Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-04-2016, 12:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Robkelly, what was the problem with your slide?
This all started with DW noticing that the bottom corner of the slide hadn't sealed properly when I closed it.

It was binding on one side, but I couldn't figure out where it was binding. At one point it did close, but thinking it was the motors out of sync, I reopened to go through the resync process and it wouldn't budge from there. There were no codes on the control box either.

Once I pulled the motors I still couldn't get the slide to move until I released the leveling jacks - rig was level when I opened the slides. I initially thought maybe it had settled and that's what caused the binding, but that wouldn't account for the bottom corner that DW initially noticed not being sealed properly.

Rig is at the dealer now and I'll post an update once we know what the problem is/was.

robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelly View Post
This all started with DW noticing that the bottom corner of the slide hadn't sealed properly when I closed it.

It was binding on one side, but I couldn't figure out where it was binding. At one point it did close, but thinking it was the motors out of sync, I reopened to go through the resync process and it wouldn't budge from there. There were no codes on the control box either.

Once I pulled the motors I still couldn't get the slide to move until I released the leveling jacks - rig was level when I opened the slides. I initially thought maybe it had settled and that's what caused the binding, but that wouldn't account for the bottom corner that DW initially noticed not being sealed properly.

Rig is at the dealer now and I'll post an update once we know what the problem is/was.
That takes me back to a thread last year about whether the trailer should be levelled first or not.
It seems when the factory installs the slide the trailer is level, but the frame is at rest on top of its axels.
If the trailer is sitting in its natural state on top of the axels then shouldn't the slides be binding free, whether being level or not?

Once you level (with auto level I mean) the frame would have to stress and twist to some degree because the weight is coming off the axels.
That's not how the slides were installed at the factory.

I still wonder which is better.

klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 02:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
That takes me back to a thread last year about whether the trailer should be levelled first or not.
It seems when the factory installs the slide the trailer is level, but the frame is at rest on top of its axels.
If the trailer is sitting in its natural state on top of the axels then shouldn't the slides be binding free, whether being level or not?

Once you level (with auto level I mean) the frame would have to stress and twist to some degree because the weight is coming off the axels.
That's not how the slides were installed at the factory.

I still wonder which is better.
It's got me thinking about it too as I agree with you. Granted the slides have only been opened/closed a half-dozen times so far (we got the rig in November) but each time it's been with the unit auto-leveled. The Owners Manual says to level before deploying the slides, but it's not specific about whether that means using the auto-level or not - my guess is no, as the manual is generic to Eagle, and not all have the auto-level system.

One of my discussion points with the dealer when we go to pick the rig up. I must admit, I am VERY happy with quality of service from them too. They did everything they could to get us up and running without having to undo the motors and bring the rig up to them
Old 04-04-2016, 04:41 PM   #14

Quote:

Ours is at the dealership to for a bunk room slide failure. The motor on one side completely died (was not fun to get in!) I was told that the motor is seized up and a new one has been ordered. I feel your pain!

I did same as you...leveled the unit 1st, then put slides out for our trip with no issues. Then when I went to put this slide in, the motor (closest to rear of trailer for this particular slide) had no juice!
'16 Ram 3500 MC CTD Dually, 4:10 rear
'14 Ram 2500 MC CTD (gone)
'14 287BHBE (gone)
'16 North Point 377RLBH (current and hopefully last)
Bookemdanno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:24 AM   #15

Ya the level question has been brought up numerous times. As one person noted every Rv on every dealer lot for display has open slides and non r leveled.
On my last TT I used to of those adjustable poles that u use in pick up truck beds to hold stuff from moving. Cut both down in size till the fit my one slide as locks. I always used them but also added a flag so I would not forget to remove. On my TT the Lippert slide that is under the floor driven when fully closed u could rock it just slightly.
Rock
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:55 PM   #16

Update

Got our rig back today and it turns out there was nothing really wrong - the problem was unknowingly self inflicted.

We have the Ground Control auto-level system and our understanding was that we were to auto-level before extending the slides. Apparently though when you auto-level there is just enough flex in the unit to cause the slides to bind when closing - what our problem was.

Dealer ended up talking to Jayco while trouble shooting our rig and their recommendation is to extend slides and then auto-level. Reverse the process to close the slides.

Learn something new every day, and glad there was nothing seriously wrong.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Got our rig back today and it turns out there was nothing really wrong - the problem was unknowingly self inflicted.

We have the Ground Control auto-level system and our understanding was that we were to auto-level before extending the slides. Apparently though when you auto-level there is just enough flex in the unit to cause the slides to bind when closing - what our problem was.

Dealer ended up talking to Jayco while trouble shooting our rig and their recommendation is to extend slides and then auto-level. Reverse the process to close the slides.

Learn something new every day, and glad there was nothing seriously wrong.
Interesting concept...goes against everything I've ever been told. Ours is still at the dealership for our bunkhouse slide.
'16 Ram 3500 MC CTD Dually, 4:10 rear
'14 Ram 2500 MC CTD (gone)
'14 287BHBE (gone)
'16 North Point 377RLBH (current and hopefully last)
Bookemdanno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:45 PM   #18

I'm pretty sure in that thread I mentioned above about whether to level or slide first, someone had talk to Jayco and they said to always level first.
That's why I went back to levelling first again.
It only makes sense to level first if you're levelling by blocking the tires.
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:51 PM   #19

agreed classic I level using blocks under wheels then tongue jack for front to rear and if I need a little tweak side to side I use 2 frame jacks I installed right in front of axles and then deploy slides. I would think if the trailer was unlevel by much side to side it would put strain on the slide motor and front to rear could cause slide to bind. Havent had any problems so far with the three slides no mine although the bedroom slide is single rail and gets a little jiggy on its way out or in
Old 04-09-2016, 05:52 PM   #20
jtw

I would think you would still have the same flex when unit isn't level.

What do you guys recommend if any to lube the worm drive slides