Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-06-2023, 09:44 AM   #1

Sidewall crack not covered by 3 year Warranty

I know that this has been brought up in the Fifth wheel section, but they all seem to be old. I have a 2020 Seismic with the slide crack issue. I see that many of the non Toy hauler cracks have been fixed out of warranty, but I have not seen any that were denied under warranty. I bought the Jayco because they advertised that there frames were so strong that they did not need the expansion joint that other manufactures use, but now here I am within the 3 year structural warranty, and I'm being told it only covers the aluminum structure and not "stress cracks" to the fiberglass. even though the warranty card states,
"The term of this Limited Warranty is 3 years for substantial defects to any “Structure Components”.
Structure Components means materials and/or workmanship directly attributable
to Jayco relating to the laminated fiberglass sidewall assembly,"
It excludes parts the normal wear, and Maintenace items, but not the laminated fiberglass. I have gone in circles with Jayco customer service and just end up with the denial. Has anyone had experience in getting past this point without going to outside help? or if I'm off base, let me know. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
frame sales pitch.jpg  
Ogerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 04:43 PM   #2

Luckily I have not had to face this. i would like to what exactly causes this. Is it just normal flex of the frame causing the fiberglass to crack or is there a structural break within the frame itself.
Old 02-07-2023, 05:06 AM   #3

I would like to know what caused the crack in my Fiberglass structure also, but I think that Jayco knows this, and that is why they changed their tune. I just wish that they would honor there structural warranty.
Ogerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 02:24 PM   #4

Pretty frustrating that they acknowledge the issue by the fact that many of the new FW’s come from the factory with a relief cut. I just dropped mine off today to get a relief cut. I already knew it wasn’t covered, but still frustrating. Mine is a 2019. Took 3 years to get a small crack.
2022 Chevy 3000HD Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 10:31 AM   #5

I am dealing with the same thing Ogerjohn. I have a 2020 Northpoint 377rlbh. Sad they are not honoring their 3 year structural warranty. That is supposed to include walls and frame.
Bhays74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 12:23 PM   #6

I’m also dealing with this on our 2020 317RLOK. Crack appeared in Oct of 2023 and warranty expired in August of 2023.
It’s at the dealership who is waiting on instructions to continue. I just spoke with Jayco who is not honoring the warranty since it’s expired. They are giving me an estimate on the repairs at the factory along with the specific details of the repair. After I receive that I will decide how to proceed.
Has anyone filed this on their insurance?
Preynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 06:27 PM   #7

Stress crack repair should be covered under structural warranty. Same thing happened on my 2020 Montana fifth wheel and Keystone repaired it under structural warranty as well as premeptive repair on the opposite side that was not cracked.
Old 03-22-2024, 06:59 AM   #8

I would push and push the issue.. sidewall cracks have been around a while and its NOT A STRESS CRACK.. you have broken welds in either the pin box area and broken wall stud welds behind the wall...

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2020/J...Communications

Repair PDF from Jayco - https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...06827-0001.pdf
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 09:09 AM   #9

Please post photos of the sidewall crack. It is either a impact fracture, which is usually evidenced by multiple cracks and is not covered by structural warrany, or stress crack, which is evidenced by a single crack and should be covered under structural warranty.

In my case, the single sidewall crack on my 2020 Montana fifth-wheel trailer at the corner of the bedroom slide was concluded to be a stress crack by Keystone and they repaired it with additional wall bracing or gusset (existing ones were not broken), new sidewall and an expansion joint. They did the same pre-emptive repair on the oposite side whch also has a bedroom slide. Do an intyernet search and you will find plenty of examples. As a result, newer fifth wheel trailer have additional bracing and an expanision joint.
Old 03-22-2024, 09:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
you have broken welds in either the pin box area and broken wall stud welds behind the wall...
Not necessarily. They are also caused by frame flex that is why the repair says "Gussets if needed".. Had the issue with our 2015 PINNACLE and that's all it needed. There were no broken welds involved.
Old 03-22-2024, 09:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Not necessarily. They are also caused by frame flex that is why the repair says "Gussets if needed".. Had the issue with our 2015 PINNACLE and that's all it needed. There were no broken welds involved.
You were lucky.. the RV fifth wheel industry is flooded right now from one end to the other... all brands with cracks at either the forward front slide and/or more than 1/4 inch of vertical movement from un LG to on the truck hitch...
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 10:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
You were lucky.. the RV fifth wheel industry is flooded right now from one end to the other... all brands with cracks at either the forward front slide and/or more than 1/4 inch of vertical movement from un LG to on the truck hitch...
So true. Grand Design is getting hammered right now with frame flex. Several YouTube vids with Lippert trying to wiggle out of it by saying it's a joint venture between the 5th wheel manufacture and Lippert concerning durability. One side is to blame basically and then the finger pointing begins.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 12:04 PM   #13

Jayco quietly switched to the Lippert Rhino Pin box in 2022, also called space saver deck with out really talking about it. That is what my trailer came with and is suppose to be better.

see video here https://youtu.be/DhN9pjJKS4M?si=JbLVpYBrQr2RyhcE&t=200

Also, more videos on his channel on this subject.

I saw an old video of the Jayco factory rep bragging that Jayco didn't need the stress relief cut....but now they are doing those relief cuts. LOL

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 08:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
Jayco quietly switched to the Lippert Rhino Pin box in 2022, also called space saver deck with out really talking about it. That is what my trailer came with and is suppose to be better.

see video here https://youtu.be/DhN9pjJKS4M?si=JbLVpYBrQr2RyhcE&t=200

Also, more videos on his channel on this subject.

I saw an old video of the Jayco factory rep bragging that Jayco didn't need the stress relief cut....but now they are doing those relief cuts. LOL
Was that the video of Jayco’s John McDonald standing on a Jayco roof saying the other brands had inferior frames and Jayco is so well built they can use a one piece sidewall?
I remember it well, and based my final decision on buying the new model NorthPoint in 2015.
Video is now gone and my sidewall is cracked.
I covered it up like the “inferior” manufacturers do.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote