Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-15-2021, 08:47 AM   #1

Six hours in the low 20s tonight - Eagle HT

Gulf Coast, hard freeze tonight. Forecast is clearing and 21 degrees at sunrise, rebounding to the 40s.

My plan is to remove the external water supply hose, turn off the pump and open the low point drain. Then run the furnace all night.

What would you guys do?
Old 02-15-2021, 09:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJay View Post
Gulf Coast, hard freeze tonight. Forecast is clearing and 21 degrees at sunrise, rebounding to the 40s.

My plan is to remove the external water supply hose, turn off the pump and open the low point drain. Then run the furnace all night.

What would you guys do?
That is about what I do. Disconnect hoses. Seal everything up. You can leave a faucet slowly dripping with the pump on.

You could insulate the tubing in the basement behind the water bay. That not only helps, but quiets the pump
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:19 AM   #3

My 28.5HT has a low point drain directly below the inlet selector valve.
Old 02-15-2021, 04:00 PM   #4

Just fill your water tank before your outside hose freezes and then put the hose away. If you run the furnace all night you'll be fine. Turn the pump on when you need water and off when you don't. First part of camping season every year that's all I've ever done and had no problems down to 20 at night. Of course that's assuming you have a heated underbelly, if not then you'd better drain what you can underneath.

P.S. trade ya, high in MO today is 3 and it hasn't been there yet, Zero all day....
bill777x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 04:16 PM   #5

Are you camping in it or is it just sitting in your yard?

If you camping, don't fret. We camp down to those temps all the time and do not have an enclosed underbelly. Not an issue. Have the FW tank full, disconnect the hose, drained, and placed in the cargo hold. Keep the cabinet doors that have plumbing that runs through them ajar, to allow a little extra heat back into those areas. Have your heat on, and enjoy.

If the unit is in your yard, not being used! You can drain the system (water heater too). Ideally blow out the lines with compressed air (lots of it). Once it is drained down the only thing you really need to be concerned about is the P-Traps. I doubt in 6 hours below freezing it would get cold enough to freeze and cause damage. But if possible pour in some RV antifreeze down the P-Traps, and don't worry about the heat.

Another option is to drain everything and turn the heat on. Make sure to leave the cabinet doors ajar. You could go through a lot of propane.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 05:57 PM   #6
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJay View Post
My 28.5HT has a low point drain directly below the inlet selector valve.

I did not read though all of this but if you leave water in the system and have low point drains water will freeze in the low point, wick back up the line to the first T and stop any water movement. The pump will likely come on the first time you use water but since it cannot move water, it will continue to run. If you have heated underbelly you have to keep heat running there or bad things happen in a few hours of below 20 temps. Ask me how I know. 15-20 years of elk hunting in elevations of 8K feet and temps down to 10F or below. It took a couple of years to figure out all of the little ins and outs of not freezing up but we have water running in all areas through the entire hunt (2 weeks) but it take some work.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 11:41 PM   #7

Well, followed the plan and no issues.

Temp went down to 21. This morning we waited to use the water until temps were above 30. Just had a bit of air in the lines from leaving the faucet open and opening the low-point drain.