Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2016, 12:47 PM   #1

Slide out gasket

Whenever the slide is moved out on my 1999 Designer 2930, it yanks the gasket off along the whole top edge. The metal teeth are all rusted inside the gasket channel and it covers the slideout top with rust when the gasket pulls off.
I'm thinking it's time for a replacement. Is this a universal or very common type gasket carried in bulk somewhere or is it model specific? Any good online sources?
Once the new one is located and installed, I found some threads saying to treat it with 303 to keep it slick & pliable. I just happen to have a gallon of that laying around. Here are a couple that I found with a quick search:
http://www.factoryrvsurplus.com/prod...roduct_id=2200
http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-feet-RV-S...-/172142094377
As a side note, the rails were kinda rusty. I figured they should be lubed so I painted them up with Fluid Film. Any harm in that?
Inspector 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:10 PM   #2

I just received the 30' ebay roll today for my 2003 eagle. The profile appears to be very close to the original seal. The wiper is 0.25" longer than the original and the material is not as thick as the original but I think it will work fine.
IA Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:24 PM   #3

Slide out gasket replacement can be a real chore for the average DIYer. From removing the old gasket, to getting the new gasket in place properly, to cutting the corners correctly for overlap to prevent leakage.
With the slide out extended about a foot, I used large and small screwdriver handles to push the new gasket in place, applied a tube a silicon to seal around the gasket mounted edge, and any gaps in the corners above the gasket.
It takes time and results in sore fingers and hands. The toughest area was at the top about the middle of the slide out, for reach.

P.S. Perhaps a few small screws or adhesive and a new coat of silicon along the top edge is all that's needed for a few more years.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 11:13 AM   #4

I ordered today from Lazydays RV. $95 for 28 feet. Free shipping. So here's the next question: The current gasket is just kind of shoved into the corners. Doesn't make for a very good fit trying to push a straight gasket into a right angle corner. The gasket sorta rounds a curve and leaves a gap into the point of the angle. Should the gasket be cut at 45 degree angles for a miter like fit?
Old 08-20-2016, 12:09 PM   #5

I wouldn't cut the whole gasket just the flap so that the top overlaps the sides. Use silicon to fill the void in the corner.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarkl View Post
I wouldn't cut the whole gasket just the flap so that the top overlaps the sides. Use silicon to fill the void in the corner.
Got it. I'm a seamless gutter contractor. Got something better than silicon for a sealant.