Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #1

Slide out topper blues!!! HELP

Just bought a 2010 Designer 35RLTS, love it so far. Fit and finish is very impressive and seems to be very well built. I have one problem, slide out toppers! Being my first 5er with toppers, I was very excited to have them. They add a certain class to the RV that I liked. The likes ended there, they hold water with even the slightest rain and you don't find out till you close the slide outs. By that time water is all over the slide out and the topper rolls up with creases from the stretching Can someone give me few tips or maybe some products that make them a little easier to deal with. Maybe something to keep the water from collecting during heavier rains. Also, is this normal for slide toppers ? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Smith772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:09 PM   #2

I just get a long brush and hold one end down with the brush until most of the water has drain off, then I stand on the thidr step and push the brush bteween the topper and slide out. u I go outside after every rain and drain all 3 slides. i know it a pain but that the only way that i can keep the water off.

2012 Dodge 3500
US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population
rthibodaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #3

Yup...that's pretty much what you have to do.

We tend to camp out here in the West where we don't have to worry about much rain.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:35 PM   #4

I was afraid you were going to say that. Guess I will need to buy a long broom. What are the advantages to having slide toppers anyway?
Old 02-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #5

I don't sweat it. Just leave water up there. When leave, slide slide in, water drains. Recycle the slide and topper corrects itself.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith772 View Post
I was afraid you were going to say that. Guess I will need to buy a long broom. What are the advantages to having slide toppers anyway?
Toppers help prevent leaks, in hot sunshine they provide cooling and under trees they keep the debris away that you do not have to clear away before sliding in the slide. If you leave the debris up there, over time your rubber seal will be damamged and it will leak.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcconawa View Post
Toppers help prevent leaks, in hot sunshine they provide cooling and under trees they keep the debris away that you do not have to clear away before sliding in the slide. If you leave the debris up there, over time your rubber seal will be damamged and it will leak.
We ordered our Pinnacle with the slide awnings just for the reasons you mentioned.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcconawa View Post
Same reason we got them too.

Yes they are a PITA, but the pluses out weight the minuses
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:25 AM   #9

Ours seem to drain automatically. The weight of the water makes them sag and drain off the sides. As the water drains, we can hear the roller mechanism creep back up and tighten. Have not timed this process, but, it usually is finished within a day.

Another trick is to place a small beach ball under the awning to make a tent like structure. My neighbor constructed a PVC device that he slides beneath each topper; it has the same affect as the beach ball.
Shin Pond Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #10

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Pond Hunter View Post
Ours seem to drain automatically. The weight of the water makes them sag and drain off the sides. As the water drains, we can hear the roller mechanism creep back up and tighten. Have not timed this process, but, it usually is finished within a day.

Another trick is to place a small beach ball under the awning to make a tent like structure. My neighbor constructed a PVC device that he slides beneath each topper; it has the same affect as the beach ball.
I will have to try the PVC contraption. Sounds like a good solution, for some reason mine won't drain on its own. Thank you everyone for the responses, sure is a big help. Now that I know the toppers are serving a good purpose, keeping them dry wont feel like as much a PITA as it did before. Just felt like a whole lot of work for nothing. Thanks again.