should be concerned? Thanks in advance.

You will be fine as long as heat is on, water system won't freeze with those temps.
Have fun camping.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:31 PM   #6

We just spent several days where the temps were in the upper 20's and dropped into the teens at night. Kept the water heaters on (lines are not heated) and did not experience any issues with the water lines. The heater did run a lot every night though, even though we dropped the thermostat to 60.
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:35 PM   #7

If you are using the trailer in those temps it should be fine because it takes a combination of time and temperature to freeze things hard enough to damage. You probably are only seeing those lows for an hour or two each night. Even non-winter-ready trailers bleed quite a bit of heat out to the plumbing and tanks when the interior is warm.

Longer term storage at those temps might be a concern.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cflowers View Post
We are camping as well. Lows in the 20’s at night. Typically the campground will still have water on this weekend. I will though probably un hook the water at night. Hose on the ground will freeze. I will have water in the tank to flush with and such. Past that i think you should be okay. What are you camping in??
Camping in Eagle HT fifth wheel. Exterior hose froze over night, but don't seem to see any concerns other than that. Will be 52 today. If I fill my fresh water tank do you think that will be safe over the weekend. Going to get down to 16 Saturday but 35 to 40 during the day. Suppose to have thermo shield on this trailer.

Old 11-09-2017, 04:37 AM   #9

My eagle HT freezes at anything below 19 degrees. The freeze point is from the connection center on the outside of the trailer in to almost the pump. That area is very exposed to cold air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by repacs0103 View Post
My eagle HT freezes at anything below 19 degrees. The freeze point is from the connection center on the outside of the trailer in to almost the pump. That area is very exposed to cold air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How worried should I be?

Old 11-09-2017, 05:43 AM   #11
Site Team

Personally, I would disconnect the water from the trailer and drain the hose. Many CG's we frequent tell you to do that anyway, it is a good idea. Every time I have had any problem it was in that area.
As soon as it's daylight and the water in the hose will be moving from time to time you won't have a problem.

Run the furnace at night.

That and some pajamas would be the only thing I would do.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:41 AM   #12

We have camped with the lows in the low 20's at night with the daytime highs in the range your talking with no issues. I do crack open the cabinet doors that have plumbing in them to just allow a little extra heat back to them. I would put water in the FW tank for night use, and fully disconnect the hose. I would not want the plastic hose fitting to break.

With a 5ver, you should have a heated underbelly, so the tanks and any water lines should be fine.

This morning our low was about 20 degrees, and the temps have been very cool for the past few days. I checked my small garden pond and it had about a 1/16th of an inch of ice floating on it. So if you do not have a heated underbelly your tanks will have no issues.

In our HTT, I put an electric mattress pad on the bed this time of year, and it makes it so much more comfortable!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Personally, I would disconnect the water from the trailer and drain the hose. Many CG's we frequent tell you to do that anyway, it is a good idea. Every time I have had any problem it was in that area.
As soon as it's daylight and the water in the hose will be moving from time to time you won't have a problem.

Run the furnace at night.

That and some pajamas would be the only thing I would do.
You were right. Went to flush toilet this morning and no water. Outside hose was frozen. Removed same and replaced with another hose and all was well again. Shortly afterwards campground notified everyone they were shutting waster off shortly so I had to fill my freshwater tank for the next destination down to Cape Cod for the weekend. No water hookups there either; just electric.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:11 PM   #14

Eagle premier here and starting to have problems at 3 degrees

Envoyé de mon SM-G950W en utilisant Tapatalk
tortue71 is offline   Reply With Quote