Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2021, 11:20 AM   #1

Slide out help - trying to clear a campsite

Please disregard and delete this thread. - I figured it out.

Trying to get out of our campsite and are in an odd situation. Everything looked good, we were getting ready to go and I thought I’d change out of my sweaty shirt for the drive. Went into the 5th wheel and tried to extend the slide to get to the closet and nothing happened. We were just on truck / battery power, but still should have worked. Plugged back into shore power - nothing. I wiggled into the kitchen and tried to exchange the 20amp fuse to the slide control module - still nothing.

Any urgent ideas? I am willing to share a phone number if someone would rather talk through it, just shoot me a PM.

Thanks!
Ranger431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 11:24 AM   #2

If it helps, it appears the landing gear and stabilizers are out too. Maybe it happened when I shut the breaker off to unhook shore power?
Old 06-20-2021, 11:30 AM   #3

Ok, now the landing gear is fixed. Must have bumper the key loose on the battery disconnect. Still nothing on the slides yet.
Old 06-21-2021, 06:29 AM   #4

Can you post what the issue was so others can benefit from your experience in case it happens to them?
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 10:54 AM   #5

Yes... No need to delete the thread. We want to learn.
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 03:51 AM   #6

So, I unplugged the shore power after the trailer was all hooked up and all landing gear retracted. I put the power cord back in the cargo hold. In that area I keep the cord on (driver side storage area), on the far right as you are looking at the opening. Apparently I bumped a tote, which pushed on the rolled up outdoor carpet, and hit another tote with the sewage hook up stuff) and hit the battery disconnected key, and flipped it off. During trouble shooting, as stupid as it sounds now, I never thought to check that key as I never touched it or was even near it (or so I thought).

Right before I left I noticed the passenger side slide wasn’t retracted quite all the way (about 3/4” left out, and went to put it in - nothing. For some reason my mind went to a fuse, as there was (what seemed to be) a little louder than usual “pop” when I shut the breaker (on the shore power pedestal) off before unplugging.

For some mystery of design engineering Jayco puts the fuse panel facing rewards between slides 3&4 in the kitchen, so there is no access to it if you are bigger than a 12 year old girl (that will be important shortly). My recommendation to Jayco would be to rotate the placement of that panel 90 degrees and have it visible / accessible as soon as you open the door into the rig. Well my daughter was able to fit back there and helped place my hand on the correct fuse and take a picture of the schematic. I switched the 20a fuse to the slide control with the one next to it to see if that was the problem - it wasn’t. But upon helping me return the fuses she miscounted the empty slots and instead of one akipped slot we had two. This was absolutely my fault - she had never done this, but I was working completely blind. (Yes, the unit was unplugged and the batteries were disconnected). Anyway, I later found the disconnect switch was turned, fixed that, and the stabilizers now worked. Now the issue was restricted just to the slides, and I used my phone to take a video of the fuses around the corner and between the slides and noted the “extra” empty slot (which should have had a fuse) was to the slide control module. After I pulled the breaker from the dead slot it was in and out it in the right one, and had a little chuckle at my own folly, everything was back to normal.

Kind of embarrassing and dumb, but hopefully someone can learn from it. I failed to follow one of the key rules of electric trouble shooting - follow the slow of power and assume nothing
Old 06-24-2021, 07:42 AM   #7

Thanks for the follow up. You did good. And you are fixed up.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote