Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #1

slide awnings on 34 rlts

New 34rlts with awnings over all three slides don't drain rain water when fw is level. They don't stretched tight enough and trap water in the middle. Is this normal for Jayco awnings or are these defective?

thanks
pointrow
pointrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #2

Pointrow, this is normal for most slide toppers that I have seen. I have 2 slides with toppers and every time it rains hard, they buckle in the middle. After it quits raining, I climb up the ladder with a soft brush and remove the water as I don't want the hot sun cooking the water on my slide cover.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:33 AM   #3

I have seen several posts on this forum that indicate that newer topper awnings collect water. Yet our 10 year old Designer 5er, with 3 slide toppers, still stretches tight enough that water never collects there. Awnings are all Colorado Care Free. Don't know if this is a quality issue with newer awnings, or what.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #4

I have an Eagle Premier 321 RLTS with covers on all three slide outs. The cover on the door side collects water, but the two on the other side do not. I don't know why one of them does but the other two don't. After the rain has stopped, I then run the door side slide in a little ways and usually all the water runs off. I have read where others have rigged up some system to put between the slide cover and the roof of the slide out, but, to me, that is more work than it is worth. It's a lot easier to just push a button, run the slide in, and then slide it back out.

djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #5

slide awnings on 34 rlts

Couldn't you put a beach ball in between the slide out and the cover to give it some support. Beach balls are cheap. Just a suggestion.
Robert
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:34 PM   #6

I think one of the problems with the newer units is the slides are taller than they used to be which does not allow for much pitch in the slide awning.
Our slide awnings are almost flat since the slide is almost as tall as the roof of the 5er.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:06 AM   #7
Site Team

All 3 of mine collect water. Looking at mine and others, it seems like the attachment could be an inch or so higher and prevent the problem, I don't know. I have overcome it with a device called "Air Wedge". Google them. I also use small beach balls or gallon milk jugs in a mesh bag on the br slide. I only put them out if I am staying somewhere for a couple of weeks.

The Jayco remedy is to run them in and back out.

If I ever replace the cover, I plan to investigate raising the slot brackets on the trailer wall an inch or so.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote