Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-23-2015, 03:48 PM   #1

Slide Won't fully Extend

I really do love my Eagle 323 LKTS. But we are so tired of the continuing problems. From the slopping floor near the door, to the auto leveling system having to be adjusted 3 times since we purchased it in March, 2015, to the bedroom slide that has pulled the power cord and disconnected the motor, leaving us stranded on 2 occasions, now we have ANOTHER slide issue.

The dining room and 2 recliner slide continues to get out of alignment. The bottom of the slide frame closest to the door will not sit flush against the wall. This leaves the floor unlevel next to the dinning table, and the table itself left leaning towards the wall. It has been "fixed" 4 times by the dealer. For most of those times, it worked properly for a few trips, then started it again. This last time, I took it home from the dealer, and it was like the picture below shows at that first opening. The dealer says he is out of ideas. I have sent an email to Jayco service, and am waiting a reply. anyone have any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
20151223_152133.jpg  
Old 12-23-2015, 04:07 PM   #2

Why isn't the dealer contacting JAYCO? Sounds like they aren't doing the proper fix IMHO.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 04:23 PM   #3
Site Team

Agree, that is the dealers responsibility. If they are not doing it you are sadly having to.
Nothing wrong with having a problem that can't be resolved locally but they should be riding point on it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 05:56 PM   #4

I just want it resolved. In the picture, you can see the crease in the carpet the raised floor is causing because the slide won't go out all the way. I'm concerned that the carpet will also have to be replaced to get rid of the crease.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:11 PM   #5

Have you tried putting the slide out before you level? I know it's contrary to what the book says, but apparently some slides function better that way. ???
Old 12-23-2015, 08:32 PM   #6

I will give that a shot
Old 12-23-2015, 09:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Have you tried putting the slide out before you level? I know it's contrary to what the book says, but apparently some slides function better that way. ???
I have always leveled and then opened and have never had an issue. Once the unit is level and stabilized - open.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:15 PM   #8

Let us know what dealer you are working with so I can make sure I don't go there. Really, he says he's out of ideas. I'm not sure why he thinks he has to solve the problem. Jayco has representatives that the dealers work with to resolve issues. IMO someone is not doing their job. Ask your dealer to get Jayco involved. Even if it needs to go back to the factory.
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:11 PM   #9

Is that the typical LCI twin rail electric with the drive shaft? I've adjusted both electric and hydraulic LCI slides and hadn't had any trouble. I'll take a look tomorrow at something. If what you're experiencing is consistent now, should be a simple fix. I've had dealers be "out of ideas". It's one of the reason I learned all this junk.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 05:23 AM   #10

BigJohn, yes it is the electric LCI slide. The other two are the schwintek slides, this one is LCI. According to the dealer, he can see where the slide is "moving" and getting out of alignment. He torqued it down this time, and it still was out of alignment by the time I drove the 90 miles back home yesterday. I have told both him and Jayco I am of the opinion that something is not right with this particular slide, and the whole mechanics needs to be replaced. I don't know if you can have a lemon slide or not, but I think I have one.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:43 AM   #11

Ok. I'm going to look at one again since I hadn't in a while. Only so much that can go wrong. First is always the bolt adjustments at the end of the rails where it's secured to the box, other stuff is gear pack / bearing that the rails ride on, drive shaft between the rails, then it can get deep. I seriously doubt it's the issue since it hasn't always been like this, but I have seen the slide out cut out be out of square, or out of shape and cause binding and issues. This is odd being they use jigs for the sidewall framing but that *** manf is well capable of achieving this screw up, and has a few times. I've had one slide be out of adjustment vertically causing issues with top seals. One "out of ideas" dealer had some off the wall bs fix, took another place less than 5 min with a few tweaks. Pretty much how I learned.

Any way to get a second opinion from another dealer, OR my preference is an independent that only works in them and is only interested in helping and fixing opposed to selling. Out of ideas is not an option to me. If it's gradually getting out of adjustment over time then it should be an easy fix.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:01 AM   #12

I'm no engineer, and can barely tell the difference between a screwdriver and a wrench. But I have a theory as to why this continues to repeat as a problem. As I detailed in an earlier post, the floor at the door slopes outward. Both the dealer and Jayco say it is the result of the door frame, when put in during the build, being too tall for the opening. And instead of cutting the frame down to fit, they forced the frame into the opening, pushing downward on the floor. This leaves the floor unlevel as you walk out of the RV. This is also right next to the side of the slide that continues to not retract fully and leaves the gap on the wall, right next to where the door is. I have to think the two issues are related. Anyone else have a thought about that?
Old 12-24-2015, 09:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalEagle View Post
Both the dealer and Jayco say it is the result of the door frame, when put in during the build, being too tall for the opening. And instead of cutting the frame down to fit, they forced the frame into the opening, pushing downward on the floor. This leaves the floor unlevel as you walk out of the RV.
That would seem to me, about right (according to your picture) and if so, there would be no slide adjustment that would work IMO. If Jayco and the dealer have recognized this flaw, have they come up with a solution?

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:49 AM   #14

Sounds like out of adjustment I didn't want to lead you astray last night so I went and looked at mine today. One end of the slide has a turn buckle adjustment and the other slotted cuts for the bolts Look under the slide, which end is not closing? On the slotted end loosen the upper bolts (5/8?) and pull the slide out till sealed inside. Tighten the bolts and the slide should work, same on the other end but loosen the turn buckle and adjust as needed - I think you will need to lengthen it as its not opening fully inside to seal. Like BigJohnD said it's pretty simple. There is also a height adjustment, a bolt faces down that will lift or lower the slide as needed after loosening the two bolts on the vertical slots. You will need some basic tools and you might be able to fix it yourself
Old 12-24-2015, 09:24 PM   #15

Really only a few things that can cause that slide to do that, normally. I'll take a few pictures tomorrow. There is the threaded rod on one end for the in / out adjustment (Forward on ours). Also has the threaded can stop for the in adjustment, or the stopping point. Then, for more fine tuning there are the 2 bolts at the end of the rails. That's it. Doesn't sound like you have a tilt or vertical problem, or one side higher that the other, but that would involve the jack bolts on the end of each rail with the 2 nuts / bolts to secure the adjustment plate. Man, I wish I was a shade closer. I'd be there and try to get you fixed up. If you're not mechanically inclined, I really hope you can find an independent service shop opposed to a dealer. Jayco should honor that as a warranty repair, especially since the almighty dealer seems to be throwing in the towel. I'll get out in the shop tomorrow, take a few pictures, mark some things up, and see if maybe it can help. Edd and I are trying to explain the same thing, but it's like back seat driving to me. Hard to put in words I guess. Once you've done it, that light bulb kicks on.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:41 PM   #16

Ok, couldn't stand it. Ran over to the shop and snapped a few photos and jotted down some stuff in the photos. I know you've seen it on yours, and hoping this helps instead of confuses. Though pretty simple, it's hard to put into words on what to do. If yours is like mine, then your front side sounds like it's good to go (Floor flush when out, seals snug on t-molding when in). If so, run the slide partially out, loosen the aft 2 bolts (second picture on rail) and adjust out a little, then retighten. Try running all the way out, then back in. It takes a few times, but you don't want to make any huge adjustments at one time. Slide motors can be stronger than you think. It takes time, but you will become a professional at this in no time.

Oh, Merry Christmas to all. I'm still waiting on the kids to give it up for the evening.
Attached Thumbnails
1a.jpg   2a.jpg  
Old 12-25-2015, 08:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Ok, couldn't stand it. Ran over to the shop and snapped a few photos and jotted down some stuff in the photos. I know you've seen it on yours, and hoping this helps instead of confuses. Though pretty simple, it's hard to put into words on what to do. If yours is like mine, then your front side sounds like it's good to go (Floor flush when out, seals snug on t-molding when in). If so, run the slide partially out, loosen the aft 2 bolts (second picture on rail) and adjust out a little, then retighten. Try running all the way out, then back in. It takes a few times, but you don't want to make any huge adjustments at one time. Slide motors can be stronger than you think. It takes time, but you will become a professional at this in no time.

Oh, Merry Christmas to all. I'm still waiting on the kids to give it up for the evening.
Merry Christmas to you and yours as well John. You sir are a WEALTH of helpful information. I just bookmarked this page for future reference. Keep it coming John and when your done with the oil thing, you will be a busy, and successful man in the RV world, if that's what you choose to do.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 02:29 PM   #18

Nice job BigJonhD you put it to pictures. If I was closer I would try to get it done I carry everything I'd need. Merry Christmas all!
Old 01-01-2016, 10:00 PM   #19

LegalEagle, were you ever able to look into the slide adjustment any more?
Old 01-03-2016, 07:26 AM   #20

Thank you, yes I did. I was warned, however, if I attempted any repairs on my own it would void my remaining 15 months on my warranty. So after trading 6 emails with Jayco Service, they finally did as I requested and contacted my dealer to discuss the problem. They claim to now have a plan to fix the slide. They want to check the ram, the part that moves it in and out, to see if it is missing any teeth, and also check on the motor. I will have to take it back to my dealer (180 mile round trip) to see if this resolves the issue. I will say again, my dealer has been upfront all along about not knowing why this continues to occur. But Jayco Service simply kept telling me to take it back to them, without first calling the dealer to try and troubleshoot the problem. I had to respond twice to Jayco Service telling them they were not actually reading my emails, just responding to go back to the dealer like that is the auto response. I told Jayco I was not taking it back to the dealer for the 7th time until someone had talked to the dealer about what else could be wrong. It may have been like pulling teeth, but they finally did so and I will be returning it sometime in the next week. Thanks for all your help. I'll keep you posted.