Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-17-2021, 06:57 AM   #1

Slide Covers

Hello, we just purchased a Jayco Eagle HT 28.5rsts and are looking at options for slide covers. During the walk through the tech said he hated the ones that come on the camper and would recommend a different brand as its easier to install. We have three slides and i want to protect them. Any pro advice? Is this a DIY project or do we need to pay for the install (we are pretty handy).

Thanks in advance for your help!

us2ndogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 07:02 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by us2ndogs View Post
Hello, we just purchased a Jayco Eagle HT 28.5rsts and are looking at options for slide covers. During the walk through the tech said he hated the ones that come on the camper and would recommend a different brand as its easier to install. We have three slides and i want to protect them. Any pro advice? Is this a DIY project or do we need to pay for the install (we are pretty handy).

Thanks in advance for your help!
I personally prefer CAREFREE, a little more money, but they've been in the business for a long time.

They are a DIY project as long as you follow the directions and get an extra set of hands to help.
Old 08-17-2021, 07:04 AM   #3

us2ndogs, IMHO, yes, it can be done as a DIY however; personally, I would not recommend it. I would have a dealership install and have a warranty prior to doing it myself. Again, this is my honest opinion. You know what they say about opinions. Happy Camping, SKIDAWG
2022 RAM 3500 6.7L
Ruger, Rhodesian Ridgebacks
ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
Skidawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 07:21 AM   #4

That’s an odd recommendation. “Let me install toppers that are easier to install than the ones that are installed.” Maybe I’m misunderstanding and he’d have installed different ones.
Anyway, what brand are they and what does he like? I have carefree and they’ve been good for 7 years. I replaced the fabric in one a couple years back and the other two will hopefully get replaced this fall. IMHO it’s doable with two but three makes it a snap. Fabric, definitely a DIY.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 07:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
That’s an odd recommendation. “Let me install toppers that are easier to install than the ones that are installed.” Maybe I’m misunderstanding and he’d have installed different ones.
Anyway, what brand are they and what does he like? I have carefree and they’ve been good for 7 years. I replaced the fabric in one a couple years back and the other two will hopefully get replaced this fall. IMHO it’s doable with two but three makes it a snap. Fabric, definitely a DIY.
Apologies for not being clear, they are not installed they are prepped. I'm not in front of the rig and don't remember what the prep piece looks like. He was recommending Carefree.
Old 08-17-2021, 01:59 PM   #6

I watched a YouTube video on install. I have been thinking about putting them on my eagle319. It came with the prep and that is the difficult part.

You will defiantly need 2 people.
Toolguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 02:46 PM   #7

A friend had them on his Montana when he purchased his 5th wheel. He took them off because wind was a menace. Some brands will lock into place once extended to minimize wind effects. I simply carry a ladder, if i'm camping around trees i just take quick peek and clean any mess prior to closing all pop outs. If i lived around a lot of rain i may consider them.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 02:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
A friend had them on his Montana when he purchased his 5th wheel. He took them off because wind was a menace. Some brands will lock into place once extended to minimize wind effects.
If he had issues they weren't installed correctly and none lock. I've had them on my last 4 rigs with no problems from wind.
Old 08-17-2021, 03:20 PM   #9

Odd man out. Bought Solera by Lippert, self install without any help. No complaints....so far.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 03:25 PM   #10

I have one Carefree on my Hummingbird. Easy install with two people, two ladders and two sets of tools. We both read the instructions twice and took a half hour.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 04:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
If he had issues they weren't installed correctly and none lock. I've had them on my last 4 rigs with no problems from wind.
He took it to his dealer and they told him the brand he had did not have the locking mechanism built in and there wasn't anything they could do other then remove them. I actually wouldn't mind having them on my 5th Wheel but we frequent a lake where afternoon winds are pretty normal. Sounds like you don't have wind issues with yours. Would you mind sharing the brand/style you have experience with. thanks.
Old 08-17-2021, 08:15 PM   #12

I've had Carefree of Colorado slide topper awnings on my last 3 campers and when installed properly they are tight and the wind doesn't affect them much. In fact over the last 20 years I've never heard the flapping noise in the wind that some complain about with the toppers. Also never knew slide toppers "locked", first I've ever heard of this.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 08:18 PM   #13

Quote:
He took it to his dealer and they told him the brand he had did not have the locking mechanism built in and there wasn't anything they could do other then remove them. .
They were blowing smoke, they just didn't want to adjust them properly since that takes some extra work. No such animal as locks on slide toppers.
Old 08-17-2021, 10:10 PM   #14

I think there is a definition barrier here between wind and breeze. Some slide toppers have built in tensioners or quick retention locks like a seat belt mechanism that is suppose to help the topper from flapping in mild wind. Apparently, from what I’m told, folks camping in Nevada, Arizona, California, with toppers experience issues with them flapping and even causing damage in what is considered normal winds in those areas. I did meander to some other forums and chimed in on the subject, Many RV’ers do complain about their toppers Of all brands in moderate winds. I live in Cali so I can relate to what we call wind. And if you’ve camped anywhere in the Sierras north from Lone Pine, you know what wind is. When I was living in Sacramento, people would call a breezy day windy, when I moved to Southern California desert, I now laugh at that thought. It’s down right gets windy here.,,
Old 08-17-2021, 11:12 PM   #15

Just a thought. In 2019, we priced slide toppers at our dealership. About $1600 for 3.
We had them done at the Jayco factory for less than $900.
Old 08-18-2021, 06:26 AM   #16

We had toppers on one of our previous 5vers and they definitely flapped. We never thought to check it out as we thought that was just something we had to live with. It was a 2000 Gulf Stream.

Our Cameo didn't need slide toppers as there was absolutely no top trim so the thought was as it came in the rubber would wipe everything off. It worked 95% of the time - ice on the slide top did not always wipe off.

We ordered them on this unit and have been in heavy winds (definitely more than a "breeze") and haven't had any flapping. Sure that improvements in the toppers over the years helped.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 06:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
Odd man out. Bought Solera by Lippert, self install without any help. No complaints....so far.
We have "prep" for solera (brackets on the slides) but on the walk through the tech said Carefree are "easier to work with, less parts, and even with the prep it would be quicker to remove the solera brackets and do a full carefree install" He offered to come by and put them on at our house (with a buddy). We may go that route but deciding which brand to go with. We have three slides and I worry about keeping them up.
Old 08-18-2021, 08:20 AM   #18
Site Team

The only lock I have ever seen is the spring tension that brings them in when the slide comes in. There is a delicate balance between to loose and to tight. Once adjusted properly they will be tight enough to allow water to roll off and not let most wind flap them. If adjusted to tight they put stress on the strip mounted to the camper and can pull or loosen the brackets.

Ours have always caught water from sagging in the middle but often the water will keep wind from flapping them.

We have been parked in places where the wind was coming from the front or back and they sounded like a banjo playing but not often. We only had to bring them in a couple of times over the 20 or more years we have had fivers.

I would not be without them.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 09:11 AM   #19

We have toppers on all 3 slides. A few years ago my fiberglass flag pole was broken one night by the wind during a thunderstorm, the toppers flapped but weren’t damaged. I replaced one topper a couple of years back and the remaining two I hope to replace this fall as they’re showing some wear. 7 years of service from them and I’m pleased.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 07:07 AM   #20

Quote:
I think there is a definition barrier here between wind and breeze. Some slide toppers have built in tensioners or quick retention locks like a seat belt mechanism that is suppose to help the topper from flapping in mild wind. Apparently, from what I’m told, folks camping in Nevada, Arizona, California, with toppers experience issues with them flapping and even causing damage in what is considered normal winds in those areas. I did meander to some other forums and chimed in on the subject, Many RV’ers do complain about their toppers Of all brands in moderate winds. I live in Cali so I can relate to what we call wind. And if you’ve camped anywhere in the Sierras north from Lone Pine, you know what wind is. When I was living in Sacramento, people would call a breezy day windy, when I moved to Southern California desert, I now laugh at that thought. It’s down right gets windy here.,,
I just carry a couple of inflatable beach balls. Just stuff them between the topper and the slide out, no more flapping. Oh and don’t forget to remove them when you pull the slides in.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote