Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-29-2021, 06:20 PM   #1

Slide topper fabric

Had a bad storm about a month ago. I did not get the slides in quick enough so one got ripped. It got tangled up and slide would not work so I had to cut it off.
2017 North Point 315RLTS dining room slide. It is a Carefree of Colorado and I do not know the model.
I have a Tough Top on the way. When I cut it off I let it unwind slow but did not think to count the number of turns. Looking for some help on how to do this. If anyone knows of a good video of this one please post it. Any advice on this is appreciated.

It blew down the big tree behind the trailer. I have to say it was the hardest blow I have been in while in a trailer.

Before and after
Attached Thumbnails
20200522_091601.jpg   Resized_20210424_065635.jpeg  
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 06:43 PM   #2

Under the OMEGA since it depends on how far the slide comes out. Before you get the fabric wind the springs and use a cotter key or nail to lock the tube (there is a hole on one end that lines up) before you remove it. Once you get the fabric then just wrap it around the tube before you reinstall everything.

To me that would be the easiest.

Hope I'm making sense...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CAREFREE SPRING CHART.pdf (31.0 KB, 12 views)
Old 06-29-2021, 09:46 PM   #3

Location: Full timing in the 377, but Llano, Texas is now home
Sorry to hear about your slide awning damage. Our same year 377RLBH toppers got damaged by a ferocious hail storm in Llano TX, last Apr 12. And 2 mos prior, we (DW and I) removed all four slide toppers to have them double-restitched after five years fulltiming. They are same as yours, Carefree of CO and all the stitching had decayed to the point of the seam letting go on the 13’ kitchen slide. As the remove/reinstall repair took almost a week, I decided not to keep all the roller springs locked at a tighter tension for days as each roller had 48” of fabric wound. So I and the DW loosened all the rollers 10 turns(it was arbitrary-and I only felt a small difference in lesser torque still at that point) before I locked it down for several more days until the fabric was repaired. I’m guessing if the roller is about 3” dia, x 3.14 pi = 9.4” circumference, or about 5 turns to wind 48” around them. So, obviously I let out 5 more turns too many. Then two months later, the hailstorm struck with 1.75” hail and made Swiss cheese out of the kitchen and dinette toppers. Amazingly, the master and bunk house slide toppers were spared.

So again, the DW and I removed the old toppers and put on two new Sun Pro 18oz ultra 10 year replacement fabric($359) and are very satisfied with their quality. They are glued with no seams to disintegrate. I’m sorry I couldn’t tell you how many turns to zero tension, but can only guess you should have at least 10-15 turns in front of the 5 to wind the 48” fabric for 20 max total. But do a dry practice tension wind first and always have an extra set of hands and extra screws (3/16” dia I think) when unwinding and rewinding the roller. If you can’t find out from the mfgr, climb a ladder on another rig similar topper to get a feel of the tension and 9.5” of fabric or so per turn to get near even tension for varying width slides. Good luck. Let us know how many roller turns it needed before installing the fabric.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie MC 4x2 DRW 6.7CTD, B&W Companion Slider 3405, Edge Evolution CS (deleted DPF/DOC-special tune), TireMinder TM-77, Firestone air springs, CustomFlow tailgate, Tonnosport tonneau cover, Champion 3100w genset
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH w/Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, Truma AquaGo Comfort, Sailun S637, home of Darin & Dana. Where the 377 has been towed since 5/27/16:
Dskyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 02:20 PM   #4

Got the fabric on this weekend. It really is pretty easy. Did the 18 turns as per chart (Thanks Grumpy). Put a small bolt in the hole on the right to hold the spring. Removed left bracket (be very careful so it doesn't fall) and put fabric in place and let it roll up slowly. Two people makes it go pretty well.

[IMG][/IMG]
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
under the omega since it depends on how far the slide comes out. Before you get the fabric wind the springs and use a cotter key or nail to lock the tube (there is a hole on one end that lines up) before you remove it. Once you get the fabric then just wrap it around the tube before you reinstall everything.

To me that would be the easiest.

Hope i'm making sense...
Is it possible to increase the tension on just one end of my carefree slide awning? The front end is tight but the back end flaps in the wind. Thanks.
I've emailed Carefree twice but got no response.
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote