Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-31-2019, 06:58 AM   #1

Solar Panel Frame Grounding

I have just ordered 100/50 Victron Solar Controller. It can be installed in a negative or positive grounded system.

However, installation instructions stipulate that the solar array NOT be ground through the positive/negative connections of the array itself.

It does recommend grounding the panel frames for lightening protection. Also, it says, the controller itself may be grounded to the chassis of the coach.

Has anyone had experience with grounding the panel array using the frame only for protection against lightening strikes? If so, how did you do it? Were ground wires run to all of the frames.

I plan on purchasing 4 Renogy 100 w panels.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:39 AM   #2

Grounding the panel frames would be a waste of time.
The whole camper is sitting on rubber tires and is not grounded. If hooked to shore power, the whole electrical system (at least) is toast, and I would wager the camper will be written off. Jacks or stabilizers won't be enough to ground the camper to prevent damage.
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt6283 View Post
The whole camper is sitting on rubber tires and is not grounded. If hooked to shore power, the whole electrical system (at least) is toast, and I would wager the camper will be written off. Jacks or stabilizers won't be enough to ground the camper to prevent damage.
Yea, that is my initial reaction too. However, I am not an expert and I want to do due diligence since I have never installed solar panels before. Definitely do not want to miss something.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:23 PM   #4
Site Team

There is no need to ground the SOLAR panel frame.

The answer is a YES/No when asked if the RV is grounded.

If you unplug your Shore-Power, you do not have any stabilizers touching the ground and for a TT, the front jack is not in contact with the ground (on plastic spacers), it would be a pretty good guess that the RV/TT is not grounded. Oh, don't forget the metal chain at the tongue which may be in contact with the ground.

If the stabilizers or front jack are in direct contact with the ground itself (no plastic spacers), you are grounded.

Normally when the radar shows BRIGHT red, and only then, I disconnect the shore-power, as there are a lot of lightning strikes that hit the power lines. I do have a surge-protector, but I would rather pull the plug. During the day, the SOLAR/Batteries handles the loads, and the batteries can handle the night without shore-power.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 02:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
There is no need to ground the SOLAR panel frame.

The answer is a YES/No when asked if the RV is grounded.

If you unplug your Shore-Power, you do not have any stabilizers touching the ground and for a TT, the front jack is not in contact with the ground (on plastic spacers), it would be a pretty good guess that the RV/TT is not grounded. Oh, don't forget the metal chain at the tongue which may be in contact with the ground.

If the stabilizers or front jack are in direct contact with the ground itself (no plastic spacers), you are grounded.

Normally when the radar shows BRIGHT red, and only then, I disconnect the shore-power, as there are a lot of lightning strikes that hit the power lines. I do have a surge-protector, but I would rather pull the plug. During the day, the SOLAR/Batteries handles the loads, and the batteries can handle the night without shore-power.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Thanks Don, appreciate your response. Did you ground your Solar Controller to the chassis? That would be an easy thing to do.

However, apparently, according to NEC (residential regulations), the controller should be grounded to a Ground Fault Protection Device. Seems like overkill to me but I have no experience with Solar.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt6283 View Post
I don’t want to sound snarky but the tires on any vehicle are not effective insulators against lightning. That’s a myth we grew up with along with “don’t go swimming right after eating”.

Metal autos are relatively safe in storms because they effectively create faraday cages, directing the charge around the perimeter of the vehicle. Except for airstreams and other metal RVs I don’t think a lot of ours with wood and composites would offer the same.

To be fair, there is still a lot of debate amongst engineers in other industries such as marine and heavy equipment about grounding for protection. This is a good thread and I’ll be interested to see how it plays out. We have solar prep on our rig and may want to go that way in the future.

-angus
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:20 PM   #7

The sheer magnitude of power of a direct lightning strike may likely cause so much damage to the structure and/or electrics that the camper would be totaled anyway. Not to mention the ensuing fire.
So all the smaller concerns about component bonding are of little consequence.

I'd be more concerned about camping in the woods and a nearby tree being struck... or blown down on the camper. Or lightning striking the power lines and a big surge frying my electrics.

2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grounding, solar, solar panel