Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2019, 08:48 AM   #1

slideout/battery problem

I am starting to have problems with my main slide coming in. Going out is not a problem. Found some corrosion on the battery terminals and cleaned them on and put a protective coat on. Also lubed the slides but still hear a groaning/squeaking that I cannot get to stop. I have a monitor on the 12 volt system that indicates, red, yellow, and green status. I noticed I was getting some red status indication when I put the slide in and it would stop a couple times. It worked ok yesterday after the cleaning and lubing but still was making the noise. My battery was indicating 12.6 volts under load. My question is about the battery status. It is reading about 13.7 with no load and about 12. 6 under load. This is also plugged in to shore power. I was hoping Mustang Don or some of you electrical gurus could chime in here and tell me what you think about my batteries. they are two 12 volt interstate batteries in parallel. I am going out today and check the water. Have not done that in a couple months.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:42 AM   #2

Try running the slide in and out on shore power. See if noise or problem still exists.
Good luck.
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:58 PM   #3

Problem still existed. Checked specific gravity of cells and found a dead cell in one battery. I have two 12 batteries in parallel. Went to buy a set of Trojan 12 batteries and no way they would fit in the plastic tray. So, I checked around and NAPA had Marine RV batteries on sale for $99. I thought that was a good price so I picked up a couple. Already installed and ran the slide out a few times and no problems stopping. Still have some squeaking after lubing so will keep working on that. Thanks for your response.

Joe Hinson
Old 03-27-2019, 04:01 PM   #4

Good glad that worked out for you. Always something right?
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 04:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
I am starting to have problems with my main slide coming in. Going out is not a problem. Found some corrosion on the battery terminals and cleaned them on and put a protective coat on. Also lubed the slides but still hear a groaning/squeaking that I cannot get to stop. I have a monitor on the 12 volt system that indicates, red, yellow, and green status. I noticed I was getting some red status indication when I put the slide in and it would stop a couple times. It worked ok yesterday after the cleaning and lubing but still was making the noise. My battery was indicating 12.6 volts under load. My question is about the battery status. It is reading about 13.7 with no load and about 12. 6 under load. This is also plugged in to shore power. I was hoping Mustang Don or some of you electrical gurus could chime in here and tell me what you think about my batteries. they are two 12 volt interstate batteries in parallel. I am going out today and check the water. Have not done that in a couple months.

namusmc65 - If the battery was an issue, it'd be a problem in either direction. Test off shore power to rule the battery out. My money is on the slide/gears/motor on the way back in. If it's binding, it'll cause the motor to slow/stall and possibly pop a fuse. You might check to see if the slide is out of sync or misaligned. My Jayco slide uses a motor on either side. If they get out of sync, they get cockeyed and stuck if you try hard enough. Good Luck!
Old 03-27-2019, 04:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerbacker_TX View Post
namusmc65 - If the battery was an issue, it'd be a problem in either direction.
Not really since there is normally more battery load bringing the slide in.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:55 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Not really since there is normally more battery load bringing the slide in.
x2
Mine uses more power bringing in the slide that letting it out. No clue as to why, but that is how it works.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerbacker_TX View Post
namusmc65 - If the battery was an issue, it'd be a problem in either direction. Test off shore power to rule the battery out. My money is on the slide/gears/motor on the way back in. If it's binding, it'll cause the motor to slow/stall and possibly pop a fuse. You might check to see if the slide is out of sync or misaligned. My Jayco slide uses a motor on either side. If they get out of sync, they get cockeyed and stuck if you try hard enough. Good Luck!
How do you check if the slide is misaligned? It does open and close all the way but I can see where there is a mark on the side of the window where it looks like it is scraping. I did notice the lock nuts underneath for the adjustment had worked loose. I tightened it back down where it was. I am thinking maybe the squeal is coming from the slide scraping on the side going in and out and not underneath from the rails. I guess you could start the slide out or in and stop it and then measure the distance on each side in the same spot and see if the measurements are equal???

Joe Hinson
Old 03-28-2019, 07:44 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
How do you check if the slide is misaligned?.......snip
Check the gaps around the outer vertical slide flanges when the slide is closed (and the half-way point as you mentioned), sometimes this will give an indication if the slide needs adjustment. Mine was off a little and I made the adjustment..., it can only be made at one end of the slide.

There are other slide adjustments and the following links may be helpful:

Lippert thru-frame slide adjustment (OEM manual):

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...CD_0001612.pdf

Lippert thru-frame slide service manual:

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...Out-Manual.pdf

.... and another source for general slide info & videos:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...eos-50857.html

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)