Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-17-2021, 08:36 PM   #1

Snow removal

Currently have about 8 inches of snow on my 5th wheel. What are some good ideas for snow removal?

Jason
M109pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:28 PM   #2

If it is light and fluffy a leaf blower works great. If it is wet and heavy a soft bristle push broom will do the job.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M109pilot View Post
Currently have about 8 inches of snow on my 5th wheel. What are some good ideas for snow removal?

Jason
I have had to clear my roof twice so far this year. In addition to all the Jayco stuff on the roof I added four solar panels with wires running along the roof and a antenna array for cellular, WiFi and GPS.

I have a 12' step ladder, I get up high enough to see the roof and then use a True Temper 17' snow "rake". It has a kind of rectangular plastic end on it and it works pretty well.
Old 02-19-2021, 12:54 PM   #4

Snow. Posting photos for a friend. They are hoping for the best. They are letting nature takes course.

Remember all the Jayco employees standing on the roof of a Jayco rig in the brochure that you looked at when considering buy a Jayco? 12 year roof warranty. Strongest roof in the industry.

Marko
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210216_130218.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	68149Click image for larger version

Name:	20210215_155628.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	68150
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:57 PM   #5

Just leave it to melt. All the dealers near me have three feet plus of snow on every RV on the lot. That roof can handle a lot more than 8 inches, why risk hurting yourself clearing it off
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 01:05 PM   #6

Compounding Glacier Effect

I initially wasn't concerned about the snow but eventually went out and gently pulled as much snow off the roof as I could. We've had so many freeze thaws that the snow was compacting and compressing into some heavy glacial type build-ups. Unfortunately the biggest part of the ice is frozen to the cover and will have stay until temps rise to thaw it. I guess if I would have kept up with the first snow and removed each new snow before the thaw/freeze cycle started I could have avoided the glacier.
JDug66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 01:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
why risk hurting yourself clearing it off
Which is what my stupid self just did. Got up on the roof with my plastic snow shovel, took about 8'' off and left 2''. Not sure why I did it but we have rain/freezing rain coming and I just didn't want the extra weight I guess. I have never done it in the 9 years I've had the camper and I'm not gonna do it again.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 02:12 PM   #8

If you're concerned, just fire up the RV furnace and let it run at 80 degrees for a couple of days. That will melt a lot of the ice and snow from the bottom up.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 03:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko View Post
Snow. Posting photos for a friend. They are hoping for the best. They are letting nature takes course.

Remember all the Jayco employees standing on the roof of a Jayco rig in the brochure that you looked at when considering buy a Jayco? 12 year roof warranty. Strongest roof in the industry.

Marko
Attachment 68149Attachment 68150
Mine looked like yours, I took a plastic snow rake for the 4th time this year and pulled it down. Then I ran the snowblower through the 2 feet on each side. Another Heavy snow coming Sunday
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 03:38 PM   #10

Our first “long” trip lasted 6 weeks and included a stop to visit the Tetons and Yellowstone. They got an early snow that was only 3” or so. Wasn’t a problem until we were prepping to leave. The slide toppers (3) couldn’t roll up due to the snow. I used my telescoping scrub brush to get enough of it off so they could roll. Took a while but it got done.
Y’stone is beautiful in the snow!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 05:01 PM   #11

I use a floor squeegee and a broom on the roof. The squeegee has the rubber on it to protect roof. I used it to remove over 12" already. I don't have solar though.
pwadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 06:39 AM   #12

Bill Johnson

The roof rake is a very hot item here in suburbs of Chicago right now. So they are hard to come by.

Local newscasters recommend staying of your roof but a roof rake would work from the ground but use it up from the gutters by 3 feet or enough to keep the gutters clear. Newscasters state the amount of snow we have weighs about 15 pounds per square foot and by local code our roofs are weighted to 45 pounds per square foot. So I think the rig will be okay. I will update with inside photos when the snow is gone.

Marko
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko View Post
Bill Johnson

The roof rake is a very hot item here in suburbs of Chicago right now. So they are hard to come by.

Local newscasters recommend staying of your roof but a roof rake would work from the ground but use it up from the gutters by 3 feet or enough to keep the gutters clear. Newscasters state the amount of snow we have weighs about 15 pounds per square foot and by local code our roofs are weighted to 45 pounds per square foot. So I think the rig will be okay. I will update with inside photos when the snow is gone.

Marko
I used the roof rake above the patio door and the gazebo because all the gutters are filled with ice and it was dripping on the deck making it dangerous to walk on. We have a thaw starting, most should be gone in a couple of weeks unless we get more snow
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote