Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-12-2016, 07:06 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to JeremiahM Send a message via MSN to JeremiahM
Slide module problem

So, was in front compartment today, and noticed all the slide modules were blinking. 1 green flash, 9 red flashes, indicating (hall power short) so a short to ground in the red or black wire to motor. What's got me curious is its all 4 slides showing the exact same error. Any ideas on where to start? Brand new unit, and the dealer we purchased from is not known for being very good.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2016, 07:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Verify ground for starters.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:14 PM   #3

do they work or not
Old 10-12-2016, 08:05 PM   #4

Yes, they all work just fine

Old 10-12-2016, 08:05 PM   #5

However, I have noted, that they don't operate on initial push of the button, but work fine on the second. This goes for all four slides

Old 10-13-2016, 06:56 AM   #6

Since all your controllers are flashing this code you most likely suffered a low or high output voltage issue in your unit and the controllers are bad as a result. One theory out there is running them strictly on the converter with no batteries hooked up can cook them. They are considered sensitive electronics.

There is a hotline for Lippert that you can contact to start the discussion if your confidence in your dealer is low. At least you can go into the shop knowing something to refute what the dealer might give you as a reason. Or better yet you get it fixed without having to go the shop.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:03 AM   #7

My parents' stair lift does something similar.

It operates properly, but the end-of-run shutdown always throws an error code.

So, you may be seeing normal operation. The 'shorted' condition is when the motor binds at the end of the run.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
My parents' stair lift does something similar.

It operates properly, but the end-of-run shutdown always throws an error code.

So, you may be seeing normal operation. The 'shorted' condition is when the motor binds at the end of the run.
I think your on to something, Ibe been playing with it this evening. I decided at one point to just try and press extend, I did, and the motors ran enough to tweak the slide. I went back under, and walla, they stopped blinking. So everyone keep this in mind. This blinking killed the single 12 volt battery that came with unit in just 3 weeks, we do a lot of dry camping and this is why I was concerned. I just installed four 6 volt batteries, and am going that route

Old 10-13-2016, 06:09 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremiahM View Post
...snip... This blinking killed the single 12 volt battery that came with unit in just 3 weeks, we do a lot of dry camping and this is why I was concerned. I just installed four 6 volt batteries, and am going that route

There are a number of parasitic loads that will kill the battery if not on shore power unless the battery is disconnected.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:37 PM   #10

^I, 2, would be surprised if your battery worked after three weeks of sitting, let alone some use during that time.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:14 PM   #11

Well, I thought It was disconnected, but Jayco's battery disconnect in the compartment apparently is of sub part quality. So I installed a much better disconnect I used on my last camper in the battery compartment

Old 10-14-2016, 07:17 AM   #12

Turning the OE disconnect switch to "0" didn't disconnect the 12v feed from the battery? Was it wired properly?

Can't see how a switch that is supposed to disconnect the batteries failed to do so.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
Turning the OE disconnect switch to "0" didn't disconnect the 12v feed from the battery? Was it wired properly?

Can't see how a switch that is supposed to disconnect the batteries failed to do so.
The CO/Propane detector, the breakaway switch and other 'critical' items are connected between the switch and the battery.

And proud of it!
Old 10-14-2016, 09:02 AM   #14

Quote:
The CO/Propane detector, the breakaway switch and other 'critical' items are connected between the switch and the battery.
Yes, I know those stay powered, didn't see how a main disconnect switch could be defective though and keep the rest of the equipment powered when it's off.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
Yes, I know those stay powered, didn't see how a main disconnect switch could be defective though and keep the rest of the equipment powered when it's off.
It's not defective.

It is wired to be compliant with legal requirements. The CO detector is a life-saving device, the manufacturer can not with good conscience allow that to be accidentally turned off. Same with the breakaway switch -- a safety device.

The critical circuits are simply connected ahead of the OEM mislabeled "battery cutoff".

If you want, get behind the switch (remove or find the access panel) and move the safety systems wiring to the other side of the switch. Your RV will no longer be compliant, but it will be your problem, not Jayco's.

And proud of it!
Old 10-14-2016, 09:45 AM   #16

Quote:
It's not defective.

It is wired to be compliant with legal requirements. The CO detector is a life-saving device, the manufacturer can not with good conscience allow that to be accidentally turned off. Same with the breakaway switch -- a safety device.

The critical circuits are simply connected ahead of the OEM mislabeled "battery cutoff".

If you want, get behind the switch (remove or find the access panel) and move the safety systems wiring to the other side of the switch. Your RV will no longer be compliant, but it will be your problem, not Jayco's.
Yeah... I get that.

My initial comment was related to the post that said "Well, I thought It was disconnected, but Jayco's battery disconnect in the compartment apparently is of sub part quality. So I installed a much better disconnect I used on my last camper in the battery compartment"

My CO & breakaway are wired into connections prior to the disconnect switch. I have no issue with my wiring, when I moved the switch I kept it in the same place withing the circuitry.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:03 PM   #17

I didn't spend time trying to find where it goes and comes from. All I know is when I turn it off, lights and things inside the camper still work. I installed my own and it's total disconnect