Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-22-2019, 02:13 PM   #301

I personally would only have Jayco do the repairs. While I was aggravated with the crack re-appearing, they were quick to work it back in to hopefully resolve it. Their customer service reps have been very responsive and great to deal with.
2018 North Point 377RLBH, Roadmaster Comfort Ride, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Flexair 21k Pinbox, Victron MultiPlus II 2x120v 12v, power distribution, solar controller, smart shunt, 1000w of solar panels, 4 Lifepo4 200ah batteries
2017 Ford F350 Lariat CC DRW LB 6.7, Air Lift 7500XL with Air Lift dual channel wireless
bill3kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:41 AM   #302

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill3kirk View Post
I personally would only have Jayco do the repairs. While I was aggravated with the crack re-appearing, they were quick to work it back in to hopefully resolve it. Their customer service reps have been very responsive and great to deal with.
Who is your rep? Ours is Brittanie and it just seems to be a continuous runaround. First is she stated they would only pay our fuel. Now saying they'll pick-up but only at a dealer? Is that what everyone has experienced?

" Jayco only picks up and drops off at Jayco dealers. If you would like the trailer to be picked up and dropped off you would need to locate a Jayco dealer near your location which I have listed below and see if they will allow this to be picked up and dropped off there. The dealers that we have near your location would be"
Slurugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:04 AM   #303

My rep was Brittanie as well and our trailer was picked up and dropped off at the dealer.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:29 AM   #304

My rep was Brittanie as well but had no issues. Service writer was John.
Although, since it is going back for re-work there are a lot of different Jayco personnel copied on email correspondence now.

They are picking up and returning mine where we were staying for the winter. We are just moving to a Lodge while they have it.
2018 North Point 377RLBH, Roadmaster Comfort Ride, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Flexair 21k Pinbox, Victron MultiPlus II 2x120v 12v, power distribution, solar controller, smart shunt, 1000w of solar panels, 4 Lifepo4 200ah batteries
2017 Ford F350 Lariat CC DRW LB 6.7, Air Lift 7500XL with Air Lift dual channel wireless
Old 10-23-2019, 09:02 AM   #305

What kind of response time are you getting after you report the crack to Jayco? I got a reply the day after i sent in an email acknowledging the issue, but nothing since the 17th of Oct.

Thanks
Old 10-23-2019, 09:19 AM   #306

When the issue first appeared I called Jayco on 4/30 and sent an email with pics. On 5/2 they called and scheduled the work and confirmed with an email. It was there from 9/30 to 10/17. I opted to deliver/pickup myself since we were going to be in the Michigan area anyway.

When the crack re-appeared they were very responsive in working it back in to fix.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:26 AM   #307

I have since spoken with the Service Manager at Vogt RV in Ft. Worth and was quite impressed. They have performed many crack repairs and have not had any returns due to failures. We had a good and frank talk about how they achieved such a record and I was satisfied with the answer. I am leaning towards having them do this repair as opposed to Jayco.

They could take us as soon as December but due to our traveling style we will not be there until the end of May, and that is traveling direct across I-20 with no additional miles on the crack. That will also give me more time to continue my due diligence on the facility. They plan on about 8-9 days on the repair but I will likely add some other work.

Biggest challenge so far will be finding housing for us with 4 dogs and 4 cats.
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 11:26 AM   #308

Quote:
When the issue first appeared I called Jayco on 4/30 and sent an email with pics. On 5/2 they called and scheduled the work and confirmed with an email. It was there from 9/30 to 10/17. I opted to deliver/pickup myself since we were going to be in the Michigan area anyway.

When the crack re-appeared they were very responsive in working it back in to fix.

I was not given an option to have the factory repair mine as of yet. I sent in pictures but they are saying I have to take it to a dealership to start the process.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:00 AM   #309

Quote:
No frame drawing but this was posted at one point in this subject which corresponds to what I was told when at the factory. In addition there is a support added in the LP tank area.
I've seen those pictures before. It's also similar to the work I've seen done on Montana's. Lost of units with the front slides have cracked. I was wondering what the underlying Lippert frame looks like. That's the common element on pretty much every 5th wheel until you get into the stupid money ones. I'll see if Jayco will send me the drawing for mine.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 11:07 AM   #310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
We were just referred by Jayco to Vogt RV in Ft. Worth TX. for our crack repair.
https://www.vogtrv.com/

Anyone know these guys? It's about the same distance for us to get to Middlebury as it is to Ft. Worth and I may just tell Jayco that we can wait until next August. We tend to travel only a few hundred miles at a time, then stay for a month. So we won't be adding any more miles to the crack.

After reading Bill3Kirk's post about picking up his rig from Jayco just a few days ago only to have the crack reappear, I'm thinking that I would prefer to have such a possibility be Jayco's problem rather than getting a third party involved and forming a circular firing squad. Plus maybe by August 2020 Jayco can finally figure out how to do it right(?).

Unless someone can tell me that Vogt RV in Ft. Worth has already figured it out...?

Part of me wants to just keep going and keep a tube of GE Silicone II in the glove box and call it an "expansion joint".

Angus
Would be nice of someone had figured out a repair that actually fixes the problem but I don't hold out hope so I'll just silicone it.

Even if they reinforce the side wall and that frame corner to stop that crack it'll just move the stress somewhere else. The problem, as I see it, lies in the lack of stiffness in the forward portion of the frame in front of the basement where it steps up to the overhang.
Old 10-25-2019, 05:34 PM   #311

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
Would be nice of someone had figured out a repair that actually fixes the problem but I don't hold out hope so I'll just silicone it.

Even if they reinforce the side wall and that frame corner to stop that crack it'll just move the stress somewhere else. The problem, as I see it, lies in the lack of stiffness in the forward portion of the frame in front of the basement where it steps up to the overhang.
You are 100% correct.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:04 AM   #312
jsk

My experience after picking up unit after the fix. There was a list of items for Jayco to fix. After inquiring about progress Brittany replies she has not been contacted and she would do a walk through before unit was returned to dealer. The next day the dealer calls and says unit has been dropped off-I never hear from Brittany. A couple days later I pick it up and bring home.
Of the many items requested for repair 2 are actually fixed.
One item not repaired as requested is the wiper slide on bottom of recliner slide. It has been hanging up since day one and has been ‘worked on’ while under warranty with every trip to dealer. Jayco completely removed the seal and now I have a gap between slide and floor - paperwork shows charge of 3 hours.
The crack is not there and it looks like support was added to passenger compartment. Good. I did think they would have washed it but no big deal. The camper is filthy.
My biggest problem is the unit is scratched down both sides like it has been through bushes or trees. Some scratches are likely permanent - even in the area where fiberglass work took place and on the new decals. I am disgusted.
Another problem is trim piece around fridge had warped and pulled away on one end about 1/2”. Paperwork says “put 2 sided tape on it and pushed together’. I’m looking for the tape and wood is still pulled apart.
I will not go into other details like my brakes smell like they scrubbing.

This illustrates my experience and has likely told me to not consider Jayco for my next RV purchase. I am contemplating how to discuss with Jayco. They did leave paperwork in camper for feedback.

I hope others have a better experience.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:14 AM   #313

Sorry to hear about your frustrations. Although, now I'm going to do a full video of the roof and sides, etc... the day the driver picks it up (Dec 2) to avoid and finger pointing if anything happens to mine, like it did to yours.
Old 11-23-2019, 03:16 PM   #314

2018 NP 381 FLWS crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
I have since spoken with the Service Manager at Vogt RV in Ft. Worth and was quite impressed. They have performed many crack repairs and have not had any returns due to failures. We had a good and frank talk about how they achieved such a record and I was satisfied with the answer. I am leaning towards having them do this repair as opposed to Jayco.

They could take us as soon as December but due to our traveling style we will not be there until the end of May, and that is traveling direct across I-20 with no additional miles on the crack. That will also give me more time to continue my due diligence on the facility. They plan on about 8-9 days on the repair but I will likely add some other work.

Biggest challenge so far will be finding housing for us with 4 dogs and 4 cats.
I had my NP FLWS repaired at Vogt. Very professional and the shop is set up for a major repair. Jennifer the service coordinator and Cliff Harris the service manager are the best. Vogt actually had Jayco come down and spent a week going through the repairs needed. Cliff is becoming the go to man for this repair.
450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:43 AM   #315

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450 View Post
I had my NP FLWS repaired at Vogt. Very professional and the shop is set up for a major repair. Jennifer the service coordinator and Cliff Harris the service manager are the best. Vogt actually had Jayco come down and spent a week going through the repairs needed. Cliff is becoming the go to man for this repair.
They won't have any shortage of work. Pretty much every fifth wheel with slides in the overhang is susceptible to the cracking.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:00 AM   #316

Quote:

Thanks 450 for the encouragement. We've booked with Vogt for late May, right after Memorial Day. Jennifer seems on the ball for sure; something I'm not used to when calling Jayco.

Angus
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
Old 11-24-2019, 09:22 AM   #317

Shortage off work

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
They won't have any shortage of work. Pretty much every fifth wheel with slides in the overhang is susceptible to the cracking.
I think some of the problem is that Jayco does not allow enough $$$ for this repair. Shops end up taking short cuts once they find out what Jayco allows. I've heard this from a couple of shops that will not even attempt to perform this repair because it's a loser for them. What I find interesting is that the new models are not being produced with the modifications to make them stronger.
450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:50 AM   #318

Quote:
... What I find interesting is that the new models are not being produced with the modifications to make them stronger.

Right. This summer after reporting my crack to Jayco, I asked for all outstanding TSB's (Technical Service Bullitens) on my unit. One document dated August 2018 described...

TSB 18-012 : Reinforce the hitch structure to reduce flexing and potential fiberglass cracking
TSB 18-014 : Correct slideout from not opening when the bedroom door disengages from the interlock device.

Again, this document was dated August 2018. My unit was built in September 2018. They were not done and are on the list for Vogt (along with the bathroom roof fan switch)

Since our purchase in December, the only recall we had been contacted about was for the awning fuse issue. When someone here on the forum told me about TSB-0014, and I first called Jayco about it in early summer after being locked out of the bedroom for 3 days, the tech on the phone denied it existed.
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
Old 11-24-2019, 10:12 AM   #319

I believe the bean counters have decided to not add the reinforcement because they are placing odds that the big trailers sit on seasonal sites. Not hitched up and bouncing down are collectively crappy roads fully loaded at near or over the speed limit.

For the few they have to fix they are money ahead!
Just my humble semi educated farm boy IT geek assessment.

YMMV

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:51 AM   #320

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadrunnerII View Post
I believe the bean counters have decided to not add the reinforcement because they are placing odds that the big trailers sit on seasonal sites. Not hitched up and bouncing down are collectively crappy roads fully loaded at near or over the speed limit.

For the few they have to fix they are money ahead!
Just my humble semi educated farm boy IT geek assessment.

YMMV

RoadrunnerII
I expect any manufacturer of anything uses statistics to determine what level of quality to put into a product vs the warranty claims. Jayco only needs to get past two years without someone noticing there is a crack. We bought ours used so there was no warranty at all even though it was only a year old. I know of Montana's that have the same crack with a bed slide on the ODS. Ours had a small crack when I first noticed it, it grew 200% this past winter with the condition of I70 in CO.