Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #1

Sofa Question

I am looking into replacing my 2 rocker/recliners with a new couch from camping world for additional bed in my fifth wheel. My question is has anyone tried to remove the chairs from the camper and fit a couch through the door, I have a jayco designer model so there is not a whole lot of room once entering the camper. Do those beds come apart to fit through easier? The 2 chairs are currently in the back of the camper against the rear window.
2004 Dodge Ram Diesel 4dr
sootsweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:33 PM   #2

We also have a Designer 5er, a 2004 29RLTS, with the two recliners in the back next to the large window. Decided that we only needed one, and took the other one out the door and into the house. Took two people to do it, holding the chair sideways and guiding it around and through the door opening. Snug fit, but we did it with no problem. Also, to keep the bottom metal pedestal from shifting during this process, I put a bolt through a convenient hole in the lower framework that sticks out and prevents pedestal movement.

As for the couch, I have no experience on this one, but I think it is possible to take some of them apart - you just have to inspect them closely underneath before you buy.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:31 PM   #3

We took one of the couches out of our 330RLTS travel trailer. It was close but nothing got marked up.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #4

You don't say if you have slides or not. My designer has the 2 chairs at the back and a slide on each side. I would have to be sure that if I replaced them with a coach that it would be narrow enough for the slides to clear when retracted. Most hide a bed type couch can be taken apart or if not to long can be opened up stood on end and will fir in the door. Most are heavy, so get plenty of help.
https://www.rvbloggersonline.blogspot.com
MHbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:41 AM   #5

We just did this last weekend. Took 2 STRONG guys to move the couch as it is HEAVY. Make sure the couch is tied so it will not open when lifting and turning. We stood the couch on end and rotated it around the corner and put it into place. I have the double slide in our coach so there was room for the couch. We ordered the couch the day we bought the coach so the 2 couches would match. Now we can sleep 6 people.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #6

I have an 2012-321RLTS, I was wandering the same. I have 2 recliners across from the couch. Can one of those sofa fits and will I have enough room to open both since my hide away bed is directly across from it.
2012 Dodge 3500
US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population
rthibodaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #7

Got the recliners out and the new couch in with no problems. The new couch fits perfect, also it was not difficult at all to get the old out and the new in....
2004 Dodge Ram Diesel 4dr
sootsweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #8

My wife and I bought a sofa from CW last Friday, we remove the 2 recliners and put the sofa in with no problems. Now she can lie down and I can lie down and watch TV. We went camping this week mwith 2 out of 4 grandkide and didn't have to open the blowup bed. One slept on the new sofa, which open up to a bed and the other one on the table. The best part is we can open both beds and still havee room to walk between them.
2012 Dodge 3500
US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population
rthibodaux is offline   Reply With Quote