Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-26-2020, 06:25 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shokyle1 View Post
I would recommend sumo springs. Installed them on the rear of my f250. Noticeable reduction in chucking over bumps and bridges. Low cost and quick install.
I put SumoSprings on my F250 also, pulling an Eagle HT 30.5. They reduced the squat on my truck to about 1.5”. I’m considering putting these on our fifth wheel also. My understanding (from a camping forum I’m on) is that SumoSprings on a mid to heavy fifth wheel work wonders for that suspension. Still doing some research, but leaning that way right now
Old 09-26-2020, 07:38 PM   #22

Get a Hensley Hitch, problem solved.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstannard View Post
I agree that the Trailer Saver/Morryde combo looks ideal but I only have a goose ball and the TS requires either rails or the puck system. What experience has anyone had with the Lippert Flex Air pin box.
Thanks
Bill

What do you not have your 321rsts still, so are you going to trade up? Let me know if I'm being noisy, lol.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffur View Post
Get a Hensley Hitch, problem solved.
For a fifth wheel? Didn’t know there was a Hensley Hitch for a fifth wheel.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:24 PM   #25

In addition to the Hensley Trailer Saver hitch I would suggest looking into the MorRyde Independent Suspension. Makes a world of difference in overall ride quality.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:26 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
What do you not have your 321rsts still, so are you going to trade up? Let me know if I'm being noisy, lol.
Big 1,
321 has LCI shock kit, CRE3000 suspension linkage, wet pins. All I know to do to trailer other than independent suspension. We do have a 36SSWS on order that we won’t see until spring. Planning on selling the Eagle on our own as it’s perfect (I’m retired, anal, and always wanting to stay busy), and worth more than dealer is offering. Hope that answers your question (no, you’re not being too nosey).
Bill
1973 IH 1210 CC
1975 IH Travelall
1979 IH Scout II
[SIGPIC]
bstannard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 01:56 PM   #27

Always check the mirror!

I added air bags to the truck and really like them. However, some of those bridge transitions are horrible! Sometimes I will look in the mirrors to make sure there are still axels under the trailer. The abuse our equipment takes is amazing.
Old 09-27-2020, 03:57 PM   #28

We have the 321 , pulling with a 350 SRW 8 ft box crew cab. I use the Andersen Ultimate and installed an air Lift 5000 kit. No more heavy bouncing coming off a bad bridge deck.
mikensue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:54 PM   #29

That is why I have always upgraded the suspension on my current and previous 5th wheels. Prior to having the MorRyde IS installed I could see the trailer bounce hard 5,6,sometimes 7 times going onto and coming off those bridge decks. Now my trailer bounces only a couples times and the bounce is far less pronounced.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:22 PM   #30

I added the Sumosprings to my 5th wheels leaf suspension. It made the biggest difference in ride from anything that I've ever done...just my experience, yours may differ.
https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=...ing_Suspension
Old 10-21-2020, 02:41 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickandBecky View Post
I put SumoSprings on my F250 also, pulling an Eagle HT 30.5. They reduced the squat on my truck to about 1.5”. I’m considering putting these on our fifth wheel also. My understanding (from a camping forum I’m on) is that SumoSprings on a mid to heavy fifth wheel work wonders for that suspension. Still doing some research, but leaning that way right now
I just saw your post about the SumoSprings on your HT I also have a 2020 HT 30.5 CKTS. (with the 16" wheel upgrade) I installed the Sumos mostly to deal with the load imbalance on the kitchen slide side and the resulting compression of the springs on that side. I can say the Sumos made a huge improvement!
I'm not sure if you ever saw or were part of the discussions on this particular model and the issues with so much more weight on one side. I was able to put an additional spring plate on mine to get the Sumos to do the job and get it balanced.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 03:14 PM   #32

Great to know. I knew the kitchen slide (with a double fridge, oven, stovetop, pantry) had to be the heaviest on the rig. One question I’ve had is why did they use the Schwentec (sp) slide system on this heavy slide? That doesn’t make sense to me. We’ve already had a minor slide issue (motors out of sync) which caused the slide to hang up when it’s brought in. Got that ironed out. We have the 16” upgraded wheels/tires too, as you do. So, did you put the SumoSprings on all four wheels, I’m assuming? Thanks for the info!
Old 10-21-2020, 03:16 PM   #33

I’ve actually never noticed our fifth wheel leaning one way or the other. I have done CAT scales several times, but only to get pin weights and overall truck and trailer weights. I’ve not done driver’s side vs. passenger side yet, but probably should next time we’re out. Thanks again—Rick
Old 10-21-2020, 04:37 PM   #34

Quote:
I’ve actually never noticed our fifth wheel leaning one way or the other. I have done CAT scales several times, but only to get pin weights and overall truck and trailer weights. I’ve not done driver’s side vs. passenger side yet, but probably should next time we’re out. Thanks again—Rick
You might not want to know, LOL! The good news is that those axles are rated far enough over the GVW that you are not overloading that side unless you really pack it full. My concern was more about preventing tire rub and broken springs later on. I sent you a PM with some more details and links to a few threads that cover much of this issue.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
Old 10-21-2020, 04:47 PM   #35

Quote:
Great to know. I knew the kitchen slide (with a double fridge, oven, stovetop, pantry) had to be the heaviest on the rig. One question I’ve had is why did they use the Schwentec (sp) slide system on this heavy slide? That doesn’t make sense to me. We’ve already had a minor slide issue (motors out of sync) which caused the slide to hang up when it’s brought in. Got that ironed out. We have the 16” upgraded wheels/tires too, as you do. So, did you put the SumoSprings on all four wheels, I’m assuming? Thanks for the info!
Not to mention the water heater, batteries and propane are also on that same side, and there's also the BR slide to add into the mix!
I understand the use of the Schwintek, though I would prefer the old through frame myself if it were feasible. The kitchen slide has several rollers under the floor that support most of the weight. In theory, the Schwintek shouldn't be carrying much weight, it's just a mover, not a lifter. My only concern is with the bedroom slide, which is much shorter and lighter, but has no rollers under the floor of the slide - so the Schwintek is carrying that weight.
You mentioned your slide getting out of Synch...I assume you know the rule of holding the switch for at least a few seconds after the slide has fully extended or retracted so the controller keeps the motors in synch. That is one of the primary reasons they get out of synch. Yes, I did put 4 of the Sumos (one over each axle, both sides) I went into detail on that in a PM I sent you.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:08 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Ist View Post
You might not want to know, LOL! The good news is that those axles are rated far enough over the GVW that you are not overloading that side unless you really pack it full. My concern was more about preventing tire rub and broken springs later on. I sent you a PM with some more details and links to a few threads that cover much of this issue.
Got all the info that you sent, and have read through it. I haven’t checked to see which holes the springs on our fifth wheel are in, but I’ll know for sure in the morning! Thanks for all the great info—appreciate it!
Old 10-22-2020, 09:13 AM   #37

When we were in Bushnell, FL at the Escapees' Park, we did the "SmartWeigh", where they weigh each axle, left and right. Our driver's side (kitchen) was 1100 lbs heavier.
Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:20 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
When we were in Bushnell, FL at the Escapees' Park, we did the "SmartWeigh", where they weigh each axle, left and right. Our driver's side (kitchen) was 1100 lbs heavier.
Angus
Wow, that’s a lot of difference! I’m going to see if our local CAT scale can weigh each side separately. Just never thought to check, but will. Thanks!
Old 10-22-2020, 12:39 PM   #39

Quote:
Wow, that’s a lot of difference! I’m going to see if our local CAT scale can weigh each side separately. Just never thought to check, but will. Thanks!

There are also SmartWeigh locations at Livingston, TX and Congress, AZ, if that fits with your travel plans. It is $55 and requires an appointment, but you get a detailed analysis and a lot of one-on-one time with the "WeighMaster".

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:45 PM   #40

Thanks! We’re not too far from Livingston, and in fact, planning a camping trip there in the near future. Will check it out then.