Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-15-2022, 07:22 PM   #1

Question Slides jerky

Our 2018 Eagle HT 28.5 slides are jerky when retracting. The roofs seem to be sticking along the top against the seals. Has anyone ever used a product that makes the slide roof slippery?
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 12:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teroy View Post
Our 2018 Eagle HT 28.5 slides are jerky when retracting. The roofs seem to be sticking along the top against the seals. Has anyone ever used a product that makes the slide roof slippery?
You don't mention if you have slide toppers or not, but you do want to regularly clean and treat your roof as well as the slide seals. There's any number of products out there, I'm partial to the 303 products.

Just Google RV roof and seal conditioners and you'll find all kinds of products.
2019 Jayco Jayflight 28RLS (New York)
The latest government survey finds that 3 out of 4 people account for 75% of the total population.
JB13502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 12:43 PM   #3

Thumbs up

Yes, I have slide toppers. Thanks for the response and information.
Old 04-18-2022, 01:06 PM   #4

What type of slide system do you have? Is this a recent change in their operation? The top and sides of our slides have “sweeper” type of seals that brush against the slide but wouldn’t be capable of interfering with the slide movement. Our two “big” slides have lippert thru frame mechanisms and will move with a slight “jerking” motion and have done this since new. The bedroom slide is the smallest and has a Schwintech drive which moves smoothly.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 01:39 PM   #5

Have you looked between the slide roof and the slide topper? Might have some debris up there that is causing some issues. I do use a 303 spray on my seals a couple times a year.

Do you know what slide mechanism you have in your camper?

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 01:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Have you looked between the slide roof and the slide topper? Might have some debris up there that is causing some issues. I do use a 303 spray on my seals a couple times a year.

I agree with Jagivens. I've had a couple of problems when retracting a slide, one was at home and had a few large white pine cones lodged between the slide top and the trailer. My fault for not looking before retracting the slide.
The second one was at a campground, kids next site over playing with a tennis ball that ended on top of the slide. Not blaming the kids by any means. Things happen.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 02:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
What type of slide system do you have? Is this a recent change in their operation? The top and sides of our slides have “sweeper” type of seals that brush against the slide but wouldn’t be capable of interfering with the slide movement. Our two “big” slides have lippert thru frame mechanisms and will move with a slight “jerking” motion and have done this since new. The bedroom slide is the smallest and has a Schwintech drive which moves smoothly.
The slide with the jerky problem is a Schwintek. I've done all the usual lubrication things to the system. I'll try using a 303 product on the slide roof.
Old 04-18-2022, 03:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post

It's a Schwintek system. The slide roof has no debris.

I know it's not recommended but I recently read a post elsewhere that said open the slides before lowering the landing gear. That way you're not twisting the frame. I imagine that would also apply to the rear stabilizers. That method cured the problem.

With all the posters who have this problem, I plan to give it a try so don't jump all over me. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. The poster made the argument that slide was set up in the factory without the landing gear down. Twisting the frame, causing the problem makes a lot of sense.