Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-25-2019, 12:06 PM   #1

Smells coming from 2015 Jayco batteries

Hi everyone, new guy here and basically a first time RV owner. The wife and I purchased a 2015 Jayco 33.5 RETS about 4 week's ago and a week ago I noticed a rotten egg / sewage smell inside after being closed up for several days. I could also smell it outside and in the compartment where the batteries were. It wasn't all the time, it seemed to come and go. After no smell all weekend, last night at about midnight the carbon monoxide detector went off and when we woke that egg smell was back and it was BAD!!!!!! I initially thought we had a propane leak and turned off all tanks and disconnected them but the smell was still bad. The smell seemed to be coming from the batteries so I disconnected them and took them out and the smell went away. Looking at the window on the batteries they both looked low on water. My question is do I need the batteries at all...I am in a permanent spot and it is always hooked up to power, we don't travel or anything. I have read that the batteries power the 12v stuff like radio time, microwave time, slides and carbon monoxide detector but all that stuff is still working on mine without the btry's.
cwbysfan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:54 PM   #2
Site Team

The batteries are provided and installed by the dealer. If you lose 120v, you will have no lights, alarms, fridge or furnace.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:12 PM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to the Forum from Western New York State!

It sounds like you need to replace that battery immediately. Over-charging a lead acid battery can produce hydrogen sulfide. The gas is colorless, very poisonous, flammable and has the odor of rotten eggs. An errant spark could produce an explosion of that gas. I've had a vehicles alternator go to full field charge, and the top of the battery blew off while I was driving it.

We don't want anyone here to be in harms way. Time for a new one, and stay safe.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:29 PM   #4

The batteries aren't needed on modern RVs but to run the slides or jack's. The converter isn't design to handle those high amp loads without a battery. So if you work your slides, you will need a battery.

As mentioned, no 120V, everything dies without batteries.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:33 PM   #5

In order to run slides and other stuff you need to have at least one 12 volt battery. I like Auto Zone as they have a great warranty nad you can buy a 2X battery; albeit 2X the price.

Now the source of the problem can come from two directions. First, check the voltage on the batteries while the RV is plugged into shore power. If it's over 14.5 volts chances are the voltage regulator in the inverter is shot and is over charging the batteries. Usually after about an hour of this the batteries are hot, and the water is bubbling furiously..

The other cause is the batteries are shot. Since it is at least 4 years old, and the batteries probably have been depleted several times hanging around the dealer's lot. Take them by the place you want to buy the batteries and have them checked.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbysfan76 View Post
The wife and I purchased a 2015 Jayco 33.5 RETS about 4 week's ago and a week ago I noticed a rotten egg / sewage smell inside after being closed up for several days. I could also smell it outside and in the compartment where the batteries were. It wasn't all the time, it seemed to come and go. After no smell all weekend, last night at about midnight the carbon monoxide detector went off and when we woke that egg smell was back and it was BAD!!!!!! I initially thought we had a propane leak and turned off all tanks and disconnected them but the smell was still bad. The smell seemed to be coming from the batteries so I disconnected them and took them out and the smell went away. Looking at the window on the batteries they both looked low on water.
cwbysfan - you said 2015 jayco. that's almost 5 years old now. did you check to see if the batteries were OEM or replaced later? I've heard that the onboard battery chargers on some of the older rigs may not be "smart" chargers and cause this type of issue. this is a new topic for me too, so my first thought would have been LPG leak. maybe a sealed battery would be a better option for replacement? since it's 12v, you can probably use a nice deep cycle battery instead.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:55 PM   #7

The batteries are out of the RV now and the window on the btry shows they are both empty but they are maintenance free so there is no way to refill them. I do have some Academy brand interstate dual purpose batteries. Would it be fine to just have 1 battery? I dont travel with the RV, it's always on shore power and the only time we'd operate the slides is to close them because of storms.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerbacker_TX View Post
cwbysfan - you said 2015 jayco. that's almost 5 years old now. did you check to see if the batteries were OEM or replaced later? I've heard that the onboard battery chargers on some of the older rigs may not be "smart" chargers and cause this type of issue. this is a new topic for me too, so my first thought would have been LPG leak. maybe a sealed battery would be a better option for replacement? since it's 12v, you can probably use a nice deep cycle battery instead.
It's not a propane leak, it is 101% coming from the batteries. The btry's are performance plus DC maintenance free and I dont see a date, only a sticker that says J 7.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:12 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Blame Jayco, blame the dealer always blame someone …..but can't we take responsibility ourselves? We perform better with doing research first. Information is wisdom and how better informed we are in true information how better we function as humans.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 02:20 PM   #10

Since you are in a permanent spot go find the cheapest 12v group 24 battery you can find and install that just for battery backup for your CO and propane alarms.
As someone mentioned above check the voltage from your converter and make sure it is around 13.2 volts while connected to a fully charged battery.

It could be as high as 14.4 while charging a low battery but should drop to 13.2 long term.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Blame Jayco, blame the dealer always blame someone …..but can't we take responsibility ourselves? We perform better with doing research first. Information is wisdom and how better informed we are in true information how better we function as humans.
Are you just working on getting your post counts up or something?
Old 11-25-2019, 02:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Are you sure you're on the right thread? There has been no one complaining about anything. All we are doing is trying to help the poor guy out with his problem.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:58 PM   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
2015 Jayco Batteries Stink …………...there is your information or wrong-information.
Leave the word Jayco out and you have the correct information.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:10 PM   #14

Quote:
2015 Jayco Batteries Stink …………...there is your information or wrong-information.
Leave the word Jayco out and you have the correct information.
Hey. He's a new guy with only four posts. He doesn't know the difference and that is your problem to be a lot more tolerant. Don't jump down the poor guy's throat, but try to help him. Remember, mean people suck.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:20 PM   #15

Oh ok, this is my mistake....by reading the title of my post it looks like I'm saying Jayco batteries stink. That wasn't my intent, I was meaning my batteries LITERALLY stink in my Jayco 5th wheel.
With that being said.....I think you need to relax a little ALJO.
And a huge thanks to everyone else who helped!!!!!!
Old 11-25-2019, 05:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbysfan76 View Post
Oh ok, this is my mistake....by reading the title of my post it looks like I'm saying Jayco batteries stink. That wasn't my intent, I was meaning my batteries LITERALLY stink in my Jayco 5th wheel.
With that being said.....I think you need to relax a little ALJO.
And a huge thanks to everyone else who helped!!!!!!
I didn't help in the thread, but I read it and even though the title of your thread could have been misleading, it wasn't as soon I as read your original post. Thanks for your calm response.

DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 05:40 PM   #17

I have the exact same model, although a 2014 model. I just replace my batteries a couple months ago so I got five years use out of them which I thought was pretty good. I bought a couple NAPA 12 volts and put them right back in. I have never had any problem with the batteries, I just noticed the voltage dropping under a load and decided to replace them. My dealer had installed dual batteries when we purchased our unit new as he said that is what he recommended on our unit. It came with one. We have not had any problems with the charging system as our rig stays plugged in all the time when we are home. I would get new ones in and see what happens.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:13 PM   #18
Site Team

The title of this thread has been changed to clarify the subject being discussed.

Site Team
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:57 PM   #19

If the batteries are dry and have been smelling like described....the only thing that comes to mind is they have been overcharged.

Before replacing the batteries, have the inverter charge function tested.......it is most likely not working properly and overcharging the batteries.....you'll ruin another set!
freetime58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:15 PM   #20

Even maintenance free batteries need checking for water levels. Almost all wet cell batteries have removable caps, maintenance free are just harder to remove.
FreeWill is offline   Reply With Quote