Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-12-2019, 07:40 PM   #1

Solar

Ok. I have a 2017 325BHQS. Construction industry has been great last year and lucky for me as the GM of my company I received a nice bonus end of 2018. So looking at the new toys for my 5th wheel. One thing I have been considering is solar due to we park it at a family member's farm. I can plug in BUT due to where my plug is at, it is not good for keeping it plugged in (Cord has to run through the grass). So plugging up a day before the trip is ok but due to mowing and such, it would be a pain to stay plugged in for my family member as they would be constantly having to unplug it weekly for mowing. So this gets to my question. I am looking for solar to keep my battery charged. Would like the option if we start boondocking more, to upgrade it further to higher Watts. BUT for now more of to tend to the battery to keep it healthy. Any suggestions on smaller EXPANDABLE kits that work well with our pre-wiring for solar? I know there are plenty of posts on solar but for my purpose I want something big enough to do the purpose but not wanting to over do it and wasting money I don't need to waste. (As a construction manager and the horrible economy for last 10 years, we have had to learn to be VERY careful with our money haha) Thanks in advance, also if someone has a post or seen one from someone looking to do similar please share. I looked in search and found more people talking about bigger kits for boondocking.
Chiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:29 PM   #2

I started with 150watt kit been adding to it will be at 450watts this year. If you plan on expanding make sure you run 8awg from the panel to the controller, I ran 12awg, being cheap since it came with the kit, now to run 450 watts have to upgrade to 8. If you ensure everything is mc4 connectors adding after the fact is super easy. Add the panel, change the connector good to go. Other thing is make sure your useing 2 or 4 6V. 150 is a good start for maintanenc but for regular use 300 is a must.
hymanykd is offline   Reply With Quote