Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-01-2015, 08:48 AM   #11
Site Team

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-i...ade-chart.aspx

Grade 8 bolts are hardened. That is what was there and they were sheared. I don't thing the bolt failed on mine because they both looked like they were not fully tight. Hard to say.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hausknwa View Post
. If it ever quits raining (3 inches last night), I will let you know how I make out. According to the weather report it may be Friday before I can get to it.
Oh this rain,I'm at my wife's summer place on the St Lawrence River and I have not been able to take her boat out to do some fishing. If not rain it's the wind and waves.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:40 AM   #13

Norty,
Wow, I remember that post! I see I even commented on it. Gettin old is a be-atch.
Our slides have a "hatch" cut in the belly for easier access to the motor.
Note that a slide's motor is on the side OPPOSITE the slide.

While on this topic: is there a hole in the frame on your 351 allowing a ratchet to reach the nut on the motor to manually extend/retract the slide? Ours does not. I have to drop the above mentioned hatch and use a box end wrench. Have thought about making a hole for access, but...

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:40 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Norty,
Wow, I remember that post! I see I even commented on it. Gettin old is a be-atch.
Our slides have a "hatch" cut in the belly for easier access to the motor.
Note that a slide's motor is on the side OPPOSITE the slide.

While on this topic: is there a hole in the frame on your 351 allowing a ratchet to reach the nut on the motor to manually extend/retract the slide? Ours does not. I have to drop the above mentioned hatch and use a box end wrench. Have thought about making a hole for access, but...
Some rigs may be like that but on the 351, the slide motor is in the middle of the slide, on the same side. my rig has a large access hole but I removed enough screws to pull the bottom down enough to allow me to sit on my butt and work on it with a drop light. You may be able to get to the hand crank thru the hole in a pinch.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I have had the exact same problem on my rig on each rear slide. It's an easy fix. You have a broken bolt right where the slide motor connects to the drive mechanism, underneath the slide. It is a 1/4 20 1 1/4 in. long with a nylon lock nit. It is a case hardened bolt. Get a couple spares. While you have it apart, look at the bolt on the other side of the motor and make sure it is tight.

Drop the bottom by removing enough of the self tapping screws to pull it down and see the motor. Look closely at the motor and replace the broken bolt. It is a grade 8 bolt. There is much discussion whether it should be a hardened bolt, but that is what was there and I replaced it with the same type.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...m-21572-2.html
I agree with noty1 on this as had this very thing happen to me in May when I tried to retrieve my slide while leaving a Dawson Creek, BC, campground. Off to the hardware store to get a replacement bolt. Fix took me about 30 minutes total once I had the bolt.

Good luck!!

'06 2500 Silverado 4X4, Duramax LBZ Diesel, Firestone air bags
'08 Tracker Pro Guide V-16 Boat
'12 Pinnacle 31RLTS
taviking22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:56 PM   #16

Thanks Guys. Looks like it has quit raining & I have tomorrow afternoon off to fix this sucker. You guys made it simple. I will let you know how I make out. Took the DW out for a big birthday dinner tonight and if I fix the camper tomorrow, I will be good as gold for several days.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:15 PM   #17

Ok, Slide out fixed. It was just as Norty 1 said, sheared bolt. Interesting that all of the other bolts (shear bolts on the shaft) are #8 hardened bolts. The one that failed was a standard grade bolt. I replaced it with a #8 to match the other originals. It took maybe 30 minutes tops.

I had already made an appointment with my dealer to have them fix it next week. I just called them and cancelled the appointment. The help that I received from this forum saved me two 70 mile round trips. One to leave it at the dealer and one to pick it up. Not to mention the cost of the repair and loss of use of the camper. Thanks Guys!!! I am a happy camper.