Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-23-2019, 07:04 PM   #1

silverado 1950

My new 2020 Pinnacle is equipped with a onan generator. I notice that the front compartment door does not have a lock on it. Is this a safety thing just like not being able to lock propane doors or should my unit have come with a lock on door????
silverado 1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:32 PM   #2

Lock'em up

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado 1950 View Post
I notice that the front compartment door does not have a lock on it. Is this a safety thing just like not being able to lock propane doors or should my unit have come with a lock on door????

You certainly can add one. My 2002 FR Cherokee 255M only had a lock on the street side front compartment where the battery lives. I added one to the other side since side doors are lockable This particular model has six doors between the two sides, all had locks except the front curbside. Propane tanks are behind it, and there is a narrow side door that does have a lock that you can access everything from the unlocked front...made no sense, but then it (FR) is a Berkshire Hathaway company.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:46 PM   #3
Site Team

There's no lock on that door because of NFPA 1192, the fire and LP gas safety standard that RVs must adhere to. I also think there's a DOT regulation on that, too. It has to do with being able to immediately access the tank valve(s) and regulator, in case of a fire.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:53 PM   #4

Compliance

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
There's no lock on that door because of NFPA 1192, the fire and LP gas safety standard that RVs must adhere to. I also think there's a DOT regulation on that, too. It has to do with being able to immediately access the tank valve(s) and regulator, in case of a fire.

Mine can burn...it is no longer roadworthy and has been skirted and now lives under a 30' carport. Door is unlocked when occupied, locked to keep sticky fingered neighbors from stealing another set of propane tanks.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:55 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblast523 View Post
Mine can burn...it is no longer roadworthy and has been skirted and now lives under a 30' carport. Door is unlocked when occupied, locked to keep sticky fingered neighbors from stealing another set of propane tanks.
Another? Sounds like you've lost a couple already?

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:11 PM   #6

Disappearing act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Another? Sounds like you've lost a couple already?
Yep, after renting it to the field engineer at Balko Wind Farm project for two years and never having a problem, when they left, within a few days the propane tanks vanished also. $168 later, we're back in bidness, although at the latitude where this rig is located, I have to heat it with electricity. Now using it as site office and it's vacant all but about 5-6 days a month. And paid for...
Old 10-25-2019, 11:47 AM   #7

Looking for clarification not disputing the facts. The pictures shown below are for the generator prep. I do understand some may prefer the gas type gennys over LP.

I don't see where the fuel tank cutout valve is nor is there a fuel (LP) bottle in the front storage compartment? Maybe in the older models and the law will need to be reviewed?

Attached Thumbnails
Generator Designated propane Tank.jpg   Generator Prep Area 1.jpg  

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 04:37 AM   #8

My 2010 Designer came with an Onan 5500 gas installed and all of my outside doors have locks including the generator compartment as well as the propane storage doors.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote