Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-02-2021, 10:49 PM   #1

Snow Load

Does anyone know what the snow load limit is for an Eagle? Trying to decide if I need to go try to push the snow off the roof.

I am at about 18" with no prospect of it melting any time soon.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottenj View Post
Does anyone know what the snow load limit is for an Eagle? Trying to decide if I need to go try to push the snow off the roof.

I am at about 18" with no prospect of it melting any time soon.
If it were mine... I would have cleared it already.

Don't ask me how I know
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:08 PM   #3
Site Team

I don't worry about that much snow, here in NY. It's building up as we speak. Watch this video on how Jayco tests the Magnum Truss Roof with a butt load of concrete blocks, placed on end, all over the whole thing, testing for any weight deflection or damage. It's pretty impressive, IMHO. You can skip ahead to see the quantity of blocks they use.

"][/URL]

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
If it were mine... I would have cleared it already.

Don't ask me how I know
I would expect that Jayco actually has a snow load rating, it is a standard part of roof design for buildings. I can try Jayco or my dealer but my experience is that takes forever.

Mine is so high it is really hard to clean off.

Have you had a roof fail? Searching on-line it seems like there are a lot of people in really high snow areas that don't have any problems.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
I don't worry about that much snow, here in NY. It's building up as we speak. Watch this video on how Jayco tests the Magnum Truss Roof with a butt load of concrete blocks, placed on end, all over the whole thing, testing for any weight deflection or damage. It's pretty impressive, IMHO. You can skip ahead to see the quantity of blocks they use.

"][/URL]
While the video looks impressive without knowing the size of the roof segment they are testing you can't figure out the pounds per square foot and how that compares to snow load. My guess is Jayco has an actual snow load rating since that is a standard part of roof design at least for buildings. I was hoping to get the number without trying to get it out of Jayco or my dealer.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:51 PM   #6
Site Team

If you find a load limit, please share it here. I know the question has come up recently here. I seem to remember a paragraph in the generis manual stating to remove any snow from the roof. That may be a liability statement on their part, like the hot coffee/McD's issue years ago. Like the saying goes..."28 grams of prevention, is worth 1/2 a kilogram of cure"!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:15 AM   #7

Quote:
I would expect that Jayco actually has a snow load rating, it is a standard part of roof design for buildings. I can try Jayco or my dealer but my experience is that take forever.

Mine is so high it is really hard to clean off.
If you are saying that it will be a long time before melt... you should have invested in a roof rake... they come with a 30' handle and it is really easy to clear a ton of snow from an RV roof... I use it to clear the snow off our 2nd story of the house at the same time.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
If you are saying that it will be a long time before melt... you should have invested in a roof rake... they come with a 30' handle and it is really easy to clear a ton of snow from an RV roof... I use it to clear the snow off our 2nd story of the house at the same time.
My first goal here is to figure out when/if I need to do it. Doing a Google search there are a lot of people who live in high snow regions and say they have never cleared snow and never had a problem in some cases going back decades.

A lot of people also comment that RV dealers never do it to units on their lot. My dealer is trying to get an answer out of Jayco.

If I need to do it, I will figure out something safe, a snow rake may be an option but it won't be straight forward because I have solar panels with wiring running along the roof.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:50 PM   #9

I make a trip up in end of Jan/Feb and take off whatever is on top.. usually if there is more than 18" I take it off so I feel better... do I need to ? whatever the owners manual states if it states anything at all.

if we get allot of snow in Dec and it is over 2 feet I make a special run but only because I don't care to have up to 3feet of snow being slowly melted or with allot of water in it... besides I have to blow out the road and parking area anyway...
i just get up and crawl around on my knees pulling it off by hand so i don't mess up anything... it takes awhile but i need the exercise!
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 09:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post

"][/URL]
My dealer tried to get an answer from Jayco and got nothing.

I was thinking about this some more, so this is 4,800 pounds over a roof section of unknown size and that seems like a lot but.....

I live in Massachusetts and looked at the building code to see what snow load they call for, 45 to 65 pounds per square foot, on my RV that is 15,120 to 21,840 pounds, so the 4,800 pounds isn't so impressive unless it is a section of roof about a quarter the size of mine.

My dealer did say that in 30 years they have only cleaned off a roof if there was lot of drifting or particularly wet/heavy snow and he has never had a problem.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:48 AM   #11

If you decide to go the roof snow rake route, just remember that the TT roof will have plumbing vents, appliance vents, antenna(s), skylights, etc attached. A snow rake can create carnage with those items if you aren't careful.

I have an old aluminum snow rake. When I use it, I adhere to the motto: "Be afraid, be very afraid". I usually work off an extension ladder so I can see the entire roof.
The plastic snow rakes are probably more forgiving.
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsea5 View Post
If you decide to go the roof snow rake route, just remember that the TT roof will have plumbing vents, appliance vents, antenna(s), skylights, etc attached. A snow rake can create carnage with those items if you aren't careful.

I have an old aluminum snow rake. When I use it, I adhere to the motto: "Be afraid, be very afraid". I usually work off an extension ladder so I can see the entire roof.
The plastic snow rakes are probably more forgiving.
Actually my situation is even worse, solar panels with wires running along the roof, that is why I really wanted to get to a real answer on when I have to clear it off because it is really hard. When I had a travel trailer I used to put a cover over it and that made snow removal less risky but I didn't get a cover for my Fifth Wheel because I think it makes it easier for critters to get in. I may need to rethink that.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:50 PM   #13

My eagle HT owners manual say excessive snow 8" or more or 2" of ice must be removed.
pwadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:10 PM   #14

I've been using a plastic snow rake on mine, but my Jay Feather has a flat roof with a reputation for sagging. The Eagle roof can probably take a lot more weight.
Bring your 18" down to about 4" and you'll stay well away from the panels and the wiring. You don't need to get it all off, just enough to lessen the load. I usually get mine down to around 2" being careful around vent covers and antennas. In our area it's not unusual to have several feet of ground accumulation by end of winter.
Took me about 20 minutes last weekend, allow double that for a larger trailer. I use snow shoes to get around mine on the ground and a step ladder to increase my attack angle. I do not rest the ladder on the trailer, or get up on the roof at all. The ladder is pretty steady as the feet sink a good foot or more through the snow.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:13 PM   #15

Just a follow up on the snow load warning out of the book.

camper roof snow warning.pdf
Old 02-04-2021, 07:14 PM   #16

Drive by your local RV dealer, see how they handle it.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 08:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Drive by your local RV dealer, see how they handle it.
I called them, they almost never do anything, only if there is a lot of drifting or unusually heavy snow.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:18 AM   #18

An inch of water weighs about 5 lbs/sqft. For fluffy snow, a foot of snow is about an inch of water. As it compacts, it weighs more per foot of depth of course. So your 18 inches of snow probably weighs about 10 lbs/sq ft. If your camper roof is 20' long, you have about 2000 lbs of weight up there. Jayco brags about handling a 4500 lb roof load. That's not all that much snow.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 11:48 AM   #19

Quote:
I called them, they almost never do anything, only if there is a lot of drifting or unusually heavy snow.
I think that's your answer then
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 04:43 PM   #20

I went up on my roof today clearing over 12" off. We have another storm coming in tomorrow. I found along the length of the drip edges and on top rear sections, ice was building up from the freeze/ thaw cycles. I think i am going to keep after any accumulation to combat the ice buildup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210206_143329.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	67815

Click image for larger version

Name:	camper roof ice.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	67816

« Light Fixtures | Dryer Install »