Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-01-2016, 05:00 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Bedford, Qc.
Posts: 35
Well, as a good Canadian we should register all high ticket items before leaving Canada with your Local Customs office or keep the Canadian bill of sale as proof. The resulting taxes and duties and penalities if caught would cancel any savings and would leave you open to increased inspection on any following trips ( Customs has a long memory). Also just because you may have gotten through on the first trip back, you may be caught on another trip if you cannot produce proof of origin. But I don not want any trouble with border crossing and it is wise not to mess with Customs (U.S. or Canadian). The ability to travel between our two countries in good conscience is and worry free is PRICELESS.
__________________

Pickup jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:10 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 255
Totally agree! I claim and pay duty on everything. That one was especially tricky cause our small side business bought it and had to go thru the commercial side.
__________________

__________________
2015 29QBS
2015 Sierra 2500 6.0l
2009 Silverado (gone and missed!)
canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:58 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Nukeneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Northern Nevada
Posts: 267
So just curious. If you bought a Champion for $500 in the states and it cost you $700 in Canada, do you have to pay the difference in duty?
__________________
2015 Jayco White Hawk 28dsbh
2014 Ford F150 4x4 w/Ecoboost
H/D tow package

2005 Forest River Rockwood 2601 (Sold)
2011 Ford Expedition XLT (Sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler (Just for fun!)
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:05 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 255
We always have to pay taxes but duty is dependent on where the product was made. Mexico and U.S. Products are duty free. Some countries have very high duties so doing homework before going would be important.
__________________
2015 29QBS
2015 Sierra 2500 6.0l
2009 Silverado (gone and missed!)
canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:51 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 96
Don't forget exchange rate is crazy right now. 500 US = 609.20 CDN. As per today's rate.
__________________
2014 Jayco X19H
2013 Ford Flex
Raspberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:38 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Seann45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Saskatoon Sask Canada
Posts: 9,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukeneck View Post
So just curious. If you bought a Champion for $500 in the states and it cost you $700 in Canada, do you have to pay the difference in duty?
No you only pay duty on what you spent.. US dollars converted to Canadian dollars.. Normally the duty is the GST+PST of the province you crossed back into.. which is why I always cross back into Alberta..
__________________
Seann
2004 Chev Silverado Duramax optioned past the max. 2009 Jayco Eagle 308 RLS 765 watts of solar, 6-6 volt batteries (696 amp hour), 2000 watt (4000 surge) whole house inverter.
175 days boondocking in 2017
215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:53 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dale Hollow Lake Tn/Ky
Posts: 1,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickup jockey View Post
Well, as a good Canadian we should register all high ticket items before leaving Canada with your Local Customs office or keep the Canadian bill of sale as proof. The resulting taxes and duties and penalities if caught would cancel any savings and would leave you open to increased inspection on any following trips ( Customs has a long memory). Also just because you may have gotten through on the first trip back, you may be caught on another trip if you cannot produce proof of origin. But I don not want any trouble with border crossing and it is wise not to mess with Customs (U.S. or Canadian). The ability to travel between our two countries in good conscience is and worry free is PRICELESS.
Not advocating breaking the law, but really "register all high ticket items"?? At $1000 my H2000 was for sure not cheap, but it is far from what I consider a high ticket item. Just see "registration" as a path for future confiscation or taxation. As a good American I join others in fighting against registration of common personal items, expensive or otherwise. We register vehicles including cars trucks rvs and boats but my 3d flat screen, pc, and mobile devices are no ones business. All of this is one reason I have chosen not to drive north on several trips near our northern border.
Bassdogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:35 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
robert9999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Orlando
Posts: 261
Powerhorse 2000 watt from Northern tool is under 50 lbs & quiet $600.
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:10 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Maine
Posts: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Not advocating breaking the law, but really "register all high ticket items"?? At $1000 my H2000 was for sure not cheap, but it is far from what I consider a high ticket item. Just see "registration" as a path for future confiscation or taxation. As a good American I join others in fighting against registration of common personal items, expensive or otherwise. We register vehicles including cars trucks rvs and boats but my 3d flat screen, pc, and mobile devices are no ones business. All of this is one reason I have chosen not to drive north on several trips near our northern border.
Its a shame. You will only have problems if Douanes Canada thinks you will resell the item being brought north.

We have done about 150 border crossings over the years and twice I was bringing items for resale. They were declared and taxed.

You will have no problem if you do not volunteer information and just answer the question" Are you bringing items to leave in Canada". Do not give any other info like" I have three big screen TV's" unless asked!

I've made trips to Canada since then and never had my gear gone through. yes with mobile devices and computer and canoes.
__________________
2012 Honda Ridgeline
2016 195 RB

Both well used. Now up to 170 nights camping and 40,000 miles on the TT since purchase.
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:12 PM   #20
Junior Member
 
Giljmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 22
Pickup Jockey:
When it comes to generators there are usually three trains of thoughts: Honda v Yamaha v Everybody else.I fall into the everybody else category.With my pop-up, I did quite a few field rallyís, and still do.With that being said, I had water in my tanks but any and all power came from my Ryobi Inverter Generator 1800/2000.
Let me tell you I worked that thing like I stole it, for at least three/four years.Then I upgraded Trailer and generator.The only reason I had to upgrade the generator was because I now have a 15k AC.The Ryobi actually powered the lights, water pump, and AC (13K).Now I am not saying, it wasnít struggling, but it did it, July in Alabama for three years.
Please donít be lulled into thinking you must outlay a huge amount of money to accomplish your power needs. I think I paid around $450 for the Ryobi from Lowes/HD.It is quiet and purrs like a dream.It is very manageable.It has wheels, pull out handle and lightweight. No... Iím not trying to sell it.
I now have a Jayco 24rbs and a Champion 2800/3100. But I will hold onto the popup and Ryobi for when my children and their significant others want to go out and camp too.
__________________

Giljmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.