Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-25-2020, 05:16 PM   #421

I am a retired stress analysis engineer and have a 2018 385 THWS with this crack showing up this last week (9000 miles on unit). Still wainting on Jayco. This crack I belive is from a bending moment created by the slide when it is in the inposition. On every bump the slide tries to go down and pushes out on the bottom of the slide opening. The brace in this drawing from Jayco would only help if the crack was from pulling the unit. Pulling the unit does not cause this crack. This crack is caused by the vertical force on the slide every time a bump is hit. That is a lot of cycles when going down the road. I am going to run some test and hope to talk to Jayco engineering.
alan bergkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:21 PM   #422

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan bergkamp View Post
I am a retired stress analysis engineer and have a 2018 385 THWS with this crack showing up this last week (9000 miles on unit). Still wainting on Jayco. This crack I belive is from a bending moment created by the slide when it is in the inposition. On every bump the slide tries to go down and pushes out on the bottom of the slide opening. The brace in this drawing from Jayco would only help if the crack was from pulling the unit. Pulling the unit does not cause this crack. This crack is caused by the vertical force on the slide every time a bump is hit. That is a lot of cycles when going down the road. I am going to run some test and hope to talk to Jayco engineering.

If what you’re saying is correct, then having shocks and/or an air hitch like the trailer saver would be the best preventative. I’m knocking on wood that my setup has prevented the reoccurrence of the crack.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:38 PM   #423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
If what you’re saying is correct, then having shocks and/or an air hitch like the trailer saver would be the best preventative. I’m knocking on wood that my setup has prevented the reoccurrence of the crack.
YES and NO. Shocks and air will decease the magnatude but not the cycles. I have air and shocks and it still cracked. With Alum cycles is key as it flexes 3 times more than steel and has no fatique limit.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:41 PM   #424

The best brace would be a small leg under the slide when it was in. (A leg between the slide and floor) In this way the load of the slide when a bump is hit would be transfered to the floor and not the side wall. After I do some test I will update.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:03 PM   #425

Sidewall crack study-what’s your setup?

Quote:
The best brace would be a small leg under the slide when it was in. (Aleg between the slide and floor) In this way the load of the slide when a bump is hit would be transfered to the floor and not the side wall. After I do some test I will update.

So what your telling me is I should just trade the damn thing in because they’re never going to fix it. [emoji1787]

Tow Rig: 2015 Ford F-450 Platinum, airbags, B&W Companion hitch for factory puck system.
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:44 PM   #426

Quote:
Mine is - according to Jayco- the "first to crack with the new wall design". The engineering team is stumped and wants mine back to investigate.

Tow Rig: 2015 Ford F-450 Platinum, airbags, B&W Companion hitch for factory puck system.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:22 PM   #427

Tell them they have a request in from Harper Camper Land in Great Bend Kansas and we are waiting! Mine is broke on both sides and on the left side of the camper it is all the way through to the inside as the panneling is also broke. We also sent pictures of the crack to them. How long have you waited on them?
Old 10-26-2020, 01:26 PM   #428

I would like to attache a Picture but cant figure it out. My crack is 8 inches long
Old 10-26-2020, 01:53 PM   #429

Quote:
Tell them they have a request in from Harper Camper Land in Great Bend Kansas and we are waiting! Mine is broke on both sides and on the left side of the camper it is all the way through to the inside as the panneling is also broke. We also sent pictures of the crack to them. How long have you waited on them?
Wow. The inside as well. Crazy.

The first crack repair done a year ago using the repair doc in this post (at Jayco). The it cracked again and the entire wall was replaced (with a new design). They had it from mid-August until mid-Oct. It cracked again in the trip home from Jayco (after a couple of hundred miles).

We are using it again next month so they can have it back over the winter.

Old 10-26-2020, 02:08 PM   #430

Good to know. I am going to do the calculations on the structure, as I think the structure will not fail. It is the fiberglass that can not take the fatigue. I am working on a design because I will be surprised if Jayco does anything. I will call them every week and see what they do. I will keep you updated. IF you talk to them ask what the weight of the slide, fully furnished, is.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:27 PM   #431

Just saw on Facebook someone picked up their brand new 2021 377 and it has an expansion joint from the factory.

Old 11-17-2020, 02:50 PM   #432

Mine started today. Called dealer he said he would try for Jan / Feb
pawags45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 03:41 PM   #433

Mine is set at dealership in Texas for end of Jan. They said they have never had one come back after they fixed it.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:36 PM   #434

Anyone know where to get side wall crack repair done in South East PA. still under warranty?

Larry Wagner
Stewartstown PA
2019 Jayco Pinnacle 36SSWS (Louise)
2019 Chevelet Silverado 3500 Dully Duramax Engine (Allison Transmission) (Thelma)
pawags45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:20 PM   #435

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawags45 View Post
Anyone know where to get side wall crack repair done in South East PA. still under warranty?

I’m in DE mine went back to Jayco twice and is going back a third time. I had spoken to Connecticut Motorcars and Coach ( before the first repair) after seeing some pics of their work but when it actually came time to schedule they blew me off. There is an RV Collision/ repair place in Jackson NJ. I’ve never used them-only seen them at RV shows. https://www.rvcollisioncenter.com. Don’t know if they would do it.

Old 11-28-2020, 08:11 AM   #436

So here we are 5 weeks later and estimate has not been submitted to Jayco for authorization. Picked unit up last week after temporary repair by drilling end of crack and applying sealant. Shop would not have been able to fix unit with Jayco’s guidance prior to my trip south after Christmas.

We are hoping for authorization of repair prior to heading back north mid-March. Parts will be ordered and delivered so hopefully when we get back repairs will be made then. It appears this will be covered under warranty. I will repost when I have formal authorization from Jayco.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom and Beth Impey
North Attleboro MA
2019 Jayco Eagle 321 RSTS
2018 Denali HD DRW
Timpey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:10 PM   #437

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9318.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	65828Well as of today, we're new members of the sidewall crack club. We have airbags and Morryde orbital pinbox. We've also had Jayco/Lippert weld gussets on the propane tank area for a different issue, the sagging trim problem, where they also installed longer screws.
But this is the first time we've seen this crack. Warranty up in April 2021, we'll be contacting the dealer Monday.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:14 PM   #438

Got the dreaded crack.

My unit was made in May of 2016. I bought it new, May 2017. I have not put that many miles on it due to it being in the shop for an accumulated 23 months. 20 months during warranty at Burton's Camper in Calera, Alabama. All for a simple solution, follow floor plans provided by Jayco, which they could not grasp the concept. The last three months it has been at Lazy Days, to hopefully get our punch list issue finally fixed and the recall.

Picked it up Friday, which was Nov. 20, 2020 and hauled it to Wears Valley, which is about 30 miles. No crack, until the next morning.

My set up is a 2011 F250, 6.7 King Ranch with the factory puck system, and companion hitch. I have also used a Reese 25K. Ride rite Air bags at 30 psi and Bilstien shocks. Tire pressure on truck at factory specs and trailer at 109 psi.

So I have owned the unit for several years and did not get the crack until it was parked, after a recall that would have required to lift the unit, but the unit has spent most of its time parked at a dealership.

Now everything is falling apart, and I never had much of a chance to work the bugs out.
MC404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:50 PM   #439

Well Jayco is picking my 377 up again to fix the crack (actually two this time) for a third time. Supposedly the new wall put in was not built correctly so it’s getting another new wall. It’s also getting the relief cut in the wall. Fingers crossed.

This time crack is bigger and almost horizontal from the corner towards the front and last week it started to crack vertically straight down from the corner also.

Old 12-03-2020, 09:34 PM   #440

Location: Full timing in the 377, but Llano, Texas is now home
My heart goes out for you guys suffering the crack on the newest rigs and those here suffering through multiple re-cracks. So sad and disheartening to read the new sidewall designs aren’t any better. They tried to push that 2 month repair on us (fulltimers) we said heck no. That’s insane, like starting over again! And to hear this new improved wall cracked in 4 hrs?

The only way Jayco is ever going to conquer this problem once and for all, and to preserve everyone’s sanity is to bow their heads of their sidewall pride and begin to install expansion joints at the factory and relief cuts on all these repairs under all slides above the overhang. The relief cut repair is a 2-3 hr job (in and out in a day) like we finally got on our 3rd crack up in Middlebury. No issues with it on the 1300 mile journey home to TX. Good luck to you all out there, I know it’s so frustrating to go through this saga just one time, but for us was three. Everyone here has just cause to ask for the relief cut and get it. It will be less ‘stress’ on everyone.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie MC 4x2 DRW 6.7CTD, B&W Companion Slider 3405, Edge Evolution CS (deleted DPF/DOC-special tune), TireMinder TM-77, Firestone air springs, CustomFlow tailgate, Tonnosport tonneau cover, Champion 3100w genset
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH w/Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, Truma AquaGo Comfort, Sailun S637, home of Darin & Dana. Where the 377 has been towed since 5/27/16:
Dskyward is offline   Reply With Quote