Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-04-2019, 02:48 PM   #21

with out reading all the posts.... I'd say, your batteries are toast... from what you said, you are living full time in the unit? I'd just fine an inexpensive 12 v at costco, walmart, or other low cost store... all you probably need is a group 24...I've had a spare 24 v since 2013 and it still works.... Your probably looking at about $50 bucks every 4 or 5 years.... I assume you can budget for that.
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:21 PM   #22

Had same thing happen to me. Batteries had been hooked up improperly and one of them boiled, causing it to smell like rotten eggs. Time for new batteries.
viclava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:28 PM   #23
CAG

Yeah, my guess too. If it smells like rotten eggs it has fried and is now toast.
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbysfan76 View Post
It's not a propane leak, it is 101% coming from the batteries. The btry's are performance plus DC maintenance free and I dont see a date, only a sticker that says J 7.
When you get the sulfur odor from a battery, it is a battery hydrogen explosion from spark hazard/ risk. While you got a short 2-3 yrs life, my coach battery was 7yo and my engine battery still strong pushing 8-yo. WHAT MORE could I ask? Spend $130 and put in a new RV/ Marine Group-27 or 31 and sleep well.
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:06 AM   #25

Stinky rotten batteries!

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Yes, I would suggest replacing the battery you will need it/them. However, I suggest going with AGM batteries or swing for lithium if you have the coin!

AGM, Absorption Glass Matt batteries, have a gel in them. They are pretty much maintenance free and are less expensive than lithium. Just make sure the charge controller on your rig can charge AGM. You may have to change a setting or buy an additional device to charge AGM’s.

Good luck let us all know your outcome. Happy trails
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:52 AM   #26
CAG

Quote:
AGM, Absorption Glass Matt batteries, have a gel in them. They are pretty much maintenance free and are less expensive than lithium. Just make sure the charge controller on your rig can charge AGM. You may have to change a setting or buy an additional device to charge AGM’s.
Assuming the rig has the Inteli-Power 9200 Series, as most do, AGM will be no problem, in-fact several AGMs will be fine. I ran 3 12 volt AGM's with the 9200 series with no problems, and the documentation mentions the unit with standard or AGM and multiple batteries being fine for the system.

I should add that the nice feature of AGM batteries is no gassing, no need for a box and venting and you can put them in any position (on their side) and be fine.
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Assuming the rig has the Inteli-Power 9200 Series, as most do, AGM will be no problem, in-fact several AGMs will be fine. I ran 3 12 volt AGM's with the 9200 series with no problems, and the documentation mentions the unit with standard or AGM and multiple batteries being fine for the system.

I should add that the nice feature of AGM batteries is no gassing, no need for a box and venting and you can put them in any position (on their side) and be fine.
AGM's still need venting, but it is different because they are (mostly) sealed. There is a small vent port on the top or side of the battery that should have a tube connected to outside air if in a sealed enclosure. My last truck had AGM installed under the rear seat and had to be vented.

AGM will still gas as well if boiled. And I think you are thinking of the various Lithium type batteries for the charging difference. Aside from the electrolyte carrier (the glass mat) I understand that AGM batteries are very similar to regular flooded lead acid batteries. Actually AGM's are also considered to be flooded batteries.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote